The Retro-PES Corner

Last edited:
Reactions: H_G
@BillyKong @Shales @vialli82 @H_G @EMILIANOGALLARDO guys i want to share my first version of my option file editor for j league games (will be also compatible with pes and we later) https://www.mediafire.com/file/f9ai...OF+Team+Editor+2006-2010_1.0_release.zip/file so far only works from jl we 10 until jl we 2010

Sorry if the tagging bothers you, just remember that you were those who wanted it so badly... there's a lot of stuff to be done, but right now we can do the next stuff

Edit players
- All stats, basic settings and some appearance settings
- Paste from PSD
Logos
- Import, Export and delete
Clubs
- Edit almost all options from a Club (Not Emblem yet)
Shop
- WE Points working? i guess i haven't tried on all games, unlock and lock functions needs some work to be done, so far only work properly on JL WE 10
Stadiums
- Change their name
Leagues
- Change their name

Not gonna jump into an update until i get some feedback from you, i dont think that this tool its perfect probably there are some errors, but i can't test them all, if you're testing it please provide the game version you're using, an screenshot of the error and some info that you think it will be useful, also please upload your option file so i can make test

IMPORTANT!!!
Always make a backup im not gonna make responsible for lost data on your option files

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/f9ai...OF+Team+Editor+2006-2010_1.0_release.zip/file

on futures updates there'll be more stuff added, transfer players, import emblems, improvements for the gui and some more stuff, but like i said before, i need to know that everything i did so far its working properly

Enjoy it

What a hero! Looking forward to testing this out in the coming week!

Today released a PES 3 (WE7) video from months ago. It's the first time in my videos that I started to use Cross command to score chip goals. Other than that, it's nothing special. Just a highlights video. IMO my PES 4 and PES 5 videos turned out to be better so if you are interested in, keep an eye out on that 👀

Is there an way to play PS2's Winning Eleven 9 widescreen? I didn't manage to find an widescreen patch for it.
I had WE9LE ROM and tried it on PCSX2 QT build, cheats and cheats_ws folders were empty but it automatically patched widescreen because I had Enable Widescreen Patches option on. If you don't want to install QT build, found widescreen patches for WE9LE NTSC-K here, for WE9 NTSC-J here. Couldn't find NTSC-U and PAL widescreen cheats, maybe they don't exist.

You can download WE9LE NTSC-K ROM here (you can find other variants here at "Most recommended ROMs for PES games") and WE9 NTSC-J ROM here.
WE9 (PES5) is also released on PC, why not using modded PC versions, you can find two of them here at "Most recommended patches for each PES game".

I've been playing some PES 6 on Original Season patch in between doing my France 98 COM sims, and god damn I forgot how inconsistent shooting is on this...
I tap :square:as all I want to do is place it low, hard and into the corner and 90% of the time, every shot is inexplicably ballooned over the bar.

Same with headers, almost go upwards and over as if the player is trying to hit them with the top of his head!

It's so odd that the shooting mechanics are so random & botched on this game, yet they function perfectly & satisfyingly on PES 5 & 2008 (PS2).

Anyone else share this opinion? Don't get me wrong, you can still score some corkers on 6 but I find the ball physics in general leave a lot to be desired on this game in comparison to the games that bookend this edition.

I've been playing some PES 6 on Original Season patch in between doing my France 98 COM sims, and god damn I forgot how inconsistent shooting is on this...
I tap :square:as all I want to do is place it low, hard and into the corner and 90% of the time, every shot is inexplicably ballooned over the bar.

Same with headers, almost go upwards and over as if the player is trying to hit them with the top of his head!

It's so odd that the shooting mechanics are so random & botched on this game, yet they function perfectly & satisfyingly on PES 5 & 2008 (PS2).

Anyone else share this opinion? Don't get me wrong, you can still score some corkers on 6 but I find the ball physics in general leave a lot to be desired on this game in comparison to the games that bookend this edition.

I'd say it's the PES I've played the most and I would say, apart obviously from the influence of the stat numbers of the player who is shooting, that it is very much a question of timing of the shot as well. If the player's off balance, facing wrong etc it really does punish the shot/header. That said there are some incredibly off target shots. Then again I've seen a player hit the outside top of the Fratton End stand ( 50+ foot up) with a shot from the edge of the area in real life so... :LOL:

That's the reason i never really liked PES6. Somehow they took decent ball physics from PES5 (it is even better in WE9LE) and completely butchered it. All the nice improvements together that PES6 has over 5 sadly cannot save it for me.

That's the reason i never really liked PES6. Somehow they took decent ball physics from PES5 (it is even better in WE9LE) and completely butchered it. All the nice improvements together that PES6 has over 5 sadly cannot save it for me.
They were clearly aware the fell short because if you play PES 2008 on PS2, You can see they returned to the previous physics of 5 and even improved it with additional calculations and player animations.

If only we got that version on PC instead of the half baked next gen version...

I had WE9LE ROM and tried it on PCSX2 QT build, cheats and cheats_ws folders were empty but it automatically patched widescreen because I had Enable Widescreen Patches option on. If you don't want to install QT build, found widescreen patches for WE9LE NTSC-K here, for WE9 NTSC-J here. Couldn't find NTSC-U and PAL widescreen cheats, maybe they don't exist.

You can download WE9LE NTSC-K ROM here (you can find other variants here at "Most recommended ROMs for PES games") and WE9 NTSC-J ROM here.
WE9 (PES5) is also released on PC, why not using modded PC versions, you can find two of them here at "Most recommended patches for each PES game".
Thank you, i wasn't managing to apply the patch with my translated WE9 Japanese iso, then i found out that i needed to change the filename to "39384732.pnach", and then it worked. The patch's filename needs to be the iso CRC, which you can get throught the pcsx2 emulog file. Apparently iso modifications change the CRC, so you need to change the file name accordingly. Hope this information helps someone else.

I know i could play on PC, but i'm currently tryng to make an patch utilising the texture replacement feature of emulators, so for now i'm focusing on console PES/WE.

Last edited:

Hey Marlon, been following your France 98 series, it's wonderful as usual -- but are you telling me these are COM vs COM sims only, and not you playing?! That's incredible because there's actually goals being scored...when I do a tournament, I pick all 32 teams usually and play the games I want, then leave the others to COM vs COM and if I'm lucky it's maybe 1-1, but usually 0-0 or 1-0. I'm usually using the Alex stat adjustments, so perhaps that factors in for AI-only games. That, and some other realism-bending feature like, hypothetically, Australia outpossessing Spain 60-40 on its way to a 1-0 win.

I'm waiting for the day FIFA takes down your videos, claiming a content violation, because they look so damn good and realistic.

I agree with you.
The pes 5 shooting system is freer and responds better to commands.
Too bad that the lobs and shots with square + r2 are not as elaborate as those of his successor, otherwise there would be no comparison in this respect.

Hey Marlon, been following your France 98 series, it's wonderful as usual -- but are you telling me these are COM vs COM sims only, and not you playing?! That's incredible because there's actually goals being scored...when I do a tournament, I pick all 32 teams usually and play the games I want, then leave the others to COM vs COM and if I'm lucky it's maybe 1-1, but usually 0-0 or 1-0. I'm usually using the Alex stat adjustments, so perhaps that factors in for AI-only games. That, and some other realism-bending feature like, hypothetically, Australia outpossessing Spain 60-40 on its way to a 1-0 win.

I'm waiting for the day FIFA takes down your videos, claiming a content violation, because they look so damn good and realistic.
Thanks for the kind words, Yeah it's COM v COM but... I had to cheat a little to give it some more spunk.

I used the OF editor to globally adjust the attack & teamwork stats to 99 for all players, then I put match length on 20and difficulty on Professional.

It was mentioned in this thread a few times in the past that these stats tend to encourage the COM releasing the ball sooner rather than dithering on the ball and losing possession and to shoot more which it never does on vanilla. The longer match length ensures the COM has more time to get shit done and I found that playing on professional and not Top Player stops the COM from being defending against each other too well and helps prevent stalemates.

Plus of course playing in cup/league/ML mode as always boosted the AI and seems to make it play more aggressivley as opposed to exhibition so I think that helps.

Thanks for the kind words, Yeah it's COM v COM but... I had to cheat a little to give it some more spunk.

I used the OF editor to globally adjust the attack & teamwork stats to 99 for all players, then I put match length on 20and difficulty on Professional.

It was mentioned in this thread a few times in the past that these stats tend to encourage the COM releasing the ball sooner rather than dithering on the ball and losing possession and to shoot more which it never does on vanilla. The longer match length ensures the COM has more time to get shit done and I found that playing on professional and not Top Player stops the COM from being defending against each other too well and helps prevent stalemates.

Plus of course playing in cup/league/ML mode as always boosted the AI and seems to make it play more aggressivley as opposed to exhibition so I think that helps.
Wow, this is some good info for me. I have recently being trying an lot of different PES and WE to see which offers the best COM vs COM match, and to my disappointment they are all kind of lame, with the best players just losing the ball and doing wrong passes all the time. The less worse one was WE8LE.

My purpose with this is so that i can finally find the best game to make my Captain Tsubasa patch, but it would be no fun if AI's players couldn't do some beautiful attacking plays.

I was only testing in exhibition mode and on the higher difficulty, so maybe that's why it's been so lame. Any other tips you have about COM vs COM would be appreciated.

Wow, this is some good info for me. I have recently being trying an lot of different PES and WE to see which offers the best COM vs COM match, and to my disappointment they are all kind of lame, with the best players just losing the ball and doing wrong passes all the time. The less worse one was WE8LE.

My purpose with this is so that i can finally find the best game to make my Captain Tsubasa patch, but it would be no fun if AI's players couldn't do some beautiful attacking plays.

I was only testing in exhibition mode and on the higher difficulty, so maybe that's why it's been so lame. Any other tips you have about COM vs COM would be appreciated.
The only other tip I know of for exhibition would be to set the condition to Red for both teams to ensure the best conditions for everyone and that there's absolutely no sluggishness for any out of form players or Konami curses emerging for anyone.

It also depends how much of your life your willing to sacrifice too. Playing on a 30 minute match also ensures even more time and notice for the COM to get their bloody act together, but even 20 minutes for me and all the punishing video editing and condensing I have to do makes me consider just giving up and smoking crack instead but...

When it works, it's just as if not more exciting to watch then an actual match and seeing the COM do things you had no idea it'd be capable of is pretty damn rewarding!

The only other tip I know of for exhibition would be to set the condition to Red for both teams to ensure the best conditions for everyone and that there's absolutely no sluggishness for any out of form players or Konami curses emerging for anyone.

It also depends how much of your life your willing to sacrifice too. Playing on a 30 minute match also ensures even more time and notice for the COM to get their bloody act together, but even 20 minutes for me and all the punishing video editing and condensing I have to do makes me consider just giving up and smoking crack instead but...

When it works, it's just as if not more exciting to watch then an actual match and seeing the COM do things you had no idea it'd be capable of is pretty damn rewarding!
I've tried the conditions thing, actually i've tried giving upwards arrow for the home team and donwards for the away in hopes to see the home team dominate, but it actually didn't change much and to be honest the away team played better in those matches :BLINK:

I agree, matches are usually boring, but those small moments of AI's brilliance is really fun to see, just trying to find the game with the most of those small moments.

It was an "art" to shoot with the intended position i remember very well, even on PES 6 : we created a Belgian League so you can imagine how low where the stats. Well with 8 years of ISS Pro + PES behind us, the mecanichs were like all natural for us even with the change of engine in PES 3 (more rigid than WE6-PES2 series btw but better overall), so we easily found our marks at every version.

And yes it was more frequent than in others version (you can even take PES 1-2-3-4) but there's one thing that remains on every games:
It was about footstep, Running with the ball > ball less high, sometimes a player completely miss his shoot when you try it with you player completely "stopped" vs the ball. The issue with PES 6 is that stuffs wasn't that well calibrated.

So the ball kinda left him as when you stop on certain situation : the ball roll > so the distance between foot and ball is broken > Result the shoot even with good stats in shooting overall will be completely like an home run... I kinda liked those stuffs.
The ball physics was a bit too advanced for the players physics and directions yes.

There's many stuffs like that in PES 6, we can say it's a miscalculations. Rectified on JL2007 (if only we could import gameplay from those version to PC...)
PCSX2 may gives some slowdown or polygon hair disappearing on certain versions : but especially i don't know why on PES 1, 2, 5 and 6. Don't remember for PES 3/4, not a fan of those two > prefers WE7I and WE8LE (that one by far)

About PES 2008 and PES 2014. That' the two i got less or practically no 10 second hair-loss and slowdown with no reason like more player on the pitch, i checked everywhere and it's not a matter of performance but game conception. Those 2 were, well seems perhaps more optimised and fluid.

Now, i don't play PES 6, not that i don't like it. Love the ambiance, even like the mix of Action-football a bit more offensive oriented and harder to defend, the rosters from that season etc. but there's better in terms of gameplay with JL2007cc, J-League 1 and 2 instead of NT i can tolerate it as i found the game hypnotising.

Last edited:
I play on original PS2 for info, with some stuff that brings CRT image on an HDTV (mix of a cheap upscaler and a Scanlines Generetor you can found everywhere on Amazon) For me, it's graphically the paradise : less aliasing on nets, cutscenes, small stuffs and Stadiums as the scanlines "cut" it etc.
... But too much connexion. Also only 480p compatible : fortunately, on YUV, PES 1 and 2 got big wire on their nets, and i don't know but no need any anti-aliasing at a certain distances

But i suggest to buy a Retrothink 2X PRO (5X PRO is VERY expensive, but the quality is exceptionnal), there's tons of filters and less connectivity, it support YUV (Component) entries.
The issue as i wanted one not a long time ago : it's HARD to found one, and around 120 euros... + the delivery, taxes etc.
That's what you need if you want something resembling to a CRT TV and you don't have any place... Or a pretty small CRT TV better with YUV entries on it for 60hz.

After some thinkin again and again : think i will found a place in my house for a CRT TV with YUV on it. My biggest isssue : i can't play any more on a small TV. I need something big, 4/3, as i'm used to it. I don't intend to buy one as i ain't rich, but the super CRT TV for retrogaming, ultra expensive (SONY PMV serie L) is too small for me. A Trinitron with YUV, even if it's 50 kg for real, and i'm okay.

Sad that retrogaming came back since 2010 and more and more people playing on it, and i don't see any new re-created CRT TV for playing on it. They makes tons of mini-consoles, but no TV to goes with. I'm pretty sure a not that much expensive CRT TV would make the effect of a bomb, and will be sold by millions.

I am nearly done with the JLWE2007CC patch. The full English translation is now complete and I have managed to import all the emblems for the unlicensed teams and competition logos as well. I also added a new scoreboard, balls and have added adboards too. Now I’m just going to try and import some new turf but if I can’t get that to work then I will release it anyway. Should hopefully be done this week. :)

Back
Top Bottom