UFL [All Platforms]

UFL? Cute! Graphics from Fifa16. Waiting for a complete match gameplay trailer.
Dude no, FIFA 16 with a good Monitor/TV and right settings looks pretty good, even for today.
What I saw with UFL was like... PES 2012 grass or something around that time
And I don't think that was even grass, like @The_Knight said , it was pretty much a carpet with 0 texture and it didn't look like a grass at all

Looks closer to Dream League Soccer tbh

To me, it shows a little bit of ignorance coming up with something "binary" lile this after these intense marketing activities. I wonder why the shitstorm is very moderate.

It might be a young dev team, but that doesn't excuse to stuff the market with another low level clone. What about innovation, what about new philosophies?
Main worrying thing is seem to be no incentive to produce an offline game since Goals will be the same game as this.

Very short analysis and opinion. Awesome UI / Scoreboard/ Menus are great and modern. Minimalist but detailed enough to please the eye.

Personally, I can't even open eFootball from the brutally amateur and ugly design of the game, and it seems that Konami will stay with this vision, even though NO ONE likes it.

Regarding the graphics. I see why people don't like it and why I think it doesn't look like a next gen title, even if it looks like a PS3 game.

I think some of the textures are OK, with good resolution, the problem may be in the lights, shadows and the lack of detail in most scenes. The same problem as in eFootball and the fact that the kits, the shirts part looks like plasticine / wax, there is no physics or something resembling fabric / clothing.
And yes, even a little gameplay shows that most moves and animations don't look very natural, and these may be well-chosen situations and scenes where they want to make sure they look their best ... but the fact that it's all 30 fps, not 60 fps, half of the frames of the animations are missing, this definitely hurts them a lot.

Last edited:
Dude no, FIFA 16 with a good Monitor/TV and right settings looks pretty good, even for today.
What I saw with UFL was like... PES 2012 grass or something around that time
And I don't think that was even grass, like @The_Knight said , it was pretty much a carpet with 0 texture and it didn't look like a grass at all

Looks closer to Dream League Soccer tbh
I mean vanilla Fifa16 from 2015 on a 1024x1280. ;)

Very short analysis and opinion. Awesome UI / Scoreboard/ Menus are great and modern. Minimalist but detailed enough to please the eye.

Personally, I can't even open eFootball from the brutally amateur and ugly design of the game, and it seems that Konami will stay with this vision, even though NO ONE likes it.

Regarding the graphics. I see why people don't like it and why I think it doesn't look like a next gen title, even if it looks like a PS3 game.

I think some of the textures are OK, with good resolution, the problem may be in the lights, shadows and the lack of detail in most scenes. The same problem as in eFootball and the fact that the kits, the shirts part looks like plasticine / wax, there is no physics or something resembling fabric / clothing.
And yes, even a little gameplay shows that most moves and animations don't look very natural, and these may be well-chosen situations and scenes where they want to make sure they look their best ... but the fact that it's all 30 fps, not 60 fps, half of the frames of the animations are missing, this definitely hurts them a lot.
Call it FIFA and nobody will notice.

when you making new game of football games that have 2 big companies you can't beet fifa on there game .
But on the other hand konami almost dead , you have chance there to take there Fans .

There is no logic in the world .

In the end we can agree that this thing will be released with the only predatory purpose in mind to milk on those with gambling addiction, eventually with some NFTs as a plus who knows. During the last five years of "development" of this "quiet company" (taking in count just the footage) they are doing a significantly poor job than EA and Konami who are releasing seasonal products. They didn't showed the monetization scheme, that would be probable top notch implemented, cared and functionable because all their effort and focus will be centered there. Nowadays in sports games single player almost doesn't exist or out of content, and multiplayer is a mobile travesty made to manipulate users to be there and use the coins shop button. This should be strictly regulated.

eventually with some NFTs as a plus who knows.
Bingo, this is my biggest fear. We know that's the aim with GOALS already – if that game ever comes to pass.
They didn't showed the monetization scheme, that would be probable top notch implemented, cared and functionable because all their effort and focus will be centered there.
This is it. This is why, at least in my case, it's worth playfully flinging a little shit at the game. Call it a precautionary pre-emptive shit sling.

From the get-go they advertised this as free to play and "Fair to play". How will it make money? There must have been significant investment to get this going, considering they have big-name ambassadors – indeed, the biggest in Ronaldo. They already have some big partner clubs too. They wouldn't be able to show these players (/their agents/managers/PR teams) a track record of sales, ditto with the clubs. All they could show is forecasted revenue and a very competitive heap of cash.

Same to the investors – they could only show them forecasted profits based on a very particular revenue model. And pray tell, what would that be? The mobile market is the one which guarantees insane profits, so I expect they're turning their gaze that way for inspiration. If there aren't lootboxes in this game, it will be expensive battle passes, levelgating with MTX required to get over the heap or to get XP boosters, and a shit-ton of cosmetics for sale – driven by inducing FOMO in children and adults who have compulsive spending problems (whales, in the industry parlance).

From conception, then, this is a product that has exploitation at its core. That is not particularly unique in the industry, but its having brothers-in-arms is no exculpatory factor. So that's why I am slinging some precursory shit their way, frankly. Much as I (and others) did the moment Konami announced a F2P model, and much as we all have over the lootboxes in football games in general.

A note on "fair to play" – The frequent allusion to fairness is obviously there to bring over FUT kids who moan about scripting all day as though it was a deep injustice in the world. In the trailer event itself, the presenter/CEO even explicitly mentions no handicapping etc. I know I disagree with many on EvoWeb and across the football gaming world about the presence of scripting in games, or what it actually means. But putting all that to the side, I think the very mention of it here is not to be taken as a good sign, but as a promotional tool for Strikerz Inc. They want to market their game as the quintessence of pure competition: no handicapping, all skill gap, git gud. That, I'm afraid, is as much an inadvertent signal about the quality of the gameplay and the lack of attention to AI. The bar gets lower the more they mention this stuff.

A note on "fair to play" – The frequent allusion to fairness is obviously there to bring over FUT kids who moan about scripting all day as though it was a deep injustice in the world. In the trailer event itself, the presenter/CEO even explicitly mentions no handicapping etc. I know I disagree with many on EvoWeb and across the football gaming world about the presence of scripting in games, or what it actually means. But putting all that to the side, I think the very mention of it here is not to be taken as a good sign, but as a promotional tool for Strikerz Inc. They want to market their game as the quintessence of pure competition: no handicapping, all skill gap, git gud. That, I'm afraid, is as much an inadvertent signal about the quality of the gameplay and the lack of attention to AI. The bar gets lower the more they mention this stuff.
i was with u until the last paragraph talking about scripting

if games were like pes 2013ish and without scripting everybody would still gladly play

No need to panic, guys. We can still use my idea, buy Seabass out of Konami and Crowdfund a new game. Although my initial idea was probably to kidnap him, so you can see I workshopped this
Breaking news+++ the world class developer Seabass transfered to FC evoweb+++

I'm dreaming... 😄

i was with u until the last paragraph talking about scripting
Well, that is indeed why I wrote this as a caveat:
I know I disagree with many on EvoWeb and across the football gaming world about the presence of scripting in games, or what it actually means.
But my point doesn't rely on us agreeing that scripting exists in football games, or on what we count as scripting.

My point was only about what I think UFL want to broadcast by advertising themselves as scripting-free. Feel free to disagree with that point if you like; that's the only relevant point of disagreement though.

In short: I think they are desperately appealing to the FUT-only, online "skill gap" crowd who put all their losses and misfortune down to nefarious scripting. They are signalling who they want to appeal to in advertising themselves as script-free.

Funny fact: it won't mean a thing though – if they get a popular game with a decent player-base, give it 6months before people complain about scripting again, whether it's in the game or not.

Main problem with todays football games is that they are being developed arseways.
It used to be a complete product. Two teams - AI, algorithms, scenarios, animations.
Users were... drivers, jumping into a fully made, working machine.
Now they are building these machines starting from the drivers and work around them.
Animations are made purely for user input and whole gameplay is made with User Vs User in mind. AI is afterthought. The main thing that should drive the experience, create unexpected scenarios and differentiate matches based on what players you have on your team - is gone.
Football games used to be immersive coz you were just one cog of the "living" machine. Now you are a machine. Its you and 10 brainless clones. And every match looks the same.
Offline mode should not be an afterthought, a DLC that they MIGHT release in the future. Offline mode should be what foofball game is built on.
It should already be there, fully developed, fully functional.
Its online that should be something extra.
Until this changes - we will NEVER get an immersive football game again.
Ironically - online crowd does not seems to realise that their experience also depends on AI. Without good Offline there wont be a good Online.
Because football is not tennis. It takes 11 to change the lightbulb.

I just read a bunch of pages of this thread and yours is the comment I found most interesting.
Which football videogame would you say captures that living machine feeling the most? We're so far from such a game that I can't honestly pinpoint the game that achieved that feeling and suddenly it sparked my interest to analyze it from a gameplay POV.

On another note, I often daydream about developing a football game that ticks all the - now neglected - boxes, I went as far as working on a UE4 project for some weeks and eventually hit a knowledge wall. Then I began wondering how would I approach passing, the concept of having possession of the ball, animation trees and their transitions, tackling, goalkeeper behavior (all of this from a software development standpoint) and not only I'm inexperienced in most them topics but it's also overwhelmingly complicated.

But then I think about the software group projects I've worked on at college, how sometimes an idea can be much clearer for a classmate, then I think about pieces of software I've used that are built and worked on by its communities, and it hit me. Has any of you ever wondered about an open source football game? One that is built on little by little, that probably would take years to see the light of day, but then again if successful on developing its bases it could forever be worked on and driven by what its community's vision and desires.

An utopic idea indeed, but at the very least I'd say its not impossible, its just much more difficult than the consumer imagines, having a go at solo game dev is a humbling experience. You look at the accessibility to technology today - game engines, modelling software, audio & video editing software - and you look at the state of a proper modded PES 21 game, I can't help but picture a football game that acknowledges and encourages modding.

just read a bunch of pages of this thread and yours is the comment I found most interesting.
Which football videogame would you say captures that living machine feeling the most?
First of all - thank you for kind words and very interesting reply.
When I think about football games that somewhat delivered this immersion and a feeling of teams being "living machines" - I think about all the early PES games, up to around PES 5/6, with them being a pinnacle.
They were all crafted with passion and love and developers stuck to their vision.
All the best AI players had this long forgotten individuality. They behaved like their real life counterparts.
R.Carlos would dash down the wing and shoot from distance, Zidane was a real threat, with laser passes, incredible shots, dribblers would dance through your defense. It was almost like every player was crafted individually, from scratch.
I dont know much about coding or game developing in general, but I presume there was some background decision making algorithm, that would decide how often certain players would attempt to shoot/dribble/run/tackle.. and these were adjusted individually, same as stats.
Speaking of stats - this is another thing that made these games special.. stats really mattered. There was a huge difference between players and it was clearly visible. The grind to score your first goal with default ML players was a very rewarding... torture.😂
In the winter transfer window you might have saved enough "money" to buy one player. And you could affort only 3 players that would be slightly better than your starting 11. But you had to make choices. Will you go for player A, who is fast but cant shoot to save his life, or B who has decent shots, but is slow as fuck. Or maybe guy C, who was average on both, but was tall and physically strong. Everything mattered.
Now we have army of copy/paste clones.

So even if you played a match - your AI team mates would still behave like they did playing against them. You felt like its a living team and you are part of it.

Its not nostalgia. There's a reason why people still mod and play these games. They had something that was lost long ago. They had proper AI and stats that mattered.

Sometimes I feel like online crowd does not even realise that they dont need less AI, but more. Because if we had proper AI, with some players making runs, some being more defensive, some being aggressive - it would all balance itself out and provided great experience.
Now developers are adjusting the whole thing. They are adjusting whole defensive line, all midfield, all runs. Its either a wall in front of goal, or no one there. Either all team pressing, or no one. It will never work this way. And they will always be unhappy.

I love the idea of open source game developed by some passionate crowd who understands how football works.
And I wish I see the day when game like this is out.

Until then, for my own mental health - I walked away from football games and I dont regret it.

First of all - thank you for kind words and very interesting reply.
When I think about football games that somewhat delivered this immersion and a feeling of teams being "living machines" - I think about all the early PES games, up to around PES 5/6, with them being a pinnacle.
They were all crafted with passion and love and developers stuck to their vision.
. . .

Thanks for taking the time to explain that extensively, I have played football games since I was 5 but for the largest part of it I sided with FIFA. The way you describe the early PES/WE games is something I heard about - from second hand opinions - my whole life but never really experienced due to my past bias. I must admit even if I loved the switch to PES in the past years and the modding experience as a whole, I have burnt myself out multiple times due to frustration with the gameplay.

I most definitely will dedicate some time in the future to properly try PES 5 & 6, you're spot on about the modding community still being alive, I have found active PES 6 modders in every PES forum/social network/chat that I've been at.

I often compare my lack of fulfilment regarding football games to my lack of fulfilment in the past with pro wrestling games, we simply are stuck with little to no options to choose if we want something new. I haven't played wrestling games for years but I do have noticed in the recent years many proper indie projects have arisen and taking shape. My point is I hope in the future football gaming finds itself in a similar situation.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that extensively, I have played football games since I was 5 but for the largest part of it I sided with FIFA. The way you describe the early PES/WE games is something I heard about - from second hand opinions - my whole life but never really experienced due to my past bias. I must admit even if I loved the switch to PES in the past years and the modding experience as a whole, I have burnt myself out multiple times due to frustration with the gameplay.

I most definitely will dedicate some time in the future to properly try PES 5 & 6, you're spot on about the modding community still being alive, I have found active PES 6 modders in every PES forum/social network/chat that I've been at.

I often compare my lack of fulfilment regarding football games to my lack of fulfilment in the past with pro wrestling games, we simply are stuck with little to no options to choose if we want something new. I haven't played wrestling games for years but I do have noticed in the recent years many proper indie projects have arisen and taking shape. My point is I hope in the future football gaming finds itself in a similar situation.
there is one open source game from the ps2 era

Hard to build a football game isn't?

Those guys are probably a bit young, and needed to revise the classics, what's maked a football games great.
There's a life before FUT, but the game seems to have that mode + Fifa (even at his worst) as a standard, a reference.

Completely forgot about this... any updates after that "trailer"?
And what happened to that GOALS game?

I saw on their Twitter that they're 2-3 years from a release
Like seriously? 2-3 years for that basic thing we saw in the trailer? I understand the scarcity of football games around but, even considering this, how can a similar project hope to mantain any hype or interest in this absurdly long run is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom