The Retro-PES Corner

Hi bros! I'd like to spark a little discussion about 2 editions I haven't played: PES 2008 and PES 2009, especially the PC versions!

Lately I've been on a PES5/6 and PES 2011-2012 binge. I've since concluded that, after hours and hours of toiling away at 2013, I prefer 2011 and 2012 by a long shot for presentation and gameplay reasons, they just seem like much better presented and smooth games to me, overall. PES 2010 seems cool but perhaps too arcadey for me.

PES 5 and 6 are recognized classics.

So in a way it'd be interesting to see these "in between" PES 2008 and PES 2009 versions. I haven't heard much about these two games, and what I've heard isn't that positive TBH, I especially heard PES 2008 had negative reviews.

All I know is that PES 2008 had some funny aspects.. A generic soundtrack with some funny songs like "Football, Soccer!" and "Use Your Head". :LOL: And the introduction is different to say the least!

In anycase, I'd like to hear some more detailed opinions on these 2 installments! Is PES 2008 as bad as some say? Or is it a decent game? What about PES 2009 I know nothing about this game.. :LOL: Maybe it's time I give them a try!

Last edited:
2008 was a very poor release. Badly optimized, few innovations when everyone was expecting a clear change of pace. BUt picking it up today with kitserver and no pressure, it's not even that bad. Of 2009 I talked some pages ago, very fast/attack oriented game with some messed up inertia, but more polished than 2008. I also like a lot the AI and the shooting system.

Anyway, to sum it up. Imho they both have some good Ps2 DNA and can be enjoyed under the right conditions/expectations.

2008 was a very poor release. Badly optimized, few innovations when everyone was expecting a clear change of pace. BUt picking it up today with kitserver and no pressure, it's not even that bad. Of 2009 I talked some pages ago, very fast/attack oriented game with some messed up inertia, but more polished than 2008. I also like a lot the AI and the shooting system.

Anyway, to sum it up. Imho they both have some good Ps2 DNA and can be enjoyed under the right conditions/expectations.
Right! I just re-read your review of PES 2009, also maybe the "Fastest PES ever" like @vialli82 said, hehe.. That will probably put me off a bit, I enjoy a bit slower gameplay, but anyway I suppose speeder could address that issue. Was PES 2008 bad in consoles, or also for PC? I've heard the versions are different. :LOL:

Right! I just re-read your review of PES 2009, also maybe the "Fastest PES ever" like @vialli82 said, hehe.. That will probably put me off a bit, I enjoy a bit slower gameplay, but anyway I suppose speeder could address that issue. Was PES 2008 bad in consoles, or also fpr PC? I've heard the versions are different. :LOL:
PEs 08 was the same for pc and all at the times NG consoles (360, Ps3).

On Ps2 it came out as a way more refined version of Pes 6.

Right! I just re-read your review of PES 2009, also maybe the "Fastest PES ever" like @vialli82 said, hehe.. That will probably put me off a bit, I enjoy a bit slower gameplay, but anyway I suppose speeder could address that issue. Was PES 2008 bad in consoles, or also for PC? I've heard the versions are different. :LOL:

Yes 2008 for the PC was awful (at least at the time) Personally I gave it another try a year or two ago and I still don't really like it. The PS3 version was the same I believe. PS2 version as @Madmac79 says though was way better and probably the true successor to PES 6. I have played it on PC with the emulator a bit and it feels much more like the next logical step of where you'd imagine they would have gone from PES 6. However this is Konami, so they didn't :LOL:

The problem I am having with retro games are that most of them are easy apart from PES 3 and PES 2012. The attacking AI is simply not strong enough to score goals against me. Later PES fixed this issue by introducing scripted attacking phases and handicap so that AI can be more threatening in attack. Overall I love PES 5 gameplay the most. I just wish there was a way to port PES 3's attack to PES 5.

Glad you found solution @millossobek ;)
I got a question, that's a thing i'm doing every time i install a patch, but it's not working this time. I will got much more free time in the coming weeks so i install everything possible (PS5, PC retro-pes, Emulator patchs for WE 2002, etc.)

Well here's my problem:
-I installed the 2 great patchs "Original season", PES 5 and 6. But i would really prefers having it in french, for a matter of comfort.
-As i have both original PES 5 and 6 on PC : i put the "F_Text" on the folder usually or replaced the "O_Text" and it work : my text language is in french...
But unfortunately, not this time, it's still in English and if i just put the file on the "dat" folder, it's greyed. If i replace, i only got formation setting in french (i want ML in french in fact)
Edit: It worked for PES 6, but not for PES 5 :/ Don't get it.

If anyone have an idea about how to change one patch in another language, don't hesitate to told me. I understand all in english txt but i prefers largely in french for text (not sound as commentary are upper bad in comparison)

Thanks in advance! If there's no solution, well i don't think i will start any ML, just made some cup, as to me on ML it's more the "immersive" part which interest me so... Well.

Last edited:
Hi bros! I'd like to spark a little discussion about 2 editions I haven't played: PES 2008 and PES 2009, especially the PC versions!

Lately I've been on a PES5/6 and PES 2011-2012 binge. I've since concluded that, after hours and hours of toiling away at 2013, I prefer 2011 and 2012 by a long shot for presentation and gameplay reasons, they just seem like much better presented and smooth games to me, overall. PES 2010 seems cool but perhaps too arcadey for me.

So in a way it'd be interesting to see these "in between" PES 2008 and PES 2009 versions. I haven't heard much about these two games, and what I've heard isn't that positive TBH, I especially heard PES 2008 had negative reviews.

All I know is that PES 2008 had some funny aspects.. A generic soundtrack with some funny songs like "Football, Soccer!" and "Use Your Head". :LOL: And the introduction is different to say the least!

In anycase, I'd like to hear some more detailed opinions on these 2 installments! Is PES 2008 as bad as some say? Or is it a decent game? What about PES 2009 I know nothing about this game.. :LOL: Maybe it's time I give them a try!
I had this game it was smooth decent graphics more animations than pes 6 but it has a speed bug , after a while the speed of the game went to 10 x faster and i deleted it , shame the game was fun , but the AI is only good if you install the konami official patches without them the AI is bad at defending

The problem I am having with retro games are that most of them are easy apart from PES 3 and PES 2012. The attacking AI is simply not strong enough to score goals against me. Later PES fixed this issue by introducing scripted attacking phases and handicap so that AI can be more threatening in attack. Overall I love PES 5 gameplay the most. I just wish there was a way to port PES 3's attack to PES 5.
yeah AI in pes 6 for me it has NO imagination in attack ... BUT there are some patches made by the people for the people (LOL) that are quite decent in that aspect , I think Super data patch or total patch 90 others too
EDIT: PES6 America Revolution this one the AI kicked my butt , great game

Last edited:

what version of pes 11 you play and does it come with gameplay tools ? I did my research and the jenkey tool it makes the game really good I tried a patch that comes with it but the gameplay tool didn t recognize the base game

I don't think there's a X360 very well working Emulator (probably soon as X360 got a PC architecture +-), but PES 6 from that version is different, less robotic than 2008-2009-2010 version. Just check on vids, when you turn with your player it's less rigid.

But it's uneditable (so no editable fake league) it need a patch if there's a way to restore the fake league and edit others things than names.
Just check when a player turns, it's a bit more natural like PES 5-6.

It runs +- smooth on my +- 8-10 years old PC averagely good with an Emulator (Xenia). Some "block" but no slowdown that interfers in the game, more on cutscenes...

Pretty interesting as a game to discover. Like on the vids changing direction is more smooth than on PES 2008 for sure (2010 is +- good in those terms)
Still the same old PES issue with the flanks uncovered but well... Sympathic to me after all those years to have the chance to replay it, still got the game haha but no 360 in real (the guy didn't wanted it when i sold my 360, it was +- at the end of PES 2009/FIFA 19 last summer)

I know it's not quite retro but as it's not active in here I thought I'd mention it.

I spent a bit of time with PES 2019 this past couple of weeks & I hadn't played it since, well 2019.

I really wasn't very fond of it at the time, didn't like the emphasis of fast paced, casual football with no player error or respect for contextual play. However, after playing PES 20/21 the last 3 years, and also finding myself somewhat disappointed with the sluggishness & latency of dribbling, player switching & positioning & repetitive AI, going back to 2019 actually felt very satisfying, responsive & actually a lot of fun.

I did a stream mid week and I was grinning throughout. I always say if a game isn't making you mutter "Oh for f*** sake" to yourself several times every match then it's a good game.

I even forgot how good the AI was, defenders would slide tackle you, flair players would use skills, others would shoot from range & keepers would sweep quicker.

I also changed my opinion from a couple of years ago about the necessity of slick responsveness in a football game. I understand now why, developers opt to sacrifice a little real realism for the sake of the player having agency over their own control sometimes. Too many times on 2021 I've lost possession or squandered chance because my controls failed me or they'd do something I didn't even want to.

I know it's a little more modern for this thread but I wonder what others stance is on this?

I was reminded of the difference in pace & responsiveness between 3 & 4 when I was gathering footage for those too. One year apart & drastically different experiences, both enjoyable depending on your mood that day.

Thanks again mate, but i tried everything for PES 5 and it's still the same, only 10% is in french. The rest (ML, Cup, etc.) still in English.
Same as i got before.
If someone got a e_text in total french (i doubt about it 😅) i'll appreciate very very much.
But weirdly, PES 6 > All in french. The other needed to be imported with AFSexplorer and assign files. But only some sentences are in french, like stats names or formation menu. Rest is all English.
Sorry for the annoyement, but it's a bit frustrating when you did it with every patch, and when you found the "almost perferct" one that you researched since a long time... That e > f_text files replacement (like i did it since 2007 with no problem) doesn't want to work like usual.

@Marlon Anthony personally i like both (2019 and 2021) for different reasons. Well, in fact it's since PES 2019 than players physics were a bit more "algorithmed", not even in PES 2017 it was the case, i liked it the very first time i tried. I like PES 2017 too, but it's like the last game from the 3-4 first years with Fox, then 2018 to 2021 were changed and got more calculations in terms of physics overally. You can't feel it on PES 2018.... But you can just notice that for example the facial representation, with exactly the same parameters, were completely differents : they changed every "style" of it, but the biggest change was the size of the pitch.

EDIT
On PES 2014 to 2017 it was small, with not too much space so easier to make a midfield fight. And more contacts too (a bit more fault than on PES 2018, but from my experience less than 2019 or 2021 > depends the way i play. I don't avoid contact at all)
That's why 2021, 2017, 2019 are my favorite from PS4 era (i would like to place PES 2014 too... But i saw WE 2014 Aoki Samurai, the "Final Evolution" and you can check : it's much more punchy, acceleration count. Acceleration didn't mattered at all on PES 2014 if you didn't force with with the right stick.

Full speed if your player got a high value yes a bit more, but nothing about acceleration. And you gotted to force also with pushing the right stick while running, Kojima like to make stuffs complicated for nothing.
But WE2014Aoki... You can saw defenders overlap by a quick acceleration... Then instead of continuing in that era and push more the stats based on PES 2014, they removed tons of stuff on PES 2015, but yes, fundamentals on PES 2015 like "stats matters a bit more" where there. But it was one dimensional.
Really really want that game seriously, i'll need a certain PS3... Which can also read PS2 natively : i don't want PES 1-2 + all Winning Eleven emulated. For that, i got my PC.

Last edited:
I like PES5 better because controlling the ball when you receive a pass is more difficult, even with very skilled players - despite all the effort of modders tweaking stats / ball physics they haven’t been able to achieve that in PES6 (imho).

This is probably the most important skill to master in modern football and surprisingly a 2006’s game understood it perfectly

Yes 2008 for the PC was awful (at least at the time) Personally I gave it another try a year or two ago and I still don't really like it. The PS3 version was the same I believe. PS2 version as @Madmac79 says though was way better and probably the true successor to PES 6. I have played it on PC with the emulator a bit and it feels much more like the next logical step of where you'd imagine they would have gone from PES 6. However this is Konami, so they didn't :LOL:
Ah, I loved the ps2 version, making my own bundesliga badges and that stripy kit BVB had that year, I bought the ps3 version for 80p a few years ago....i was robbed!

You'll love WE9 japanese then, my favourite version of all time that i played in the past, it's the one with the most midfield battle and cutting pass too.

But i think, "objectively" than PES 2008 ps2 is probably the best and more advanced PS2 version overally on everthing (modes too) just that i didn't got the chance to play it at the time. The one with the more variety, the console was pushed on limits i didn't thinked possible. New animations, skills, ball physics etc.
When i thinked that it was just a PES 6 copy as they didn't got time to work on it, they created a "master-version".

Edit: it's probably the version i regret the most not having played at the time. I played FIFA 08 who was pretty good... But not at that level of mastery.
Just play it after long sessions of PES 5 and 6 and you'll see all the micro details, animations, ball physics... I think it was another team working on it at the time when Seabass worked on PS3 version.

Thanks again mate, but i tried everything for PES 5 and it's still the same, only 10% is in french. The rest (ML, Cup, etc.) still in English.
It is because author of patch using modified str files.
For any another standard patch this French Language Pack will work correctly.

Try this one PES 5 Original Season French Language.

Thanks again mate, for all you do for the Retro-community, which concern almost 90% of that forums, even if playing time to time like me.
But i'll come back to it. And thanks also for sending (i don't remember if it was you) the "no stuttering/lag" for PES 5 : it's a game changer to me : before i only haved one of the 6 files. But there was still some input lag, now it completely disappeared.

You have no idea how your system of "portable" version was great. Now there will probably be some PES 6 2021-22 (no big deal for you when i see how fast you made a separate version 😅 and to be honest sincerely i don't care : 2000-2007 was the golden era to me about charismatic and skilled players) but rest a bit mate after all you've done.

Even if it doesn't work well, i'll do an ML in English, whatever i'll deal with it. Got something to do after my post then i'll try.
Won't ask you if it doesn't work, you did enough

It finally worked with your file @Sany023 :TU:
Everything is like usual when i select French for langage.
Thanks a lot mate i don't know how did you found (or made) that file, usually i completely replace f > e_text transformation but i still don't understand why it didn't worked (there's no added text or something like that, well i won't try to found why / problem resolved) str files is like special character or special design for positions no?
Whatever, no importance now :D

I like PES5 better because controlling the ball when you receive a pass is more difficult, even with very skilled players - despite all the effort of modders tweaking stats / ball physics they haven’t been able to achieve that in PES6 (imho).

This is probably the most important skill to master in modern football and surprisingly a 2006’s game understood it perfectly
do you press R2 when you receive a ball?

It finally worked with your file @Sany023 :TU:
Everything is like usual when i select French for langage.
Thanks a lot mate i don't know how did you found (or made) that file, usually i completely replace f > e_text transformation but i still don't understand why it didn't worked (there's no added text or something like that, well i won't try to found why / problem resolved) str files is like special character or special design for positions no?
Whatever, no importance now :D
maybe the patch creator changed the letters fonts?

I'm 40 and I had a friend over last night for a takeaway and then a couple of hours on pes 2021. At times, we were up off the sofa and storming around the room , top games. The usual fist pump after a close game. As he has really improved over the last few years , I don't play manual anymore...he was starting have more wins than me on versus mode lol...nothing matches on the sofa pes games even as a 40 year old. Got another friend coming over tonight. Funny how pes has helped me and my friends deal with grief/break ups and divorces over the years.

maybe the patch creator changed the letters fonts?
Only the graphics for postions, that's all, i didn't saw different letters fonts... Or i missed some very small things. Whatever.
I suppose that stuffs like OMF / DMF etc are in txt files or something like that, i thinked it was a sprite but it seems that it isn't.
I aint modder so

Hi, for me personally the PS2 version of 2008 is excellent. I got about 10 years out of PES5 until i eventually ‘discovered’ 2008. I havent looked back since. :)

It has a great AI that is tough for me and adapts to how you play. You play on the wings and eventually it will stop you, you play down the middle and it will stop you there too.

The AI attacking is very varied too.

Also there are fouls at a good balance. Sometimes you get a game with a few and other times there can be 8 or 9.

In ML the CPU also makes offers for your players which is pretty non existent in 5.

Having said all that, the vanilla version plays too fast me so i global reduce the speed stats of every player by 15 points.

I have an option file here:-

https://evoweb.uk/threads/gees-pes2008-ps2-psp-option-file-20-21.85549/

And I am currently working on the ISO file for a big update around December. :)

Back
Top Bottom