The Retro-PES Corner

Anyone good with PCSX2 picture settings?

I've been trying to play ISS2 on my Series S and the pitch makes it nigh-on unplayable. I thought it was because the image was shaking but I managed to fix that.

It's really grainy and noisy and difficult on the eye. I've found some shaders that make it better but still not great.

If someone knows off the top of their head, excellent.

If someone wants to experiment as I know some like a challenge, here's the game!

Mmmh i remember very very well that PES 2009 at the time, when we switched to the 2010 everyone was "finally, it's a bit less fast".
Or was it the one who was practically impossible to defend? I don't remember but it was considered as the worst of the 3 PS2 with PS3 graphics versions.
Not especially by me. Would like to retry to be sure but i already remember having retried when it was PES 2014 time and it was very weird.

PES 6 on XBOX 360 was good, and more natural in terms of animations than PES 2008.
I checked by nostalgia, and yes, you can compare, it's weird how it looked less rigid.
Unfortunetaly you couldn't edit, and that was a big annoying stuff, like a game breaker to play offline. But online, it was the very first super playable thanks to Xbox servers i think, not too much lag for the time.

Last edited:
09 was crazy fast, imo by far the crazier of the saga in some sense. Every single player, even keepers, had the op super fast turn that in 6 and 08 was only for really agile dribblers just to change direction. Inertia was so messed up lol. Last time I picked it up I played costantly pressing R2 at every movement, which at least gives players a more human turn instead of the flashy, default one.

Except from this it I've found it enjoyable tho. CPU played really well, imho better than 10, AI controlled superstars were really marked. Shooting and variety were on point. There certainly are many better chapters, but I have a vivid memory of a super fun ML.

PES 2009 i couldn't thats the only one impossible to play seriously. But i didn't liked that much FIFA 09 neither where player runned faster with the ball than without. There's was poor years like that where both were bad and good year like for Fifa and PES 11.

PES 2009 i couldn't thats the only one impossible to play seriously. But i didn't liked that much FIFA 09 neither where player runned faster with the ball than without. There's was poor years like that where both were bad and good year like for Fifa and PES 11.

It's funny cause at the times I bought a Ps3 mostly for MGS4 and Fifa; picked exactly Fifa 09, I remember trying hard to like it but I ended up disappointed, dropping it in a few weeks. Maybe (or most likely, surely) I was too used to Pes and was expecting something different than what it was, I'd be curious to re-play it today regardless of his true shortcomings.. might do it if I'll found the disc. Fact is that I couldn't love that Fifa gen (from 07-08, which I haven't played, to 11) until only recently, when I replayed both 11 on pc and on Ps3, and found all the good there was.

p.s. by the way what's even funnier is that in the end even MGS4 ended up not really disappointing me, but being less that I was hoping for. After both those experiences I've only picked the Ps3 from the dust to try demos of Pes from 14 (13 actually) onwards (they used to come out there first iirc) and only relatively recently I've played The Last of Us, loaned to me from a friend like two years ago something, and Fifa 11 in this latest weeks. So things kinda fell in place 12 years later but from this experience with the Ps3 marked me in the sense I've become super skeptic about buying another console ever again.

It's funny cause at the times I bought a Ps3 mostly for MGS4 and Fifa; picked exactly Fifa 09, I remember trying hard to like it but I ended up disappointed, dropping it in a few weeks. Maybe (or most likely, surely) I was too used to Pes and was expecting something different than what it was, I'd be curious to re-play it today regardless of his true shortcomings.. might do it if I'll found the disc. Fact is that I couldn't love that Fifa gen (from 07-08, which I haven't played, to 11) until only recently, when I replayed both 11 on pc and on Ps3, and found all the good there was.

Re. the PS3 -- is there still a PSN for it? If so, maybe the FIFA09 demo will still be available.

I've still got my PS3 and a while back managed to get the PS3 versions of nearly all the 'lost PES' editions. As everyone here knows PES2015/16/17/18 on PS3 are all different games from the ones we all played after the generational shift to PS4 happened. I've now managed to snag 3 of the 4. I'm just waiting for PES2018 on PS3 to come down in price from the £20-30 that it still goes for, which is due to its reputation as the best of the PS3's lost PESes.

I'd like to complete a total, playable PES Library, stretching from Konami Soccer all the way PES2021, including all the PS2 Winning Elevens. These latter WE games will be a longer term project and might just end up as PC emulator versions. First I'm grabbing the low-hanging fruit of all the easy 'lost editions' that we missed due to console generation changes. That includes all the PS2 versions from PES2009 to that console's swansong, PES2014 (which I've played emulated and feels extraordinarily good).

The intention isn't to collect PES games like human heads and then sit there rocking and humming. It's to actually play them all, one after the other, over the coming years. Play meaning a minimum of 5 complete seasons on Master League. Each.

Of the three, PES2017 plays really well, and gives me strong 'you really could play the arse off this for months' vibes. I got that for £4 on eBay.

PES2015 on PS3 is uncomfortably almost identical to PES2014 on PS3. And I'm saying that as a PES2014-liker. The issue is that I wanted PES2015 to be more like the great PS4 version (a minor classic IMO) than PES2014, the first great problem child of the PESverse. (eFootball being the second, much-more-of-a-problem child.)

I haven't tried PES2016 yet. I found its PS4 counterpart a bit too casual and generally unPESlike, so I'm biased against its PS3 cousin even though I know it'll be different.

So I was all set to start an ML on PES2017 on PS3, and then FIFA 22 distracted me, but EA have started their annual undermining of a decent launch version, and like a bird flying south for the winter I can sense PES calling.

Last edited:
I just saw this bro! Amazing write up and review. I've been really enjoying PES 2011 and PES 2013, and I want to try the 2nd game of the trilogy!

I feel like both 2011 and 2013 have their own advantages over the other.

PES 2011: Better graphics and presentation, smoother gameplay, deeper Master League and tactics, overall a more beautiful game.
PES 2013: Many more active patches, especially for obscure leagues, different pass assistance levels, more varied difficulty.

Can't wait to PES 2012, downloading it right now. I'm expecting a combination of both! :TU:
I'm happy to hear you're trying out PES2012, it's definitely worth a shot.

Out of the trilogy, PES2012 isn't just sandwiched between PES2011 and PES2013 chronologically, but also figurally, as it's overshadowed by both of them. PES2011 was the 1st and was a significant departure from previous titles, also the most simulation focused title Konami made since PES5, while PES2013 was the last of the trilogy and most polished because of it, probably being the most popular and beloved title Konami made since PES6.

PES2012 isn't just a poor victim though, the other reason it's the most overshadowed out of these it's because of many decisions regarding gameplay, it experimented a lot, which make it very polarizing compared to the average football game, it really is a matter of taste, but because of this it's very common for players to usually prefer either PES2011 or PES2013 over it, since they mostly lack some of PES2012's unique shortcomings.

Regarding its modes, there's not much I can say, it's very similar to PES2013 for the most part, being the title that introduced the 3D cutscenes, I think the main difference in ML and BAL is the boots. It also has League and Community mode, which PES2013 removed, and Club Boss, which was a mode that you could buy in the PES Shop, though it wasn't anything special, so it was only present this one time.

Now, let's talk gameplay.

I'll say it right now that this is the fastest of the trilogy, if you're into that then you're fine, you can even turn the speed up if you prefer, but if you're more into a realistic pace, like I am, -1 and -2 are a must, I feel that -1 is perfect for 10min or 15min matches, though you can use -2 aswell. If it's still too fast for your tastes, then the only solution is mods, though from experience I believe -1 or -2 should be fine.

Movement is probably the best before the FOX Engine titles, I'm not sure how many directions it has, or if it's 360º, it might not be, but it does feel like it, while I usually prefer for players to feel weighty their light feeling here doesn't bother me too much, they're very responsive, though not in a way where they end up playing out animations which make no sense to keep up with the speed, it feels natural while also giving you a lot of control.

Shooting is probably one of the most controversial aspects, I'll give it credit for being one of the most random in the series, with deflections usually troubling the keepers in a realistic manner, but it's very floaty, and your input doesn't seem to have the influence over the direction like it should, the power bar also feels like a height bar since a powerful shot seems to be contextual, usually when you shoot immediately after controlling the ball and sprinting.

Passing will probably be satisfying one way or another, since this is the title that introduced assistance settings in a more deep way, ranging from 0 bar to 4 bar passing, personally I enjoy 0 bar, and FUMA overall, to make up for me playing on a lower difficulty, though I'll get to that later, still, all of the other settings have their merits, 1 bar and 2 bar are probably the closest to feeling like PES2011, for example, so they're good if you're into that style of passing.

Defending had the most unique direction it ever had, it was much more focused on being manual, at least compared to previous and even future titles, your main tool isn't pressure, like usual, this time it's the jockey. If you hold the jockey (R2/RT) and pressure buttons (X/A) at the same time your player will lock onto the opponent with the ball, then it's a matter of timing, by releasing the jockey button at the right moment.

CPU attacking is another important aspect here. PES2012 has no mercy, the CPU's main method of attacking is dribbling, it's really hard to get the ball off of them, you'll usually commit fouls if you're careless, which they'll score most of the time, it can be repetitive and unrealistic to see the CPU play this way, which can turn many people off, you have to get the hang of the defending.

An important tool is the super cancel, which you can do by holding the right bumper and right trigger (R1/RB + R2/RT), it's convenient in attacking, in the case of a player making the wrong run to receive a through pass, you can manually fix the run and actually get to the ball before the defender. Defending is where it matters most though, to intercept passes and crosses, usually your defenders freeze in a cross, unless you use this to manually position them.

Last thing I'd like to mention is the difficulty settings, this is the PES which brought back Superstar, which you can buy on the PES Shop. The higher difficulty settings will give you a challenge, so if you're into a ruthless CPU then you'll be pleased, but it's less realistic because they're more robotic and dribble too easily, it's also fast, I feel that difficulties like Professional are more realistic, because they're slower and have more error, FUMA helps balancing it out.

I think that's it, overall this is one of the most unique PES titles, it's somewhat polarizing, but there's lots to like here: Sophisticated UI; Rich modes; Realistic graphics; Deep editor; Fouls and even penalties; Manual focused defending system; Pass assistance settings; Manual settings in general; Lovely OST; 360º like player movement; Randomness...

Personally, on 10min matches, Pitchside camera, -1 speed, Professional difficulty and FUMA settings... I love this.

Last edited:
Hey Guys. Havent been here since late July, sorry :)
So a few days ago my PC broke, and im thinking of buying one so i can play PES of course haha
But im not sure if i should get a Laptop or a PC. Anyone here played PES in a Laptop? How is it? I think it may be similar ye but i just wanna know. Good night guys!

I think it really depends on what kind of laptop you get, if you get a decent gaming laptop you can play installments no problem, and if you get a slightly older one you'll probably have no problem running up to 2017 either. :TU:I have a gaming Asus (mid-range) which runs modded PES 2021 with no issues.

Last edited:
Re. the PS3 -- is there still a PSN for it? If so, maybe the FIFA09 demo will still be available.

I've still got my PS3 and a while back managed to get the PS3 versions of nearly all the 'lost PES' editions. As everyone here knows PES2015/16/17/18 on PS3 are all different games from the ones we all played after the generational shift to PS4 happened. I've now managed to snag 3 of the 4. I'm just waiting for PES2018 on PS3 to come down in price from the £20-30 that it still goes for, which is due to its reputation as the best of the PS3's lost PESes.

I'd like to complete a total, playable PES Library, stretching from Konami Soccer all the way PES2021, including all the PS2 Winning Elevens. These latter WE games will be a longer term project and might just end up as PC emulator versions. First I'm grabbing the low-hanging fruit of all the easy 'lost editions' that we missed due to console generation changes. That includes all the PS2 versions from PES2009 to that console's swansong, PES2014 (which I've played emulated and feels extraordinarily good).

The intention isn't to collect PES games like human heads and then sit there rocking and humming. It's to actually play them all, one after the other, over the coming years. Play meaning a minimum of 5 complete seasons on Master League. Each.

Of the three, PES2017 plays really well, and gives me strong 'you really could play the arse off this for months' vibes. I got that for £4 on eBay.

PES2015 on PS3 is uncomfortably almost identical to PES2014 on PS3. And I'm saying that as a PES2014-liker. The issue is that I wanted PES2015 to be more like the great PS4 version (a minor classic IMO) than PES2014, the first great problem child of the PESverse. (eFootball being the second, much-more-of-a-problem child.)

I haven't tried PES2016 yet. I found its PS4 counterpart a bit too casual and generally unPESlike, so I'm biased against its PS3 cousin even though I know it'll be different.

So I was all set to start an ML on PES2017 on PS3, and then FIFA 22 distracted me, but EA have started their annual undermining of a decent launch version, and like a bird flying south for the winter I can sense PES calling.

Similar to my Covid hobby! Built up a solid collection now with a relatively small number of unique titles missing from PS1 and PS2 especially. PES 2018 on PS3 can be quite pricey. 😕

Similar to my Covid hobby! Built up a solid collection now with a relatively small number of unique titles missing from PS1 and PS2 especially. PES 2018 on PS3 can be quite pricey. 😕
Currently the best price on Amazon, preowned, is £34 inc. P&P, which is a staggering price for a 4-year-old football game on a two-generations-ago console. Things are only slightly better on eBay. CeX online do it for £20 plus P&P. The PS4 version is £4.

I can afford to wait though as it will not hold that value for long. And there's actual reason in amassing all the old games: to actually play them, extensively. PES2017 for PS3 is first in the long queue. I fancy some PES2014 on the PS2 after that (the PS2 games work better on emulation these days, and upscaled on PCSX2 are so good!). I will get the physical versions to keep. I am currently quite liking FIFA 22 and am content to carry on there, making PES all the sweeter when its time inevitably comes around again.

I personnally would like a PS3 without zone issue. If you got tips, PM me, as it's about some "mod" if you know what i mean.
It's pretty hard to found a functionnal PS3 with retrocompatibility, even if Sony produce some of them and release it... But where?
I would like to buy one. And then mod it. But i don't want my PS2 games emulated.
Got Epsxe and PES1 and 2 restored real CD, it's the same as the one you can found on various Emulation iso. But there's some "lags"... Only for those games in fact. The rest is running smooth. But not PES : i checked everything to have bug free but there's slowdowns.

One way to reduce slowdown at the max is to set the PCSX2 on your Nvidia panel with programs to 60 fps locked. And desactivate the Frame Limiting (it's for benchmark, you'll see the game running 5 times faster than it should be.
It's an IG problem i suppose. WE9FE got less that problem (superb game btw, unfortunetaly got only the italian translated version)

But i'm interested if someone still got it : PES 2 with all kits remade. I prefers that version to WE6FE. I got a version but only Logo are modified.
The rest is basic, not even real faces assigned for Davids etc.

I don't know if a PES1 or PES2 OF exist. Well the last paragraph is just a question.
But if could stop time, i would made 3 project : the one is what i'm doing now but it's pretty (pretty hard) correcting all PES 2021 errors, weird totally wrong faces, foot, errors in stats, and finish quickly to create missing player there and there on AFC for example.
Would really like to play it in 4K in my living room, but since i discovered all the errors in PES, it became harder, and much much harder since they signed a tons of league.
As i personnally really like that version, after practically 3 years of not playing a lot of football game, just some rare sessions. I really feel that's the game i want, except missing the R2 dribbling (PES 2019 was the only i played more. PES 2018... Well not my cup of tea)

Second project would be is PES 6 with stats from the version up to date (J-League 2007, i noticed some errors in game like Giovinco signed on July and another player for example from the PES 6 original season) and just because i want the give the authenticity and balance from the good old time, same with PES 3 with stats from WE7I up to date. I remember that all new player who wasn't on WE7 or WE6FE got very weird and awful stats, made completely random probably by Konami Europe. If i made a research, i remember tons of players added who got very bizarre and non matching with the rest stats. Or copy paste from WE6FE like Camoranesi.
I searched everywhere, there's no full club version of PES 5 up to date from Konami. WE9 Asia Championship got wrong names for Euro teams and very very few like the biggest (5 from italy, 4 from Spain, 5 england, Celtic etc.) the rest is composed by plenty of team from East and West Asian even one Bahrain club the only one on the serie, Saudi etc. much more AFC based. K-League 1 licence and i don't remember if there's the D2, and J1/J2 leagues of course with all faces preset except some youths.

That's why i would like to restore it to the "real" Konami Japan stats, based on the start of the season, on PES 3 or 6, i like Konami authenticity, that's all, with their flaws. I may only retouch height or weight if they were totally wrong. Perhaps one day... As it's still on it since 15 years or more, it can wait one year more ;) It would took some time but it's more a recopy stuffs, but no prob i still got something to open the file and get data, stats, faces etc.
Now about kits, logo... I would send the basis, then up to you about kitserver or whatever to do. I'm more a Database guy. And transfers i still got the old list to do on Gamefaqs lol. It was my very first full editing game, transfers, logo and characters.

I will one day. FTM i prefers at least finish my stuffs and not turn on my PS5 every 5 days. I got a lot of games. It will depends on my state of advancement. I think one day i will get enough of that shit lol, and play GOW, Sekiro, Demon's Souls remastered, even Tekken 7 and Doom i never really played.

1634355428427.png

PES 2012 looks really nice. Awesome lighting and pitches! Presentation is very similar to 2011 and much better than 2013.

Gameplay it's a bit too soon to tell but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing! I'm playing with my preferred settings (one bar assistance, 15 minute matches, -1 speed, pitch side camera like @MKC recommended), and the physics feel smooth! I like the timed tackles in defense, it's a different experience altogether, and the limited passing assistance is great. I'm liking it so far. Now it's time to take a look at Master League and its details. :)

I think by far what I've liked the most as of now is the presentation! The quality of the graphics and the overall atmosphere is very satisfying. :TU:

So now, I can say that I have the trilogy of 2011 2012 2013.
Now it comes down to deciding which one I'll pick for a European Master League, 2011, or 2012.. Tough, tough decision.
2013 I'll probably use for a South American ML!

Last edited:
Currently the best price on Amazon, preowned, is £34 inc. P&P, which is a staggering price for a 4-year-old football game on a two-generations-ago console. Things are only slightly better on eBay. CeX online do it for £20 plus P&P. The PS4 version is £4.

I can afford to wait though as it will not hold that value for long. And there's actual reason in amassing all the old games: to actually play them, extensively. PES2017 for PS3 is first in the long queue. I fancy some PES2014 on the PS2 after that (the PS2 games work better on emulation these days, and upscaled on PCSX2 are so good!). I will get the physical versions to keep. I am currently quite liking FIFA 22 and am content to carry on there, making PES all the sweeter when its time inevitably comes around again.

We are kindred spirits!

I think I got PS3 2013 for about £15-20. That must've been about a year ago and was lucky then as the general price then was about £30. All about the scarcity! Music Magpie can be surprisingly good too. I've bought some latter PS3 PES and FIFA games from there at good prices.

I dived into collecting before I got a full appreciation of emulation and discovered CD Romance. Started with OPL on FreeMCBoot on my PS2, then jailbreaking my PS3, and now running PCSX2 on a Series S. Wouldn't have affected the collecting though as I like to own them!

My hope is to play an ML on all of the games, including the 'in between' games and J.League games (the translated ISO collection is pretty good too) which may be a tall order between now and... not being here! But I'll try. PS1 and PS2 games at very least. PS3 and PS4 might be a bit testing as A) I think the games simply aren't as good, B) most updates are no longer available to download and C) the unlicenced content is much worse and option files are a massive pain in the ass to install!

Also similar to you is an appreciation of FIFA 22. Really enjoying it and have an nice Career Mode on the go but I know already it's not good enough to play for the whole season and retro will take over (again) for 2022!

Hi guys! I was wondering if the following two menus could be changed in PES 2011.

1634458011003.png1634458096703.png

I am using PESEdit Patch, and even though these menus are nice, I'd like to try some new ones. (The first one is the main menu, the second one is the Master League one). I think that, at least in the main menu, this is the background picture that comes with PESEdit. Also, are there any animated menus available like in PES 2012 and 2013?

Thanks in advance bros. :TU:

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have a couple of questions:

1. Are any of you familiar with a good South American patch (focused on leagues) for PES 5?

2. I downloaded a patch for PES 6 called PES America, however I would like to revert to the original Spanish commentary, not the commentary created for the patch.. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks a lot bros. :TU:

Last edited:
Hi guys, sorry for my multiple posts in a row, it might seem like I'm spamming the thread, but I'm really not trying to. It's just that I have so many questions regarding these retro PES, since most of these retro PES are new to me.. And they're just really fascinating.

Bros, I have a very important yet simple question, and some might think controversial haha.
Which game do you prefer? PES 5 or PES 6, and why? I'd love to hear details about this comparison..

In South America, where I'm from, and also in Spain, I think PES 6 is considered in many quarters as the greatest PES of all time. And I've noticed that here at evo-web, opinions are a bit more split, perhaps I've noticed that more people say PES 5 is superior.. But in anycase here's pretty much the reason why I ask:

I am going more and more retro with my PES installments. After several solid years of playing PES 2017, 19, and 21, I was ready go explore the retro installments, which I had never played, and here are some conclusions.

So now, I've acquired PES 5 original season, PES 6 original season, and a South American patch for PES 6 as well (Called PES 6 America), and I've literally spent the whole night playing these two installments. I can definitely see why there are proponents of both games. But before I say my opinion on the matter. I would love to hear you guys' take on these two games, once again, covering as much as you can, gameplay, modes, depth of master league, what feeling the game gives you, etc.. I think this is the right place to post these questions in anycase, and keep the ball rolling. :TU:

Last edited:
Bros, I have a very important yet simple question, and some might think controversial haha.
Which game do you prefer? PES 5 or PES 6, and why? I'd love to hear details about this comparison..

In South America, where I'm from, and also in Spain, I think PES 6 is considered in many quarters as the greatest PES of all time. And I've noticed that here at evo-web, opinions are a bit more split, perhaps I've noticed that more people say PES 5 is superior.. But in anycase here's pretty much the reason why I ask:
PES5 without question is the peak of the series. PES games boil down to 'PES5' and 'Other'. And PES fans divide into those who grumble about PES5 having too many fouls, and those who know that they're wrong. PES5's fouls are the standard by which all football games' fouls must be judged. Only a fellow PES5 zealot will understand just how serious I am about that. Every football game since PES5 has fallen short. Every single one, on all platforms, all licences, all titles, all editions. All are deficient next to PES5. I played PES5 for a complete year and was sorry to leave it when PES6 came out.

So many reasons why. The fouls are a BIG part of PES5's magic, because of the way they eventually force you to play, i.e. properly, using actual football thinking to get the upper hand in a match, rather than simply barge the opposition off the ball. The more fouls the better. Call me Mr Crazy but I love to have double-figures for fouls by me and the CPU in a 10-minute match (that sometimes genuinely happens, especially when you're coming off the back of one of our modern online-focused football games). A football game that actually penalises physical play and allows contact between players and awards free kicks... imagine that.

The shooting model is still hardwired into my fingers.

It can feel fast by today's standards but the pace at the time felt perfect to me.

PES6 is still a great game but that was the beginning of the decline. The beginning of the end of the Golden Age. It was easier, much easier. Master League in PES5 on the highest difficulty took me 12 seasons to get from Defaults to Treble (league, Champions League, domestic cup and I still played on for another 10 seasons). On PES6 I made that journey in 5 seasons and was full. (I have the FIrebird edition of the game and am enjoying it. PES6 is a great game, no question. But PES5 is a star so bright that nothing can outshine it.)

p.s. I have PES5 Original Season and it is a wonderful tribute to the game, and it is as good as PES5. But it's a remix of the original, different in many subtle ways, notably being a touch slower which I appreciate better these days. The graphical upscale is very welcome too. It's the only version of PES5 I would play today, but I already have a long history with the original. You should get a copy of the original! If time is at a premium, though, carry on with Original Season.

Last edited:
Hi guys, sorry for my multiple posts in a row, it might seem like I'm spamming the thread, but I'm really not trying to. It's just that I have so many questions regarding these retro PES, since most of these retro PES are new to me.. And they're just really fascinating.

I am going more and more retro with my PES installments. After several solid years of playing PES 2017, 19, and 21, I was ready go explore the retro installments, which I had never played, and here are some conclusions.

1. I know I've changed my mind A LOT about this, or at least I've given a lot of different opinions on the matter, but ater a solid month of playing and testing PES 2011, 2012, and 2013, I can honestly say, that at least for now, PES 2013 is my least favorite out of the bunch. A combination of the presentation (which seems the messiest and least detailed out of the 3 installments), and the gameplay (which, to me at least, is too through ball oriented and kind of one dimensional, at least to my eyes) did not gel with my style of play. I know PES 2013 is the favorite of many, and is a very well respected game in the community, but it just.. Lacked something at least for me that PES 2011 and PES 2012 have. I can't really pinpoint it, but PES 2011 and PES 2012 just feel more right to me, (I am still floored by the menus, which I believe are the best in any PES, and the gameplay is very enjoyable too), and I think in football games, feeling is everything. The unfortunate part about this, however, is that 2013 has an awesome South American patch with second divisions which I really liked (Icaro PES Tricolor). Even if it is lacking in many details, I liked the fact that it had all of South American second divisions, if only this patch were available for PES 2011 or PES 2012, that'd be ideal. But oh well..

2. So now, I've acquired PES 5 original season, PES 6 original season, and a South American patch for PES 6 as well (Called PES 6 America), and I've literally spent the whole night playing these two installments. I can definitely see why there are proponents of both games. But before I say my opinion on the matter. I would love to hear you guys' take on these two games, once again, covering as much as you can, gameplay, modes, depth of master league, what feeling the game gives you, etc.. I think this is the right place to post these questions in anycase, and keep the ball rolling. If you guys want to chime in my opinions on PES 2011, 2012, and 2013 above, please feel free to do so as well. :TU:

Pes 5 is the best to me. By far. Despite the offensive CPU being bad, it's simply a magnificent environment for playing virtual football. The fouls, the heavyness in dribbling, the tight defenses, the stats.. it's all so wonderfully balanced, when I score a goal I rarely if ever feel cheap. I don't like the direction they took with Pes 6 and after playing a bit of WE10 I think it's an heavy downgrade also from that.

1. I know I've changed my mind A LOT about this, or at least I've given a lot of different opinions on the matter, but ater a solid month of playing and testing PES 2011, 2012, and 2013, I can honestly say, that at least for now, PES 2013 is my least favorite out of the bunch. A combination of the presentation (which seems the messiest and least detailed out of the 3 installments), and the gameplay (which, to me at least, is too through ball oriented and kind of one dimensional, at least to my eyes) did not gel with my style of play. I know PES 2013 is the favorite of many, and is a very well respected game in the community, but it just.. Lacked something at least for me that PES 2011 and PES 2012 have. I can't really pinpoint it, but PES 2011 and PES 2012 just feel more right to me, (I am still floored by the menus, which I believe are the best in any PES, and the gameplay is very enjoyable too), and I think in football games, feeling is everything. The unfortunate part about this, however, is that 2013 has an awesome South American patch with second divisions which I really liked (Icaro PES Tricolor). Even if it is lacking in many details, I liked the fact that it had all of South American second divisions, if only this patch were available for PES 2011 or PES 2012, that'd be ideal. But oh well..

2. So now, I've acquired PES 5 original season, PES 6 original season, and a South American patch for PES 6 as well (Called PES 6 America), and I've literally spent the whole night playing these two installments. I can definitely see why there are proponents of both games. But before I say my opinion on the matter. I would love to hear you guys' take on these two games, once again, covering as much as you can, gameplay, modes, depth of master league, what feeling the game gives you, etc.. I think this is the right place to post these questions in anycase, and keep the ball rolling. If you guys want to chime in my opinions on PES 2011, 2012, and 2013 above, please feel free to do so as well. :TU:

Horses for courses between PES5 and PES6 for me. Generally, the biggest criticism of PES5 is the foul count but that is in fact one of its strengths. The drawback is the AI's impotence in attack. PES6 is a lot zippier (a pro or a con, depending on your preference) mainly because of the lack of fouls, and the CPU is more open. As a result, PES6 is far easier and, as a result, I prefer and recommend PES5.

I hate to be that guy, but I find the revised editions (WE5-6 Final Evolution, WE7 International, and WE8-10 Liveware Evolution) to be - without exception - clearly superior to their originals and would say emulation is the way in order to play them. Can't be as confident about WE10LE as I haven't played it that much.

I find the revised editions (WE5-6 Final Evolution, WE7 International, and WE8-10 Liveware Evolution) to be - without exception - clearly superior to their originals
The Winning Elevens are my great undiscovered country in PES terms and I'm interested in completing my education. Which PES editions is each WE game you mentioned above the equivalent of? I know that WE9LE is 'Squid Game PES5' and have played it on PC with enjoyment, but I have murky awareness of all the others. E.g. I just looked at some WE5 on YouTube and it looks like a mashup of several early PS2 PESes. Which WE matches which PES or does that not really apply to the WEs?

The Winning Elevens are my great undiscovered country in PES terms and I'm interested in completing my education. Which PES editions is each WE game you mentioned above the equivalent of? I know that WE9LE is 'Squid Game PES5' and have played it on PC with enjoyment, but I have murky awareness of all the others. E.g. I just looked at some WE5 on YouTube and it looks like a mashup of several early PS2 PESes. Which WE matches which PES or does that not really apply to the WEs?

In relation to teams/modes and - largely speaking - gameplay:

Winning Eleven 5 = PES(1)
Winning Eleven 10 = PES6

The difference between the Japanese and European versions vary game on game depending on who you speak to! But each had a revised version released in the middle of their respective lifespans. WE5 and WE6 had 'Final Evolution', WE7 had 'International' and WE8 had 'Liveware Evolution', all Japan-only. WE9 and WE10 had Liveware Evolution, both Korea-only. There are English translations of all of them kicking around online, apart from WE7I (🐐) which has an English menu option.

There was also a J.League version released for each, apart from WE7 which got a PES Management-style J.League game instead. Earlier editions had J.League teams only, but European teams were included in later versions. English translations exist for most of these, too.

This is all to my understanding, which took some time to develop. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom