Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

Maybe Pirlo will be awful next season :p

You wish.:SMUG::P

Fantastic result from Juve. :)
But man, how stupid is Cerci? If I were Delio Rosii, I'd fine him immediately.

I loved the 3rd goal, great combination play.

Oh yeah, according to Berlusconi, Milan let Pirlo go because the medical team didn't see more than one year in him.

it was most definitely allegri's decision... and it was a tactical decision, wich had nothing to do with pirlo's age (despite what berlusconi says). pirlo is 32 years old and he's a regista, wich means he still has about 3 more years of football (at this level) ahead of him. registi usually play till they're 36\37 and at 34 years old they usually still perform almost on the same standards they used to play when they were on their peak (just think of corini and liverani, to mention a couple of examples).

in his last 2-3 seasons with milan, everyone forgot about pirlo. he wasn't delivering as he used to, so most people thought he was washed up. i've talked about pirlo with lots of people over the years (on this forum and with my friends) and almost nobody shared my opinion on him (infact i believe u were the only one who had my same opinion about pirlo, zeem ;) ).
i used to say always the same things... that milan had no off the ball movement and that was the only reason of pirlo's uninspired performances. i also used to remark that pirlo was by all means "not old at all" (at least for the position he plays in), as he's just 6 months older than xavi (who's been on insanely high standards over the last seasons). i always got the very same answer "yeah but look at xavi! he's amazing, while pirlo is just not the same player he used to be".
at this point i used to reply "yeah, but that's because milan is not the same team it used to be.... have xavi and pirlo swap clubs for a few months and u'll see pirlo performing like he used to in his prime (and xavi will most likely become the shadow of his former-barça-self)". but i guess my arguments were just not convincing enough.

anyway this season proved me right, as pirlo is now performing on an even higher standard than xavi. now, if i was able to see that in pirlo, then there's no way allegri didn't. i'm absolutely sure allegri was perfectly aware of what pirlo could still do.... allegri is just too good to have missed something that a layman like myself realised.

the thing is allegri had different plans for milan. people say he likes to work with a muscular midfield, but i'm not entirely sure that's the case. sure this milan midfield is pretty muscular, but his cagliari midfield was more about talent than about strenght (besides conti, who is a regista, used to be the cornerstone of cagliari's midfield under allegri, didn't he?!).
i'm more inclined to believe that the defenestration of pirlo from milan was the simple conclusion allegri drew from milan's recent history. he probably realised that a player like pirlo was just not fitting for this milan. and since u can't have a player like pirlo demoted to a backup (he's not just a world class player, he's along with xavi THE best player in the world in his role... besides his wage clearely makes it impossible to have him as a backup), allegri realised he had no other choice than letting him go.

the real question now is... was it a mistake by allegri to let him go?
the other question (is pirlo still a God?) already got his proper answer from pirlo himself this season. but the simple fact that right now pirlo is playing on the very same standard of 2006 doesn't necessarily mean allegri made a mistake.
and since so far i've been gloating about the whole "i was right about pirlo all theese years", i think it's only fair if i admit i was one of those who thought allegri was doing a huge mistake by getting rid of pirlo.
but fact proved me wrong, as milan is doing great without pirlo. allegri found a balance milan missed since ancelotti's glorious days and it's pretty obvious that this current midfield configuration plays a big role in this new balance.

one might still argue "yeah but still, by letting juve snatch pirlo for free, allegri strenghtened a rival"... wich is undenyably true.... but then again, that was an inevitable consequence, as there are only a handful of clubs which can afford a player like pirlo and they're all top clubs (and therefore, milan's rivals).

so i guess it's a win-win situation. milan is finally back on track and pirlo is showing the world his magic back again. :))

edit: i just realised there's gonna be a huge clash between milan and juve tomorrow in the coppa italia semifinal!!! now isn't that a nice unexpected surprise!! :BOP:

Last edited:

Milan has definitely matured over the last year, but we still miss something. I think we need a player that makes the difference on a consistent basis and is injury free. Many will say Ibra, but he's too inconsistent for my liking. I'm talking about a Rui Costa, Kaka or to some extent, Seedorf. We seem to lack one these days and sometimes our midfield really shows its limitations in changing a match when we're out of ideas.

Btw - Rui Costa and Jorgensen are linked to replace Corvino at Fiorentina! How awesome would it be for the Maestro to be back in Italy!? All we need is Batigol to join him as a scout or something, and maybe Repka and Toldo as coaches :D

Last edited:

Sure, he's been great up front most of the time, but it doesn't cancel the fact that our midfield looks a little stale with or without him. He's a striker so if he gets isolated or marked heavily, no one else seems to have any ideas.

The midfield is missing something. Boateng and Aquilani have been out for a while and van Bommel has not able to play two games a week.

i used to say always the same things... that milan had no off the ball movement and that was the only reason of pirlo's uninspired performances.

Totally agree. Pirlo gets the ball, looks forward but nobody is moving. He dances around the opposition for a bit, looks forward again and it's exactly the same thing so he passes the ball back to Nesta. I've seen it so many times it's stuck in my head. The whole team was uninspired in that period.

Allegri tried to play him where Aquilani is supposed to play now next to van Bommel when Pirlo came back from injury but it was weird. You could tell Pirlo was uncomfortable in that position so yeah, no doubt, it was better for Pirlo as a player to leave.

Last edited:

Well, I'm all but done with serie a for this season. Just been terribly disappointing both as an Inter and a serie a fan. Personally this is the weakest Milan and Juve team I have seen in years and look at how far ahead they are in table. Very disappointing (by serie a standards).

Btw - Rui Costa and Jorgensen are linked to replace Corvino at Fiorentina! How awesome would it be for the Maestro to be back in Italy!? All we need is Batigol to join him as a scout or something, and maybe Repka and Toldo as coaches :D
Oh man, bringing back memories of the late 90s.... good times. Feel very sorry for viola fans by the way.

on a completely unrelated topic, i'll be having dinner with zamparini this week end! it's a work related thing, so we won't be talking about football probably.... however if we would end up chatting about palermo for a bit, i'll do my best to behave and control myself :P
oh shit. Zamp is like Moratti on crack so good luck with that.... if I were to meet Moratti face to face, oh my...

Yo ben bit early but your thoughts (and anyone elses) on the italy squad for the euros? one of your posts on Motta playing as a trequartista had me laughing so hard :LOL: Seriously tho, this italian team is looks pretty awful. Maybe Prandelli can have them playing amazing collectively, but individually its just not up to the usual standard. I mean Buffon still on goal, Barzagli as first choice CB, no obvious out-and-out striker:OOOH:

Barzagli has been one of the best, if not the best player for Juve this season. Buffon is still one of the worlds best goalkeepers too.

Apart from the Netherlands, my second team for Euro 2012 will be Italy, so I hope one of these teams win. :) Preferably the Netherlands of course, but if they get eliminated, and Italy is still in I will cheer for them. :)

Yeah I don't see the problem with Buffon and Barzagli starting. That's a positive not a negative.

Sure, he's been great up front most of the time, but it doesn't cancel the fact that our midfield looks a little stale with or without him. He's a striker so if he gets isolated or marked heavily, no one else seems to have any ideas....
...We seem to lack one these days and sometimes our midfield really shows its limitations in changing a match when we're out of ideas.

... mmmmh :THINK: i got the feeling i already read a very similar comment... infact i believe "someone" on this very thread made that remark about a year ago, when pirlo was about to leave.... :WHISTLE:
...always trust the zio :COOL:
anyway stef u can't have it all. a more creative midfielder would be a great addition (what's going on with aquilani btw? haven't seen him in ages), but then u would lose the dynamism and the off the ball movement provided by the likes of nocerino and boateng. :))
rfu said:
Well, I'm all but done with serie a for this season. Just been terribly disappointing both as an Inter and a serie a fan. Personally this is the weakest Milan and Juve team I have seen in years and look at how far ahead they are in table. Very disappointing (by serie a standards).
hey man, been a while! :)) to be honest i don't think milan and juve are weak. infact i believe they're both great teams.... and certainly they've both improved a lot. nocerino and el sharawi have been 2 great additions for milan and this currenty juve team is fantastic imo. their starting 11 is so much better than in recent years and they actually play some pretty nice football!
i agree with u about serie a being weaker than in recent years, but i honestly don't think that's the reason why milan and juve are performing so well. :))
rfu said:
Yo ben bit early but your thoughts (and anyone elses) on the italy squad for the euros? one of your posts on Motta playing as a trequartista had me laughing so hard Seriously tho, this italian team is looks pretty awful. Maybe Prandelli can have them playing amazing collectively, but individually its just not up to the usual standard.
i guess that depends on your definition of "usual standard". i actually like this team. i'm not quite sure about the formation prandelli is using, but i certainly like the personnel (apart from motta of course). sure it's a very young and unexperienced team, but it certainly doesn't lack talent.
spain and germany are on a different level right now, but apart from those 2, i don't see any other national team which is clearely superior than the italian one.

i don't have any particular expectations for the upcoming euro competition anyway. i believe we should just see this cup as a chance to build a good chemistry and gain some experience. it's just a stage in a growth process....... and if in this process we could get to see some good football, so much the better. :))
u gotta admit the brand of football prandelli has imported to this italy team is a breathe of fresh air :))

Last edited:

Lovely goal from The Legend himself. :D

What an intense game for a Coppa Italia match!! Extra time it is.

ESPN commentator "It was so good Allegri did a chest pump with Gattuso" haha!

beautiful game , really interesting to watch,
im happy Juve its on final and also Alex GRANDE Del Piero have score :)

Oh my... I'm glad nobody recorded the stuff I did after the unbelievable Vučinič goal. :P

Barzagli has been one of the best, if not the best player for Juve this season. Buffon is still one of the worlds best goalkeepers too.
Barzagli being the best Juve defender is not saying too much unfortunately. Just that he's better than Bonnucci :P True Buffon is still the worlds best but there's no one even close to challenging him for the no.1 spot. Remember when italy had to chose from toldo, buffon and peruzzi? 3 world class keepers!! Now its just Siguru, Ameila, Vivano and Marchetti.

hey man, been a while! :)) to be honest i don't think milan and juve are weak. infact i believe they're both great teams....
Nah, can't compare with the Juve and Milan of the mid 00s.

and certainly they've both improved a lot. nocerino and el sharawi have been 2 great additions for milan
additions? Anyway Nocerino has turned out great, but still that midifeld is looking stale. watching them get overrun in midfield against arsenal illustrates that quite clearly.

and this currenty juve team is fantastic imo. their starting 11 is so much better than in recent years and they actually play some pretty nice football!
hate to admit but yes. Still we'll give them a good whopping this derby. quote me on that :COOL:

What disturbs me though is that with the current state serie a is in and the direction we're seemingly going, I don't see them reclaiming back the 4th UCL spot.

spain and germany are on a different level right now, but apart from those 2, i don't see any other national team which is clearely superior than the italian one.
do you see italy getting out of their group though?

i believe we should just see this cup as a chance to build a good chemistry and gain some experience. it's just a stage in a growth process.......
so what were euro 08 and WC 2010 for? with Barzagli and Buffon, Pirlo, De Rossi, etc the first names on the team sheet I don't see how this is an opportunity for experience. most likely we will see Pazzini, Ranocchia and maybe sirigu in cameo roles but I sincerely doubt. hope nocerino gets a good run out though. Marchisio seems to be a club only player like Conte and Tachinardi whish is shame. Other than those two, no one else is good enough really. which is surprising seeing as there's not much competition for places among the top 7 sides in the league. Now would be the time to shine for Cigarini, bonucci, ranocchia, ameila, pazzini, matri, quaglirella, dossena, but no one is stepping up.

Which reminds me, how's Donati doing. Always liked that guy.

rfu said:
Barzagli being the best Juve defender is not saying too much unfortunately. Just that he's better than Bonnucci True Buffon is still the worlds best but there's no one even close to challenging him for the no.1 spot. Remember when italy had to chose from toldo, buffon and peruzzi? 3 world class keepers!! Now its just Siguru, Ameila, Vivano and Marchetti.
you're too pessimistic mate. barzagli is an awesome cb and i believe bonucci will develop into a fantastic cb too. as for the GK position, yeah marchetti and sirigu are certainly not on par with peruzzi and toldo (at least not yet, who knows how they will develop), but still they're 2 fantastic keepers, who would be starters in most national teams out there. marchetti impressed me a lot this season. i didn't realise just how good he is till this season... as for sirigu, i haven't followed psg this season, but a friend of mine from paris tells me he's doing great.

we already had this conversation before buddy. u just gotta forget about the past, because what italy had in the last 30 years was something unique, almost unrepeatable... it's certainly not something u can use as a "benchmark" to judge the current situation.
think of this: has there ever been in history a football team (club or national) with 3 options like buffon, toldo and peruzzi (all in their prime) for the gk position? it's never happened before....and it's probably never gonna happen again (and not just to italy's national team.... to any other team on the planet).

that's why i say we should forget about the past. if u think about an attack with baggio, totti, vieri, mancini, del piero, montella, inzaghi... all in their prime.... then obviously italy's current attack will look ridiculous.... but again, that would not be a fair comparison for any team.... can u mention a national team today who could display so much technique, depth and variety in attack? even spain, argentina and germany could only dream such an abundance of world class offensive players.

but as soon as u forget about the past, the presents gains a completely different perspective. i look at our gk situation and i think "ok it's not like having peruzzi and toldo as backups.... but seriously, how many teams can count on a starting gk as good as buffon? and how many teams have a backup as good as marchetti? and how many have 3rd pick as good as sirigu?"

and the same goes for our attack.... it's not a frightening set of offensive players, but then again, most of em are still young players, and they're already biblically good for their age: balotelli, pazzini, rossi, cassano, matri. i quite like this ensemble.
and as for our midfield, that's probably our strongest department.
rfu said:
so what were euro 08 and WC 2010 for? with Barzagli and Buffon, Pirlo, De Rossi, etc the first names on the team sheet I don't see how this is an opportunity for experience.
well those players are definitely untouchable. afterall when u have a world class player performing at a world class level, why would u keep him out? but those are only 4 players. our offensive department as been completely revolutionized as every offensive player is a "newcomer"... even those who aren't exactly youngsters anymore (like pazzo and cassano) are gonna face their first real experience with the national team (i don't count euro 2004 as experience for cassano). besides, think of this: cassano is 29, pazzini is 27... and they're gonna be the oldest offensive players italy will bring to the euros (unless prandelli will call di natale).
then u have marchisio.... who will definitely get his fair share of playtime and experience (and so will nocerino, i believe)...
and then u have maggio, abate, balzaretti and criscito on the sidelines who will probably get their first real taste of international football. i'd say that's enough "new stuff"

u're right, we should have used the WC2010 (and the confederations cup) to build our new team, but we wasted 2 years with lippi and we didn't. there's nothing we can do about it now, except working to build what we should have started building 4 years ago.
rfu said:
do you see italy getting out of their group though?
not necessarily. we might well go out at thi first stage indeed (as our group is pretty tough).... but then again that could be said about every other national team, as the euros are a very tough competition (much tougher than the WC itself, as the average quality is much higher and there's absolutely no margin for errors).
but like i said, i don't have any particular expectation. i only want prandelli to give this new team its first taste of an official international competition..... and i would love if we could display some of the football we played in the last year. that's it.
rfu said:
Nah, can't compare with the Juve and Milan of the mid 00s.
oh definitely. i thought u were talking about recent years. but yeah ancelotti's milan and capello's juve were on a different level. ... however:
- ancelotti's milan was something unique, like this current barçelona team.... u'll hardly see another team playing with 4 fantasisti at midfield.. all world class players and all in their prime (kakà, rui costa, seedorf and pirlo)... and u'll hardly see another defensive line like that one. i mean, think of the best defensive line in european football today.... now try to compare it with this: maldini-nesta-stam-cafu. u see what i mean?
- concerning juve instead, capello's juve was an already complete team, filled with world class players fully developed and matured..... while this current juve team is much younger and less experienced, so it would be unfair to compare those 2 teams right now. let's wait 3 years and try the comparison again.
rfu said:
What disturbs me though is that with the current state serie a is in and the direction we're seemingly going, I don't see them reclaiming back the 4th UCL spot.
ooh yeah, that's for sure... infact, nevermind getting the 4th spot back, i think we should start worrying about losing the 3rd spot aswell.

nice to have u back bro... i missed our conversations :))

Last edited:

btw buddy, u mentioned peruzzi and toldo, but u forgot about marcheggiani and pagliuca..... it's just ridiculous the ammount of world class players we had in the same generation...

...speaking of "old times" a friend just sent me this video. it'a an old comic football show they used to air in italy in the '90s..... boy do i miss that show!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGhFA-IPY8s&feature=related

play it with the sound on. u're not gonna understand the comments (wich are absolutely hilarious) but the music and the sound effect are still worth it :))

Last edited:

About GK's:

Belgium: Pfaff, Preudhomme, Munaron, Bodart, Vandewalle

All five of them at least as good as Toldo and certainly better than Peruzzi.
Preudhomme was better than Buffon (i realize not a single Italian will agree with me, but being a former GK myself...i know damn well he was one of the all-time greats together with Schmeichel, Dassaev and Southall. Those 4 are the best i ever saw. Buffon is not as good, although splendid. IMO Van Der Sar was also better than Buffon - and i realize that VDS had to make way for Buffon at Juve).

Just my two cents and i already know that nobody in this thread will agree with me...

i can't talk on behalf of every other italian, but i don't agree.
peruzzi was INSANELY better than toldo, gerd.... and van der saar imo was as good as toldo (and therefore nowhere near peruzzi and buffon).

i would rate Schmeichel and preudhomme on par with peruzzi (hence almost as good as buffon).

but obviously rating players is always a subjective and open to debate matter, so i respect your opinion :))

Peruzzi was mental and was great even at 38. Toldo fizzed down a bit after moving to Inter, but man, he had some crazy aerial abilities. Toldo in 00' was my hero after the Euros, I think he was the most famous man in Italy for that year.

Sadly, after a positive group stage for Serie A in the CL, I fear for our 3rd spot. Only now are teams thinking about getting their own stadiums after the success of Juve, and only now are teams starting to play with confidence, like Napoli. But overall, there still seems to be a lack of confidence when it comes to playing in Europe.

Last edited:

Buffon (God basically in his peak, not anymore sadly :( ) > Peruzzi > Toldo = Van der Saar > Pagliuca > Marchegianni

That's the way I saw it.

holy crap, what a goal from cavani! gutsless idiots... if only they had shown a little more personality against chelsea!! :BRICK::BRICK:

what a fantastic competition coppa italia has become theese years!

have u guys seen this image?
NEWS_1332284801_del_piero_coppa_italia.jpg

del piero in a milan shirt... how weird is that! :P

edit: what a game!!!

Last edited:

Napoli v Juve for the Coppa Italia final will be a SWEET match!

This weekend is quite decisive as well, Juve v Inter and Roma v Milan (or vise-versa)

FORZA JUVE

Yah I can't wait for that Cup final.

Nice old rivalry renewed too!

Wonder when the last time these two faced in a final was.

barzagli is an awesome cb and i believe bonucci will develop into a fantastic cb too.
you said the same thing about Ranocchia and now look at him. Truth is in a day and age when there's zero competition for places and youngsters have a chance for first team football, both (and many others mind) are failing. I have more faith in Bonucci but Ranocchia... well he has his moments, particularly on national duty, good head on his shoulders with great heart and drive (potential inter captain but far too inconsistent :RANT: Perfect example vs Napoli, was perfect up till the point where he gets assraped by Cavani sans vaseline (not even sure he can sit straight after that)... and then in the next game vs Palermo he was rubbish again (needs to be flogged after that). Very frustrating.

True, what 23 yr old doesn't have inconsistent issues but when you shell out 20m for a player and then compare him to Nesta all the time *sigh* more often than not he is shaky and insecure, injuries aren't helping either (I suspect the state of the san siro is the main culprit).

as for Sirigu, i haven't followed psg this season
what, psg is like palermo 2, i keep hearing balzaretti is is going to join. Anyway he's doing good, can't catch the ball to save his live though but commanding and good reflexes. Best keeper in france after Lloris and Ruffier.

think of this: has there ever been in history a football team (club or national) with 3 options like buffon, toldo and peruzzi (all in their prime) for the gk position? it's never happened before....and it's probably never gonna happen again (and not just to italy's national team.... to any other team on the planet).
Spain (not counting de gea). Germany. France (imagine if they had Frey).

that's why i say we should forget about the past. if u think about an attack with baggio, totti, vieri, mancini, del piero, montella, inzaghi...
what's funny is that that attack didn't really live up to the hype. I mean Totti/Vieri partnership should've been the best ever, hands down but it just never happened. Anyway point I'm trying to make here is that there's not much competition for places.

but seriously, how many teams can count on a starting gk as good as buffon? and how many teams have a backup as good as marchetti? and how many have 3rd pick as good as sirigu?"
true. i know england certainly can't. but Buffon even at this stage in his career is not in danger of losing his place. He could conceded 20 goals in the next 8 games and still be automatic first choice. Anyway you say you rank him over Peruzzi? What about Pagiluca?

and they're already biblically good for their age: balotelli, pazzini, rossi, cassano, matri. i quite like this ensemble.
Will Rossi or Cassano make it on time? If not what are you left with?

By the way, you haven't answered me, how is donati doing? haven't really watched him this season (barely bothered with italian football this season). was a fan back in the day.

Last edited:

rfu said:
you said the same thing about Ranocchia and now look at him. ... well he has his moments, particularly on national duty, good head on his shoulders with great heart and drive (potential inter captain but far too inconsistent Perfect example vs Napoli, was perfect up till the point where he gets assraped by Cavani sans vaseline (not even sure he can sit straight after that)... and then in the next game vs Palermo he was rubbish again (needs to be flogged after that). Very frustrating.

True, what 23 yr old doesn't have inconsistent issues but when you shell out 20m for a player and then compare him to Nesta all the time
but that's exactly the mistake man. u don't compare a kid with 2 seasons in serie a under his belt to the greatst cb of the last 20 years. period. that would be like comparing borini to villa or el sharawi to di natale. u just don't do that.
of course ranocchia is a bit inconsistent. that's the difference between being a promising player and a great player. if he would perform at his best level on a consistant basis, then he would not be labeled as a "promising young player" but as one of the best cb in europe (and his pricetag would have been almost twice as much).
besides it's unappropriate to judge individual performances, when the squad is falling apart. even samuel, maicon, snejder and pazzini have been rubbish this season..
have faith in ranocchia. he has the talent, the personality and the mindset to become a great cb ;)
rfu said:
Anyway point I'm trying to make here is that there's not much competition for places.
true. but we have enough to put together a great starting 11 and 1 very good backup for each role, wich is exactly what u need in a 1 month cup-like competition.
Rfu said:
Will Rossi or Cassano make it on time? If not what are you left with?

By the way, you haven't answered me, how is donati doing? haven't really watched him this season (barely bothered with italian football this season). was a fan back in the day.
rossi is most likely gonna make it and apparently cassano too should get back.... at least that's what they say on tv.

as for donati, he's been decent enough. we needed a decent passer at midfield and he's certainly improved our midfield (although it didn't take much to improve our horrible midfield). anyway he's not the player he was supposed to become. i also was a big fan of him years ago, but he clearely didn't develop as expected.
PLF said:
Yah I can't wait for that Cup final.
Nice old rivalry renewed too!
Wonder when the last time these two faced in a final was.
u know, i think they never met in a final before... i might be wrong though. anyway it's gonna be a huge match! :))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom