Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2012/13 Season

I'm not surprise at all , in Italy this shits happen ALWAYS , there are always racist calls and stuff like this

i share your concerns on the matter but to say this is a common problem in italy (something that "always" happens in italian stadia) is a bit of a stretch.
just to make an example, i've never witnessed such episodes in palermo in my entire life. sure i've been far from sicily for many years and i haven't been at the renzo barbera stadium for the last 1 year and a half, but i reckon i've been to at least 50-60 matches at palermo stadium in my life... and like i said, i've never seen any sort of abusive display from the palermitani. that's just an example, of course; i mentioned palermo because i live here and the renzo barbera is the italian stadium i visited the most in my life, but i believe (or at least i hope) the same could be said about several other stadia.
anyway, i understand your point. this sort of episodes are occurring way too frequently in italian stadia, but i'm inclined to believe the reason for that is hidden in amineken's post....
amineken said:
Actually they were abusing any black player not just him, he was the only with the guts to throw the ball at them and walk way. I still can't believe these peoples, and the most shocking thing they seem to get away with this behavior, such a shame
exactly. that's the real issue. every country has its fair share of uncivilized, intolerant, ignorant savages, and italy is no different than any other country in this. but here in italy we ignore the problem, rather than addressing it; and as a result of that, football fans came to consider italian stadia as some sort of a no man's land, where u can unleash your most savage instincts without having to fear any sort of repression or response from the authorities (and that's where the difference between italy and other countries lies). it's quite sad really, especially for the moltitudes who love the game and go to the stadium only to share their passion for this sport and their club.
the refs have been given the authority to stop the game whenever they hear racist chants or insults.... but they never do it, out of respect for the game (i kinda understand that, but shouldn't we respect a man's dignity above the game?).... club owners turn a blind eye because they don't wanna lose popularity among their supporters, and so nothing happens. clubs owned stadia can't come soon enough.

anyway, to be fair with pro patria supporters, the vast majority of them took distance from those few savages... infact in that video u can actually hear the entire stadium applauding boateng as he steps out of the pitch. unfortunately it takes only a few dozens savages to tarnish the reputation of an entire stadium.

johnconstantine said:
Also i didnt quite unterstand what happened in 2006 (Calciopoli). Its all very unclear and shady. Juve were charged for unfair behaviour i believe (Cause Moggi and co were in contact with the referee-assignment. But later i think it came out that several other clubs also had contact with the referees). I could be wrong, cause i cannot see trough all this mess. For me as a fan its terrible. Maybe someone can explain all a abit.
Thanks meschugee (sorry for my bad (terrible ) english)
to summarize such a complicated situation as the calciopoli scandal would take way too long mate, but if u make a search in this very thread (perhaps using the word "calciopoli"), i'm sure u'll find all the info u might be looking for :))
aitken said:
'Roma have announced a partnership with Disney at the unveiling of plans to build a new stadium.'

The president, Pallotta, added: "Totti's dream of playing in the new stadium? I hope he scores the first goal there!"

totti's fairytale ending?
sounds nice... let's hope they hurry up though, as i believe totti only has a few years left ahead of him as a football player :P
speaking of totti, how awesome has he been this season!!! it looks like his old teacher zeman rejuvinated him!
------------------------------------------------------------

still on roma's topic, at this point in the season, i guess it's fair to say zemanlandia is officially back! roma has scored 3 goals or more in 7 matches (out of the 18 games played so far). that means that in almost every other game (around the 50% of the games played) roma scored at least 3 goals.... wich obviously makes roma the highest scoring offense in serie a. and they also have the 4th worse defense in the league...... classic zeman :LOL::LOL: he won't win u anything, but boy, is he going to entertain u!!! :D

Last edited:

i share your concerns on the matter but to say this is a common problem in italy (something that "always" happens in italian stadia) is a bit of a stretch.
just to make an example, i've never witnessed such episodes in palermo in my entire life. sure i've been far from sicily for many years and i haven't been at the renzo barbera stadium for the last 1 year and a half, but i reckon i've been to at least 50-60 matches at palermo stadium in my life... and like i said, i've never seen any sort of abusive display from the palermitani. that's just an example, of course; i mentioned palermo because i live here and the renzo barbera is the italian stadium i visited the most in my life, but i believe (or at least i hope) the same could be said about several other stadia.
anyway, i understand your point. this sort of episodes are occurring way too frequently in italian stadia, but i'm inclined to believe the reason for that is hidden in amineken's post....

well I dont mean to every team , when I was "always" it was like we see this happening , I believe it dosnt happen at Palermo stadium , but lets say Lazio ? its strange there goes 1 match without theyr fans doing something like this , chants or banners or whatever !

EDIT: yeah thats my point too , if there is happening and happening lets say with Lazio fans than why no one do something for make it stop ? maybe a 5 years ban for few people there can make others stop .... I think in england rules for this are so strong and fans can get many years ban so thats why dont happen offten I guess !

Last edited:

....... anyway, to be fair with pro patria supporters, the vast majority of them took distance from those few savages... infact in that video u can actually hear the entire stadium applauding boateng as he steps out of the pitch. unfortunately it takes only a few dozens savages to tarnish the reputation of an entire stadium.

indeed those few morons actions will reflect on an entire legion of supporters, and that is unfair. the authorities should find out who did this and Punish them severely (so this won't happen again) and also clarify the matter on the involvement (or not) of the other supporters.

Last I read, they found the racists and identified them.

We need zero tolerance in the stadiums, and find a way around all the red tape around Italian stadias. That's the only way to boost revenue streams and make stadiums more civilised.

On a different note - grazie papero. Hope you become what you were supposed to become.

Just days after Kevin-Prince Boateng walked off in protest during a Pro Patria-Milan friendly, play was almost halted this evening when Cagliari’s bench complained of racist chanting towards Victor Ibarbo.

The referee did stop for a few seconds to discuss the matter with the captains and order a warning message to be sent over the tannoy system.

“The monkey noises from the stands were becoming more insistent and I simply urged the referee to make the announcement for all the fans in the stadium.”

Boateng did great in leaving a friendly but it's time for a team to leave an official match.

Seedorf came out a few days ago and said he suffered from this but thought it was best not to give these dirts any importance but Boateng is really troubled by this. He might ask to leave the club.

Last edited:

Boateng did great in leaving a friendly but it's time for a team to leave an official match.

Seedorf came out a few days ago and said he suffered from this but thought it was best not to give these dirts any importance but Boateng is really troubled by this. He might ask to leave the club.

I think Seedorf was right , it was better if he just countinua to play ... why ? coz I think now this things gonna happen even more often and it has become even more big than before , until the italian federation don't make some BIG steps about this , just look at guy who try to atack ferdinand (utd vs city) , 3 years ban from all stadiums on UK , it even can go in jail !

today is Milan vs Siena , I think next match away from home for Milan it gonna happen something similary against boateng and other black guys of Milan , hope not but after what happen I think it has even more chances than before this happen !

and there are rumors that Boateng want to play on Premier League .... if so hope on Liverpool...damn there is Suarez haha

Last I read, they found the racists and identified them.
yep, they've been identified and charged with violation of the anti-discrimination law (wich is a criminal offense).
zeem said:
that would not be possible. if a team forfeits a game, a default 0-3 loss is assigned. wich makes sense, as otherwise clubs might forfeit games to their own advantage (my 2 best players are injured, so i have one of my players complaining about racial insults and force my team to leave the game, in order to have it postponed to a date in wich my injured players will be fit again..... that's just a possible implication).
besides a small time friendly, played in a small stadium, doesn't present any serious public order issues, but a serie a game would be a completely different story. serie a matches are delicate public events, wich gather dozens thousands of people (at least)..... and this is why only the authorities (the prefetto and the referee) are allowed to interrupt a game.

anyway guys, back to football, what has impressed u the most so far this season? for me it's fiorentina. i gotta say i would have never thought montella could become such a good coach... don't know why, i just didn't thought he had it in him. and yet this is his third extremely succesful coaching experience (after roma and catania). not only his football is very easy on the eye (easily the most entertaining football in the league), but it's also extremely effective (given the kind of squad he has). i'm very impressed.

also, delio rossi has just been given the job at samp this xmas, and he had quite an impressive debut (beating juve with his team down to 10 men)...... wellcome back delio! :))

edit:
almost forgot the other thing that impressed me the most this season. el sharawi. that kid is a freak! i was very disappointed 2 years ago, when he decided to join milan instead of playing for genoa, because, with cassano and ibra, it was obvious he wasn't gonna get any playtime at all. i'm glad to see things eventually worked out for him.:))

Last edited:

it's fiorentina for me as well. they have a very good squad indeed (huuuge thanks to villarreal's relegation lol). they're playing some solid football from what I've seen (not that I've seen much tbh) and I love to see teams out there playing with different tactics like theirs. roma's another one, their matches are real joy to watch but they lack quality on the defensive side I think. and that imo is what puts them behind of fiorentina so far. also, completely agree with you on montella too.

on the other hand, the biggest surprise is lazio to me. I know they've always been a team on the upper side of the mid-table but how did they really manage to reach there now? I really don't get it. they don't have any leading force whatsoever either. weird, it's maybe because of serie a got really that weaker over the years after scandals or maybe just down to the success of their technical stuff. I can't make my mind up about that right now but I don't think they'll stay there for a long time either.

guys i'v seen a bit of Udinese vs Inter and after i start watching it was 1-0 and like 5 min later Luis Muriel scored than he got sub. and t was 1st match of him I saw since his Lecce days .... any of you guys can tell me more how he's doing at Udinese ? I loved this guy at Lecce !

on the other hand, the biggest surprise is lazio to me. I know they've always been a team on the upper side of the mid-table but how did they really manage to reach there now? I really don't get it. they don't have any leading force whatsoever either. weird, it's maybe because of serie a got really that weaker over the years after scandals or maybe just down to the success of their technical stuff.

not sure what u mean by "leading force". if u're referring to stand out players, they have a bunch of them. their midfield is probably one of the most creative in europe (and the only reason i'm saying "probably" is because i don't follow european football as much as i used to).... ederson, ledesma, hernanes, mauri, candreva, lulic... it's insane. man utd, chelsea, milan and inter could only dream such depth and quality at midfield.
they have a very solid defense (biava is arguably the most underrated cb in italy) and one of the very best goalkeepers in europe (so often nowadays i hear the word "world class" used to label goalkeepers who are nowhere near as good as marchetti... it just baffles me).

lazio is, along with fiorentina and napoli, all that's left in serie a of our midclass teams... since all the other midclass teams (samp, genoa, palermo, udinese, cagliari, parma) are in a transitional phase of their rebuilding process, and the big clubs (milan and inter) are on some sort of a "hiatus", it's only normal to find theese 3 clubs right behind juve.

so, long story short, both your reasons are valid. yes, lazio is a very good team... and yes, they're doing so well because most of their competition disappeared.:))
kanoutè said:
weird, it's maybe because of serie a got really that weaker over the years after scandals
actually the scandals (calciopoli and the betting scandal) had nothing to do with serie a's decline mate. the causes of serie a's current state are partly conjunctural, partly structural.

the structural order of causes is pretty evident. the lack investments (both foreign and domestic) dragged the league into some sort of recession. our sugar daddies got tired of wasting dozens of millions every season and that, combined with our inability to attract money from abroad, made it impossible for italian teams to compete on the market with their european counterparts. it's also worth mentioning that italy's main "hunting grounds" (brazil and argentina) got much more expensive in recent years. till a few years ago the brazilian market was very cheap, so with a good scouting network, it was possible to build a good team with some homegrown talents and some talented southamerican youngsters, without having to spend a fortune. today brazil is much richer than 10 or 5 years ago, and some of their clubs are actually richer than many serie a clubs, so we can't afford that market anymore.
another structural issue is obviously the lack of clubs-owned facilities.

as for the conjuncture instead, that comes down to a very curious coincidence. as u know, the main difference between midclass clubs and top clubs is that midclass clubs have to organize their strategies thinking to the "long-term" (whereas top clubs can afford to only care about the present). that means that every midclass club has an expiration date. u can build a top team, but, unlike the top clubs, u know u're gonna have to dismantle that great team in 2,3,4 years tops (because as your talented players grow in terms of experience and exposure, so will their ambition and desire to join bigger clubs, which can afford higher wages).

of course each midclass club follows its own 5 years strategy and they're never in sync. take the epl as example; right now newcastle and everton are on the peak of their "curve of growth" while aston villa is in a transitional phase.
well, what happened in serie a over the last 8 years is a huge coincidence. the calendar, the curve of all the midclass clubs was perfectly in sync. so for about 4 years u had an absolutely amazing league, with fiorentina, napoli, genoa, palermo, lazio, roma, udinese, samp and cagliari all displaying their best teams and playing their best football at the very same time....
but of course, since their strategies had the exact same timing, they also had to dismantle their teams and start rebuinding at the exact same time..... wich is why today serie a is such a dull, weak league.

the scandals had really no part whatsoever in serie a's decline. infact serie a's best period came exactly after the biggest of the scandals (calciopoli) and the team wich got most deeply involved in that scandal (juve) is now doing extremely well (whereas clubs like palermo and udinese, which were never involved in any scandal whatsoever, are facing a very rough patch).
LFC Albania said:
guys i'v seen a bit of Udinese vs Inter and after i start watching it was 1-0 and like 5 min later Luis Muriel scored than he got sub. and t was 1st match of him I saw since his Lecce days .... any of you guys can tell me more how he's doing at Udinese ? I loved this guy at Lecce !
yeah, i'd like to know how he's doing aswell. he looked like a terrific prospect at lecce, but i haven't followed udinese at all this season, so i can't really answer your question.

Muriel got injured very early on in the season quite seriously, so he's only been coming back now.

And Ben, I think you're not giving enough credit to Petkovic. He brought structure to Lazio... before that, they were a mess. Lotito is signing just the right players they need, and cutting the deadweight (ie. Rocchi and FINALLY Zarate).

Petkovic is also a great guy to listen to in post/pre-match interviews... this guy is classy and seems to have all the players behind him and has built team with a very organised defence and midfield, feeding onto the super duper Klose!

At this moment, Viola and Lazio deserve the CL spots more than anyone else imo.

Last edited:

Muriel got injured very early on in the season quite seriously, so he's only been coming back now.

And Ben, I think you're not giving enough credit to Petkovic. He brought structure to Lazio... before that, they were a mess. Lotito is signing just the right players they need, and cutting the deadweight (ie. Rocchi and FINALLY Zarate).

Petkovic is also a great guy to listen to in post/pre-match interviews... this guy is classy and seems to have all the players behind him and has built team with a very organised defence and midfield, feeding onto the super duper Klose!

At this moment, Viola and Lazio deserve the CL spots more than anyone else imo.

oh alright thanks for info , surely I would be watching Udinese more in next weeks ;)

about Lazio , does Igli Tare sign the players ?

Yep, he's their sporting director I think. Strange how he become a director at the club after only being there for a few years.

yep, you're right. petkovic has done a brilliant job so far. truth to be told, it's not like reja was doing bad (wich, if anything, proves this is a good squad), but pektovic seems to be taking it to he next level. he was very smart to realize reja had given solid foundationd to this team, so rather than revolutionizing formations and schemes, he kept working from where reja left.
and yeah he seems a very nice guy indeed.
How is Cavanda doing at Lazio ?
i'v seen him just a couple of times, but he seemed to be doing very well. he's konko's backup right now.

That was a fantastic goal he scored yesterday. As Ben said, this whole Lazio team has been very good this season. Klose, Biava, Hernanes, Marchetti,... The reserve Floccari did very well also yesterday. They can give it to Juve this next half of the season. Heard they might go for Lampard when his contract expires. That would be something.

Lots of market news going on. Llorente to Juve is well on track. Could be exactly what they need. Abate to Zenit also. Milan can't refuse a +10M from any club now. Galliani meanwhile is trying to force his mistakes out of the club.

Last edited:

thanks for the great post, lo zio. a very enlightening read as always from you. I'm so looking forward to Serie A being at its best as in the good old days. Serie A is special.

Juve draw , Lazio and Napoli won so did Inter , serie a its getting exited :D

Udinese won 3-1 , 2 Di Natale and 1 Muriel , same as vs Inter , I dont saw match but glad Muriel score again ;)

btw Lecce back to win 2-0 today , it was time they win , had a bad run in last matchs ! maybe they where just doing some bets and getting some money and now they back to win :LMAO:

so i am curious if italian players got off easy with the match fixing scandals over the last few years

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...ife-bans-on-41-players-in-south-korea?cc=5901

it's still too early to say. most of the investigations aren't over yet, some trials didn't even start yet, and at this point in time, we only have a few verdicts.
the only players who are already sentenced are those players who admitted their crimes, and most of them got a "soft treatment" in exchange for some snitching.

we still don't know the extent, the scope of this scandal. it's hard at this point, to separate speculations and fake accusations from actual criminal episodes. besides, we only know what the magistrates decide to share with the press (wich is not much, given the inverstigation are still in progress and the confidential nature of their inquiry).

with yesterday's loss against napoli, palermo is 2nd bottom and 4 points below salvation. next week we'll play lazio, wich means we might find ourselves 7 points behind 4th bottom.
this is when things get ugly. :(

I really hope Palermo can avoid relegation. It's my favourite Italian team...
On the other hand: sometimes a relegation can be a new start for some club. If they can go up straight away, then it's a fresh start and can be a blessing...(but lots of clubs don't go up straight away and then they are in trouble, so better to avoid relegation).

fiorentina vs roma tomorrow night in coppa italia action. don't miss it pals!
nice. the serie a game was insane (4-2) and both teams don't have a real shot at the scudetto, so they should be taking this coppa italia encore seriously.
just checked out on the corriere dello sport website and apparently totti, lamela, and osvaldo are out. too bad.
Gerd said:
I really hope Palermo can avoid relegation. It's my favourite Italian team...
On the other hand: sometimes a relegation can be a new start for some club. If they can go up straight away, then it's a fresh start and can be a blessing...(but lots of clubs don't go up straight away and then they are in trouble, so better to avoid relegation).
sadly there's no scenario wich could picture a relegation as a blessing. the financial loss would be huge and, for a club with a very tiny profit margin like palermo, that would be a disaster.

Last edited:

Nice job Sky Sport Italy... reporting the Guardiola to Bayern story over a week ago, when the rest of the world kept saying United or Chelsea.

nothing was boring about the game but the goal itself so far. why neto stood still there is beyond me. (rules for keepers #1: catch the ball if you can. :P) on the other hand, goicoechea is having an outstanding game so far, motm to me. the save against cuadrado's header was just buffon-esque.

edit: I've never seen such cheap red cards in a long time. this was supposed to be the italian football?

and cuadrado, what an idiot :LMAO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom