The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

1648836885281.png

The World Cup Draw has been completed! :TU:

3 teams are yet to be determined, the winner of Peru vs UAE/Australia, Wales vs the winner of Ukraine/Scotland, and the winner of Costa Rica vs New Zealand.

Last edited:
Nice. Yesterday in Barcelona, more then 91k in Camp Nou was watching the UWCL match between Barca and Real Madrid. Nice!:APPLAUD::EASY:

It was incredible. Good to see the woman's game making these strides. Aberdeen Women played their first game at the men's stadium just two weeks ago which was a landmark.

View attachment 153411

The World Cup Draw has been completed! :TU:

3 teams are yet to be determined, the winner of Peru vs UAE/Australia, Wales vs the winner of Ukraine/Scotland, and the winner of Costa Rica vs New Zealand.

Really hope we get there now. I'd fancy our chances against USA and Iran, and playing England is always a good laugh because we live in their heads rent free.

I always liked Dyche too. Refreshingly regular in a league that's up its own arse. Easily the longest serving, which now passes to Klopp.
Yanks running Burnley right?
Guess the revolution is/has been cancelled.
Screenshot_2022-04-15-13-05-12-129_com.android.chrome.jpg

Imo they've ruined what was/is the charm of a town club ,thinking they'll be PSG is pretty delusional.

This coming up weekend will be a good one for english football. LFC v ManShity and CFC v Crystal Palace at FA Cup semi finals.

Watching Rotherham V Ipswich (L1) hands down the worst game of football I've ever seen.
The players should pay the fans for insufferable torture.
Reminds me of a tweet I saw yesterday, absolutely moronic but, shamefully, it made me laugh like a drain.

"Sad that Scunthorpe have been relegated to the Conference, leaving just two teams in league football that have swear words in their name. Arsenal and Ipshit."

Reminds me of a tweet I saw yesterday, absolutely moronic but, shamefully, it made me laugh like a drain.

"Sad that Scunthorpe have been relegated to the Conference, leaving just two teams in league football that have swear words in their name. Arsenal and Ipshit."
Ha ha ,brilliant!

Watching Rotherham V Ipswich (L1) hands down the worst game of football I've ever seen.
The players should pay the fans for insufferable torture.

Welcome to my world :LOL:

Related to this season's league one (which has been very much like your comment on the whole!) and on the football thoughts theme. Gavin Bazunu, what a keeper. We'd be 20 points worse off without him this season. He's on loan from Man City and going on yesterday's efforts from Man City's backup keeper he might just be number 2 there next season! Best young keeper I have ever seen. Made so many fantastic saves, one on one's, diving saves, comes out and catches corners, commands his box brilliantly and good with his feet. Only just turned 20 as well.

Personally I'd mute the annoying music... but found this collection of saves from this season and this is far from all of them

Welcome to my world :LOL:

Related to this season's league one (which has been very much like your comment on the whole!) and on the football thoughts theme. Gavin Bazunu, what a keeper. We'd be 20 points worse off without him this season. He's on loan from Man City and going on yesterday's efforts from Man City's backup keeper he might just be number 2 there next season! Best young keeper I have ever seen. Made so many fantastic saves, one on one's, diving saves, comes out and catches corners, commands his box brilliantly and good with his feet. Only just turned 20 as well.

Personally I'd mute the annoying music... but found this collection of saves from this season and this is far from all of them

He seems really solid ,good and fast sideways.
A real find for you I guess.
How is he with his feet ,I know pep is a "goalie should start attacks" guy

He seems really solid ,good and fast sideways.
A real find for you I guess.
How is he with his feet ,I know pep is a "goalie should start attacks" guy

Yeah he's good with his feet too. I'd imagine he'll be on loan in at least the Championship next season so no chance of us having him again unfortunately!

A follow-up on the Union saga here in Belgium.
The regular competition is over and Union finshed first. But they aren't champions. The four best teams have started the play-offs past weekend.
There was quite a lot of confusion because Union's last match did not end. They played already relegated Beerschot and in the 81th minute some Beerschot "fans" decided to do a pitch invasion. The ref stopped the match, at that moment it was 0-0. After much discussion the Belgian FA decided that Union won the match with 5-0.

That gives them a bonus of 3 points to big favourites Brugge.

Past weekend the play-offs have started:

Brugge- Antwerp 1-0
Union - Anderlecht 3-1

Rankings:

1 Union 42 points
2 Club Brugge 39 points
3 Royal Antwerp FC 32 points
4 RSC Anderlecht 32 points

By winning the regular competition Union already assured themselves from European football (not sure but it might even be CL football).
In the first match Union was far better than Anderlecht (in a Brussels derby) while Brugge won rather luckily with a ball deflected by an Antwerp defender. Most pundits still think Brugge are the big favourites, but everybody except the Brugge fans wants Union to win it.

I read a long interview with Union player CHristopher Burgess. He started for the Arsenal academy but was ditched because they thought he was not good enough. He was bought by Middelsborough, but never played for them. Was loaned to several other clubs (Portsmouth was one of them). Meanwhile he earned himself a degree in history. What a breath of fresh air this guy is. Very intelligent, nice lad.

Of course everybody wonders what will happen next season, will the players stay? Star forward Dennis Undav is already on his way to Brighton (Union is also owned by Tony Bloom who owns Brighton). And their best player Kasper Nielsen (he is something special) will also almost certainly leave.

If they play CL, perhaps they can attract some Brighton players?

Last edited:
I read a long interview with Union player Tim Burgess. He started for the West Ham United academy but was ditched because they thought he was not good enough. He was bought by Middelsborough, but never played for them. Was loaned to several other clubs (Portsmouth was one of them). Meanwhile he earned himself a degree in history. What a breath of fresh air this guy is. Very intelligent, nice lad.

It's Christopher, not Tim. :) Yeah he is a great guy, much loved by Pompey fans. He did a lot in the community when he was here as well and is an all round nice guy. The story seems a little out on the finer details though. It was the Arsenal academy he was at, not West Ham, he once said in an interview that he was in the same academy team as Jack Wilshere. I believe he was in his second year at uni after being released from Arsenal (and playing for the uni team as well!) when Middlesbrough signed him. I think Peterborough actually signed him from Middlesbrough after initially loaning him because we signed him from Peterborough, he wasn't a loan. He had five great seasons playing over 200 games and a big part of the team that won League 2 in 2017. Everyone was sad when he left. Really pleased for how it's gone for him since and hope that he gets to play Champions league football. What a great story that would be.

Really hope Union can win it, seems to be between them and Brugge. Did Brugge complain about Union being awarded those 2 extra points?

It's Christopher, not Tim. :) Yeah he is a great guy, much loved by Pompey fans. He did a lot in the community when he was here as well and is an all round nice guy. The story seems a little out on the finer details though. It was the Arsenal academy he was at, not West Ham, he once said in an interview that he was in the same academy team as Jack Wilshere. I believe he was in his second year at uni after being released from Arsenal (and playing for the uni team as well!) when Middlesbrough signed him. I think Peterborough actually signed him from Middlesbrough after initially loaning him because we signed him from Peterborough, he wasn't a loan. He had five great seasons playing over 200 games and a big part of the team that won League 2 in 2017. Everyone was sad when he left. Really pleased for how it's gone for him since and hope that he gets to play Champions league football. What a great story that would be.

Really hope Union can win it, seems to be between them and Brugge. Did Brugge complain about Union being awarded those 2 extra points?
Thanks, i've corrected my mistakes.
Club Brugge did not complain, but a former Brugge player iùùediately said that Brugge could make a fair-play statement by not complaining. They didn't. Not sure if they would have if he hadn't said that. We will never know.

To be completely honest, i was dog tired yesterday evening and went to bed just after Mahrez' goal, so i haven't seen the whole match.
This was a match full of big mistakes.
The most obvious one is the fact that Guardiola substituted his best player after 72 minutes (KDB). Why? I read that later on he substituted both Mahrez and Jesus. Both are players that can score goals (albeit that for me Jesus is not good enough to play for City).
The ref was also piss poor. After 2 or 3 minutes Casemiro should have got a yellow card (foul on KDB) and later in the first half he should have got a yellow for his foul on Foden. Both cards could have changed the match completely.
He could also have given Laporte a red card for what he did to Modric immediately after the first Casemiro foul on KDB. And then there was the foul from Walker. Was it a foul, i think it was. And if he gives a foul, he also should have given a red card to Walker...

Once again Madrid goes through after having been the second best team for large parts of both matches...strange. This team has 3 world class players: Courtois, Modric and Benzema. Rodrygo and Vinicius both are big prospects, and so is Camavinga. The rest of the team is very average. This is not a CL winning team, yet they are in the final...very strange.

Back
Top Bottom