Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

That is a very good letter from the fans which contains a message loud and clear to Zamparini: shut the f*ck up!

I wonder how he will react.

Man, Rome was great and the match was good, too. Sadly, Roma didnt manage to win (I like Napoli as well, but being in Rome, I had to cheer for the host).

The atmosphere was good but not great I'd say. I think that Curva Sud has seen better days. Nonetheless it was great to experience a Serie A game, the flags they were waving were awesome. The noise made by the Napoli fans was huge, they did a great job despite being the minority in the stadium.

i told u roma would have blown your mind ;)
did u get to hear roma's main chant? it's absolutely breathetaking.
my very favourite chant, better than napoli's o surdato nnammurato, better than liverpool's you'll never walk alone.
great music, great lyrics..... and hearing it live just gives u goosebumps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPg9qGxlm0
it makes u want to sing along... even if u're not a roma fan :))

PLF said:
I hope somebody beats the crap out of Zamparini one of these days!

Nothing serious but enough for him to get a rude awakening!
LOL! that sounds a bit harsh.... but i sure know what u mean ;)

Last edited:

i told u roma would have blown your mind ;)
did u get to hear roma's main chant? it's absolutely breathetaking.
my very favourite chant, better than napoli's o surdato nnammurato, better than liverpool's you'll never walk alone.
great music, great lyrics..... and hearing it live just gives u goosebumps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPg9qGxlm0
it makes u want to sing along... even if u're not a roma fan :))

I love that song, Ben. I know it for years and also know the lyrics. I was singing with the fans on Saturday and recorded it with my cam, going to upload it soon. :D I agree with you, its probably the best chant.

Edit:
YouTube - Inno della Roma (AS Roma-SSC Napoli, 12.02.2011)

Last edited:

Hope Napoli win the league, my fav team is Roma though, although they're getting owned at the moment.

Milan are top, but IMHO they have no chance of winning the league and are blowing ti big-time in 2011, Inter for me will come through and win it again, Leonardo is doing a terrific job I think and has started this year off well. I thought they had no chance of winning the league and then they've just crept straight back up with Milan faltering all over the place.

FD

Hope Napoli win the league, my fav team is Roma though, although they're getting owned at the moment.

Milan are top, but IMHO they have no chance of winning the league and are blowing ti big-time in 2011, Inter for me will come through and win it again, Leonardo is doing a terrific job I think and has started this year off well. I thought they had no chance of winning the league and then they've just crept straight back up with Milan faltering all over the place.

FD

More than Leonardo doing a "terrific" job (I could agree, but I'm afraid we have a different concept of the word "terrific"), it's Milan faltering all over the place.

Napoli winning the league would be the nail on Serie A's coffin. Except the attack, Napoli is a horrible team.

Well, i've seen Milan only in the CL.
It seems impossible that this ramshackle team can win the Serie A.
They were useless, lethargic against Spurs and IMO Spurs are a good team but not really a top team, they are quite vulnerable.

Napoli winning the league would be the nail on Serie A's coffin. Except the attack, Napoli is a horrible team.

I think Napoli winning Serie A would be the best thing to happen in Italian sport for 4-5 years.

It will smash the convenient clique of Juve/Milan to a lesser extent Inter but how on earth can you say it will be the nail on Serie A's coffin ??

A horrible team ? Are you telling me De Sanctis is a "horrible" keeper, how is he worse than Abbiati ? Paolo Cannavaro, Aronica, Santacroce are these not good players ? Pazienza, Gargano, Zunyiga, even Dossena - are these horrible players?

It's a poor show to use words such as "horrible" and phrases like "nail in the coffin", in a post deviod of any actual discussion of the merits of Napoli's team. I don't want to turn this into a thread about Northern Italy vs Southern Italy but that post has all the hallmarks of a prejudiced person who chants "Napoli Colera!" at the weekends and thinks the world ends south of the River Po.

If you're going to argue that Napoli winning the league is bad for Italy at least set out a rationale. Don't just say "oh it's horrible". Some of the stuff written about Napoli (not just the team but the city and in fact the south in general) is so prejudiced, you know the whole city is not like the movies you see of Scampia.

I'd happily lose Serie A to Napoli. They are a team fueled by passion and attack. They have so much energy and enthusiasm that it makes me happy when they win games.

I think Napoli winning Serie A would be the best thing to happen in Italian sport for 4-5 years.

It will smash the convenient clique of Juve/Milan to a lesser extent Inter but how on earth can you say it will be the nail on Serie A's coffin ??

A horrible team ? Are you telling me De Sanctis is a "horrible" keeper, how is he worse than Abbiati ? Paolo Cannavaro, Aronica, Santacroce are these not good players ? Pazienza, Gargano, Zunyiga, even Dossena - are these horrible players?

It's a poor show to use words such as "horrible" and phrases like "nail in the coffin", in a post deviod of any actual discussion of the merits of Napoli's team. I don't want to turn this into a thread about Northern Italy vs Southern Italy but that post has all the hallmarks of a prejudiced person who chants "Napoli Colera!" at the weekends and thinks the world ends south of the River Po.

If you're going to argue that Napoli winning the league is bad for Italy at least set out a rationale. Don't just say "oh it's horrible". Some of the stuff written about Napoli (not just the team but the city and in fact the south in general) is so prejudiced, you know the whole city is not like the movies you see of Scampia.
Chill bro, I'm not even italian (even though of italian heritage and I do speak the language pretty well), so I don't really care about "south italy/north italy".
Yes, Napoli is a mediocre team.
Most of the people you've mentioned isn't, at least imho, worth of winning a scudetto.
But let's analyze the single players, shall we?
De Sanctis is a good keeper - I think he's better than Abbiati- but that's it.
Grava - Mediocre defender, but not a starter so that's ok
Aronica - He's good for a Serie B top team, nothing more
Paolo Cannavaro - Good stopper, but I can count tons of better defenders in Italy, including Palermo's Bovo or even Santacroce.
Santacroce - Nice prospect some time ago, I liked the player but he seems he can't get over his frequent injuries.
Campagnaro - I like the guy, and I may agree with you on his level. He's like the paesant version of Lucio.
Pazienza - Nothing special, really.
Gargano - Nice player, but he's too incostant and all the times I've seen Napoli playing against some big teams he disappeared
Yebda - He's probably the worst player in Serie A. No joking.
Maggio - A fury when he wants, but not so often
Dossena - Not worth of the shirt he's wearing
Zuniga - He's fast, agile and all the jazz - But football is not an athletic exposition, not yet at least.
Hamsik - Incostant, but talented nonetheless. He's probably the new Nedved
Lavezzi - World class second striker imho.
Cavani - He scores like a god, he's in an incredible form and I seriously think he's almost as good as Forlan, and he's much younger.

Analyzing the team (and offending your southern italian heritage I suppose, something I didn't intend to since my parents are from Salerno) what I find is that Napoli's team is not at the level of Milan and Inter and lacks preminent players in both defence and midfield, also can't play a different kind of game except fast counterattack, this also explains why Napoli tends to suffer against teams who defend or have a much better technique overall value.

Napoli winning is, apart from all the nice prejudice you so kindly vomited on me, a sign of the declining value of Serie A's overall prestige. Not because it's Napoli, but because such a mediocre team can hope to win.
And yes, I'm aware of Verona and Sampdoria winning not so long ago, but that were different times and Sampdoria, allow me to say it, was a superb team with world class players in almost every role.
I'd find it hard to define the likes of Pazienza or Yebda good players at all, let alone world class worht.

I don't think it's fair to only see teams win because of the strength of their roster. Hoffenheim were close to winning the Bundesliga 2 years ago because of the way they were playing as a team. Napoli are working right now, so why can't they be rewarded with the scudetto for the way they're playing?

I don't think it's fair to only see teams win because of the strength of their roster. Hoffenheim were close to winning the Bundesliga 2 years ago because of the way they were playing as a team. Napoli are working right now, so why can't they be rewarded with the scudetto for the way they're playing?

Of course they're playing fairly well, no doubt about it.

But if we must talk about the beauty of the game I guess Udinese would be a team worth of the title. They easily play the beast football in Italy, if not the whole Europe. Them or Palermo.

Last edited:

But we're not talking about the 'beauty' of football bro. Enough has been said about how attractive the football Delio Rossi's pink team plays for example but at end of the day that doesn't matter. Not unless you're Zdenek Zeman. :LOL:
Palermo and Udinese can play beautiful football all the want, as long as they falter and sometimes don't get the results, they don't deserve a championship and nobody gives out cups for that. This isn't a beauty pageant! It's all about results and effectiveness, be it beautiful and attractive or ugly and flat football.

This is an interesting debate though and I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with BOTH parties on certain points.

On one hand, just as Milanista said right now, a TEAM is not really necessarily all about the components and members of the squad that make it anyway as there's the team spirit, harmony, passion, heritage, the MANAGER, backroom staff, president, the organization as a whole.

On the other hand, I agree with Hey there that in terms of squad, Napoli has some real quality and some real deficiencies! Yebda being worst player in Serie A is obviously exaggerated and unfair as the guy is limited technically but full of energy and good size (strength, height, power) and is a 'useful' player to have as backup.

Aronica being good for a Top Serie B team I agree with. I personally can't see a team with him or Grava as starters becoming champions. They're average players really. Maybe even Serie B players. Not that Grava is usually a starter but he does play a role and for me he's just not good enough. Mediocre player.

However, Napoli winning the league being bad for Italian football? Nail in coffin? I disagree. Despite the valid points brought up, I think it'll open up a new chapter 'officially' and show just how competitive (Teams close to each other rather than large gaps in quality) Serie A is again and how there are many 'contenders' which can only make a league more interesting! Plus it'd be GREAT for NApoli and its huge fan-base to restore that pride and become champions of Italy and play CL football! I personally HOPE this happens and think it's the BEST thing that can happen for Italian football!

Last edited:

yup, i completely agree with Sina. napoli has some excellent players, some average players, and some poor players... but like we said a few days ago (and we were precisely speaking about napoli) a team is a collective entity that very often transcends its individualities. u can see a team full of excellent players playing some awful football aswell as a team formed by average players performing above the quality of the players themselves.

at the end of the day it's not the quality of the players that win matches (although that's a huge factor), it's the quality of the football. and by quality of the football i don't mean the beauty of the schemes or the quality of the plays.... i mean the effectiveness of the football.
palermo might be playing some breathetaking football... but it's an undeniable fact that we have less points than napoli. napoli's football may not be as entertaining as palermo's football (although i wouldn't say napoli's football isn't nice to watch), but they "got the job done" more often than us (and more often than any other team except milan).
like sina said, football isn't a beauty contest. mancini's inter was quite terrible to watch, but still it was the best team in italy (although not the prettiest team to watch).

having said that i really don't think napoli will win the scudetto. napoli is like roma, the pressure on the players is absolutely unbearable. actually i'm amazed they're still in the race... but i believe it won't last for long. the scudetto race will be between milan and inter imo, with lazio and napoli playing the outsider role.

as for milan, gerd, obviously the team u watched against tottenham isn't the team wich is leading serie a. that was indeed thr worst performance i've seen from milan this season.... and although the injury might be a valid reason to explain their performance, i think the mental approach was the main factor. they wasted an entire half of football before starting to play football. they looked so tense in the first half... it was like watching a neo-promoted team going up against a top team. in the second half we saw glimpses of the real milan.... but even that wasn't exactly the milan we ge to see this season in serie a. a milan without pirlo (although he's been injured for a while now), without boateng and without cassano is by all means a different team.

and anyway i wouldn't be so harsh on milan..... they didn't enter the pitch with the right mental coolness and lost it (gattuso and flamini LITTERALLY lost it! :P ), but it's not like they lost to a newly-promoted team. tottenham is a fantastic team, with lots of quality (there's no telling what spurs could achieve with a proper coach), they're 4th in premier league.
would u be shocked to see man utd loosing to spurs in a single game? i don't.... it might well happen. milan also draw with the 4th team in serie a (lazio).... and that isn't shocking either. everything can happen in a single match, and even more so in champions league matchups as tension, and mental approach play an even bigger role in theese elminination round clashes.

It would be great if Napoli would win the Scudetto. I would like to see a Southern Italian team win a Scudetto.

About Spurs: they are my favourite team in England. The team i know best outside Belgium (maybe apart from Lille). They are doing great and have fantastic MF players. At the back they are vulnerable however and IMO they lack a good forward.

Spurs can win against Man Utd, but it would be a one off...If Spurs play Man Utd, Man Utd would win 8 times out of ten.

Spurs can win against Man Utd, but it would be a one off...If Spurs play Man Utd, Man Utd would win 8 times out of ten.

if they would play milan 10 times in a row, they would also lose to milan most ot those 10 matches. but then again that's the beauty of football... its unpredictability. every week we witness dozens of upsets all around europe.

what i'm saying is there's no shame in losing a single match to tottenham.... and one single bad performance shouldn't change our opinion about what milan has done so far this season.

... especially if u consider milan's injuries and gomes' brilliant performance. :))

ernestito, is that your voice in that vid? coz if that's u singing, your romanesco is just BRILLIANT!! :SHOCK: it's amazing u can sing in such a perfect roman dialect without having ever been in roma before last week :))

Last edited:

haha, yes its my voice. well, I tried my best. I really set value on pronounciation when speaking a language that is foreign to me. I take that as a compliment, thanks a lot. :D

Judged on what i saw from Milan in the CL (and i think i saw all their CL matches) i think Spurs would win 8 matches out of 10 against Milan, Ben.

In a CL context this Milan is not a top team. (now that i've written that we know that Milan will suddenly play better and win the CL).
I understand that they have injuries and that Cassano could not play, but so did Spurs. Bale wasn't playing (he is their best player), Modric was on the bench due to his appendix and VDV also came back from injury and wasn't 100%. Those are Spurs' best players. Besides that Huddlestone is out injured too...
And believe me, as much as i like Spurs and enjoy them, they are far from the finished product. To be a big team they need another manager, a better defense and one good FW.

Ben, I wish I was as optimistic as you about Milan, but I think we're lucky to be top. We do well against smaller teams this year because we overwhelm them with our attacking players. We still seem disorganized and lack a core style of play. We don't have a mental spine to push us through games. The last time we had one, Ancelotti was in charge, so our team was so hard to break down.

Spurs will qualify, I'm 100% certain. Milan's gameplan sucks because we don't have a trequartista style player like Kaka, and Seedorf is past it. Our attackers are so isolated from the rest of the team, so it always seems like we are doing nothing, forcing our midfielders to try long balls.

We seriously need a trequartista, a leftback, and a leader in our midfield. Gattuso is still decent, but we need someone fresh who will change the way we play.

Allegri is a great coach, but I still see a dejavu with Leonardo, who imo is a very poor coach who's good at motivating players. His Inter look's very weak and lack's compactness like Mancini and Mou's teams.

Judged on what i saw from Milan in the CL (and i think i saw all their CL matches) i think Spurs would win 8 matches out of 10 against Milan, Ben.
that's because the only matches that come to your mind are the CL matches milan didn't play well (wich were only 2: the 1st game vs real madrid and the ajax game), wich is normal as people tend to remember the game top teams don't play well (because that something that hits u and surprise u).
u probably don't remember how milan played against real madrid in milano... or the game vs auxerre... but that is the milan we got to see most of the time this season.

u see gerd, u asked how can such a poor team be leading serie a. well i just replied u: milan isn't that poor team u saw against spurs. the team u saw against spurs would also lose against wigan or bari.... easily.

saying that milan is not a top team in CL context is something i don't agree with.... first of, what defines CL quality? 32 teams partecipate to the group stage. if we have to define CL quality by considering only the 4\5 best teams in CL (say barca, real, chelsea, arsenal, inter, man utd), then yes, milan is still behind theese teams.... but what about the remaining 27 teams? don't they count? are they just a side dish or a sparring partner?.... because honestly milan has nothing to envy to any other CL team out there.... and they actually proved it this very season... it's just that u tend to remember the 1st game versus madrid better than the second... infact i believe u completely forgot about the second match against real madrid (or about the game vs auxerre).... otherwise u wouldn't be saying that about milan.

let's be brutally honest, as much as tottenham deserved to win, the spurs game was decided by episodes. gomes is a fine goalkeeper, but that was not a standard performance by gomes.... and 8 times out of 10 yepes would never commit such an amateur mistake as that sliding tackle on lennon.... without that tackle spurs wouldn't have scored.
if we consider this we can all agree that, despite deserving to win, spurs could have easily lost that game.... even against that shitty milan.......
.... and now everyone would be vomiting shit over spurs.... "they're not CL quality".... "they can't make it on the big stage against the big guns"..... and other bullshits like theese.

that's why i mantain that is absolutely deceptive to judge teams on single performances.
just think of last season. the 2 champions league finalists offer a great example of what i'm talking about. bayern didn't have a great group stage... they barely made it (despite playing in a group with a very poor juve and maccabi haifa). they lost to bordeaux aswell. then after the group stage, they managed to reach quarter finals, after a 4-4 on aggregate agsainst fiorentina..... that was very very unfair to fiorentina (as i'm sure u will remember). i remember there were plenty of people (in this forum aswell) remarking what a crappy team bayern was, and how they didn't deserve kick fiorentina out of the competition.... but then they beat man utd in the quarters final, destroy lyon in the semis, and all of a sudden people change their mind and bayern becomes one hell of a team! LOL!
and the same happened to inter.... they barely made it to the eight finals... they didn't manage to beat dinamo kiev and rubin..... then, in the eight finals, they kick the crap out of a very good chelsea team and suddenly everyone changes his mind and refers to inter as champions league contenders. :LOL:

this is what happens when we base our opinion on single matches.
that bayern wich didn't deserve to beat fiorentina was not last season's standard bayern... it was not the same bayern that easily won the league last season. and the inter team we saw against dinamo kiev, wasn't the standard inter, that terrific team that was having a great season in serie a.... and that, later on, trashed chelsea in both legs. judging milan on the spurs performance alone would be just as wrong imo.

2 last notes: as much as i like bale (and as much as i can't stand cassano), missing bale is NOT like missing cassano. and missing modric is absolutely not even comparable to missing pirlo!
second note: yeah spurs are not a complete team yet... but that means nothing. u see man city is by all means a complete team, but tottenham is a better team. cagliari is a complete team, while palermo isn't, yet palermo is slightly better than cagliari.
being the finished product, as u call it, doesn't mean being better than an unfinished product.
milan is one of the most incomplete teams in serie a... this is allegri's first season, it's the beginning of a completely new project, there are many positions to fill... yet this unfinished product has done better than many "complete teams" in serie a.
ernestito said:
haha, yes its my voice. well, I tried my best. I really set value on pronounciation when speaking a language that is foreign to me. I take that as a compliment, thanks a lot.
that most cerrtainly IS a compliment mate :))

Ben, I wish I was as optimistic as you about Milan...

i'm not optimistic... i'd have no reason to be as milan is not my team.... and i agree with u on many of your points (like i said, this team is still very incomplete)...milan still is "a team in becoming"... but when u think of what milan was last season... what allegri achieved in 6 months is just crazy.

bottom line my point is, yeah, after this 1st leg, milan will probably go out of the champions league..... but judging a team on one match only is just unappropriate.
u have certainly watched more milan matches than me... how would u rate this last performance? how does it compare to the standard milan performance of this season? would u say that was a tipycal performance by milan? would u say this is how milan has been played so far this season?

as for me this is the second worst performance i've see from milan this season (after the lecce game)... yeah milan still needs lots of tweaking, and like u said attack and midfield are pretty much disjointed (but that's happened ever since boateng was injured... and that's also the reason why allegri wanted to sign lazzari), but there's no way you're lucky to be on top of the league. by definition, there's no such thing as luck in a league... u can be lucky in a cup competition like champions league, but not in a 38 matches league wich lasts for 8 months. in such a competition, luck just ceases to be a factor. u deserve to be where u are. u're just concerned coz milan hasn't been doing great in the last month imo.

Last edited:

I wouldn't go too hard on Milan gerd. The players missing are nothing compared to what Spurs had. Pirlo,Boateng,Ambrosini,Zambrotta,and Cassano are missing. Those are 5 certain starting players in our league campaign. Add to that Abate,Nesta, and Seedorf just came back from injury and Silva was playing his 2nd match in this new position and guess what? Apart from 2 long shots by VDV and that counter attack goal, Amelia wasn't bothered at all. And did you see who was taking our corners? Gattuso. This has never happened in the history of Milan.

Sure Spurs won the midfield battle but look at what Milan fielded. 3 defensive players that can't hold the ball and were deprived of the playmaker so they couldn't pass to the attack. They mostly gave the ball to Yepes and he played a long ball in and Milan still could have taken the lead by 2 chances by Yepes and a long shot by Flamini. Basing your opinion on that single match is just wrong.

Anyway, I don't think we will go through but according to some news, we seem to have lined up a couple of needed players in the summer and I am really liking Abate. With a bit more experience he can be great. I just hope Pirlo doesn't leave.

And oh Roma are in a real bad position. They conceded 3 at home and the players are not helping Ranieri. Whenever one of Vucinic,Borriello,Totti, and Menez is on the bench or even substituted, he gets mad. What a bunch of morons.

Last edited:

I'm not convinced.
First of all to me it is far from uncertain that Spurs will qualify. Call me stupid but the two worst possible outcomes of the first leg for Spurs to me were 0-0 or 0-1. A 1-0 loss would have been a more clear result, maybe even better. With a 1-0 defeat Spurs were doomed to attack at White Heart Lane. Spurs are rather good at attacking without restraint. With the result they have now have now, they will attack with the hand break on...and they risk loosing because their defense is weak.

I agree that the CL is not only about the 4 or 5 clubs that can win it. This season the team i enjoyed most are Kopenhagen. I think they were absolutely sensational in both matches against Barcelona and i even hope they can eliminate Chelsea...but i'm pretty sure they will not win the CL. In fact, those are the teams i prefer in the CL. I have fond memories about the fantastic Deportivo La Coruna team and their second leg against Milan...perhaps the best display i've ever seen in the CL. I also have good memories about the PSV that was eliminated by Milan in the semi-finals (with Gomes in goal and both Koreans in the team: Lee and Park).

But Milan is a team you always expect to be among the favourites to win the CL..And Ben, apart from the Sacchi Milan, i've never liked Milan's football...they were a stront team but not a team that plays the football i like. But now they seem to miss the killer instinct they once had. Milan used to be the team that won matches in injury time of the first half or the match...Milan used to be a team who made an art out of defending. A player like Yepes would never be in the first team (or on the bench) in a strong Milan team...The fact that they now miss Ambrosini says it all to me.

But who am i?

A player like Yepes would never be in the first team (or on the bench) in a strong Milan team...

Yepes is underrated, he's a very decent center back. You should see how good he was when playing at Chievo and he's doing well now at Milan.

He's better than Luigi Sala, who was in the first team of that scudetto winning Milan in 98/99

or Mexes in Roma who is IMO overrated.

Gerd, what you're talking about is Ancelotti's Milan. There's a reason Chelsea paid top dollar for his services, and it's also why I was sad to see him go.

I also agree that Yepes is underrated. He made that big mistake, but other than that, he's been a solid CB. Our biggest mistake is moving Thiago Silva away from CB. That guy adds a whole new dimension to our back line.

Ancelotti's last 2 seasons with Milan has become more and more predictable even with Kaka' was still playing with them. Every team seem to know how to nullify Milan. While they were continue dominating possession, they were hardly create a scoring chance.

But that time Milan has so many aging players and Ancelotti has spent 6 seasons with Milan.

Watching Chelsea nowadays remind me of that Ancelotti's Milan. Chelsea seems to dominate possession esp. against smaller team, but they barely create a clear cut chance to score. And that's just in one and a half season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom