V / Paulv2k4 FIFA 23 Mods | Gameplay | Career

Ok, so you would say just let FIFA update then? Not try to stay on the last version?
And then just use whichever of Paul's mods I like?
No, I’d not. …I can’t… Sorry. I’m just lucky it runs… I have no clue and don’t wanna give false or lacking info.
it’s the way I did it though. 🤷‍♂️😊

Last edited:
Not yet no. There will always be a problem where it wont be 100% compatible too and likely crash. Multiple game compatibility will require a new compiled file format and launch method, as every game is different. Right now im focusing on just project agnostic stuff. So i quickly shift between games and release more easily.
Thanks for the reply. And yes, I get it. I'm very much curious/exhausted of the fact that I couldn't play FIFA 23 due to my PC specs, so that, I have to stick with other games like FIFA 22 or 16. That is why I asked this once I noticed your changelog of FMT. Good luck for the project. 👍

Hello.... is it true? Does AI fouling much more in Career mod? :-) Thank for the feedback. I want to feel if I play against MU with Keane, that Keano really wants to break my legs in a derby match. :))

No, I’d not. …I can’t… Sorry. I’m just lucky it runs… I have no clue and don’t wanna give false or lacking info.
it’s the way I did it though. 🤷‍♂️😊
Ok. Understood :)
I completely updated the EA App and FIFA. It looks like now I'm having the same mod loading problems again but I don't think I have the energy to REINSTALL again to a different folder.

Last edited:
Hey guys was wondering if this mod was able to work side by side with mods in the fifa editor, I know the mod doesn’t use the FET so I was wondering if it’s still okay to use or will it affect files on the FET mods

Hello.... is it true? Does AI fouling much more in Career mod? :-) Thank for the feedback. I want to feel if I play against MU with Keane, that Keano really wants to break my legs in a derby match. :))
Gameplay mod, yes

Hey guys was wondering if this mod was able to work side by side with mods in the fifa editor, I know the mod doesn’t use the FET so I was wondering if it’s still okay to use or will it affect files on the FET mods
Not sure I understand what you mean.

I use FMT to mod the game, and the mods are made for FMT. FMT doesn't work side by side with FET. FMT can launch FET (*.fifamod) mods though.
Hi Paul. Thanks for GP mod v3 final. I appreciate all your efforts for the community

I play World Class, 5 min halves, Default Pace, FUMA for everything (except Cross Assistance to Semi), Kick off mode
I played 10 matches with various 5, 3.5 and 2.5 star teams (with or against).

Here is my personal opinion about it:

Plus side:
- CPU crosses and shoots from out the box a LOT more than vanilla gameplay (also more than you can achieve with sliders and I have tried a lot of people - combinations as well as my personal experimentation)
- More variety with CPU attacks
- User defenders (and CPU) cover defense much better than vanilla
- General pace is nice
- No bugs or weird behavior

Not plus:
- I personally feel player movement, sprint and general reaction still needs a bit of reduction, still too frantic on the ball or off the ball, user or CPU (more prominent in Women teams)
- Passes are too fast
- Passes and shots are too accurate still
- First touch needs more reduction
- Headers are overpowered and unrealistic (vanilla issues), especially from goal kicks toward the center players
- Gameplay is still too end to end than a realistic football match, I think this is due to teams are scattered all over the pitch, giving the CPU easier choices for long balls directly toward attackers or spamming fast through balls to score fast goals, something sliders can mitigate to a point with higher defense line and shorter team length)

Overall it is fun to play with. And definitely a keeper for me.
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you are enjoying it :)

Your notes say to me that your game is somehow applying the live tuning on top? As pass speed and accuracy is massively changed in live tuning.

Gameplay mod, yes

Not sure I understand what you mean.

I use FMT to mod the game, and the mods are made for FMT. FMT doesn't work side by side with FET. FMT can launch FET (*.fifamod) mods though.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you are enjoying it :)

Your notes say to me that your game is somehow applying the live tuning on top? As pass speed and accuracy is massively changed in live tuning.
That’s the ingame updates I do block via windows firewall, yeah?! I just want to be sure what I read here. 😊

How can I be sure that the mod is loaded correctly?
When you launch the game via FMT, the FIFA splash screen should come up!
On that splash screen, the modded version will show you a root sign before the FIFA slogan!

BB430336-54E0-4DD9-A284-909647CF4CCE.png

me stupid, I haven’t yet taken a simple screenshot of how it’s supposed to look. This would be helpful for others in the future I guess. 😊

Quando avvii il gioco tramite FMT, dovrebbe apparire la schermata iniziale di FIFA!
Su quella schermata iniziale, la versione modificata ti mostrerà un segno di radice prima dello slogan FIFA!

View attachment 205093

io stupido, non ho ancora preso un semplice screenshot di come dovrebbe apparire. Questo sarebbe utile per gli altri in futuro immagino. 😊
ok thanks, as I feared, the mod won't load me this time too, °§°çéç*à#### F.......k

You're not alone. I can't get it to load again either.
I really would like to see all us enjoying this.

I can’t think of any additional info that could be useful though…

Should we meet in some voice chat and discuss this step by step the coming weekend!? Mass info chat rumble anyone!? 🤷‍♂️
and if we get it done, we note all the steps and send them to Paul so he can put it in the op!?

edit: for a start, here we go...

fifa_splash.jpg

the modded fifa spash screen! you really do want that! trust me! you want that coming up... ,bad! ;)

edit2:
what i use:
win10 prof
FIFA23 fully steam updated, installed in my standard steam games location
FMT v23.20 Pre Release
Pauls mod v3a5
FIFA23 blocked via windows firewall

block FIFA23 (i did for in and outbound) in windows 10
fire.png

FMT started. click "launch game"
FMT 01.png

FMT while launching the modded fifa via ea desktop app
FMT.png

Last edited:
for the feedback. Glad you are enjoying it :)

So at the side selection screen I should press the yellow key (Y on Xbox controller)?
Any other thing to get the true potential of your GP mod?
Thanks

So at the side selection screen I should press the yellow key (Y on Xbox controller)?
Any other thing to get the true potential of your GP mod?
Thanks
No. Read the first post.

IMPORTANT! Please BLOCK FIFA 23 with your Windows Firewall to disable "Live Tuning" updates and use the following settings to enjoy this mod to the fullest!
Sliders: Leave ALL Sliders Default!
Difficulty: World Class or Legendary
Competitor Mode: Off
Player Based Difficulty: On
Attributes: Classic
Referee Strictness: Lenient
Controller Settings: I personally play on Assisted but heavily nerf the amount of assist in this mod

Oh perfect thanks Paul yeah that’s what I meant to ask, because I have some mods running that are .fifamod so I’ll give it a go today with your gameplay mod, thanks for the response mate!

Should we meet in some voice chat and discuss this step by step the coming weekend!?
Honestly, I think that would work if there were for some reason instructions that weren't being followed properly or incredibly complex installation steps. But this couldn't be easier. I think the problem is more likely something to do with the way our FIFA installs choose to work with FMT. FMT works. FIFA runs. So something that FIFA does on some of our systems prevents FMT from communicating properly with the FIFA install. How or why that is happening I have no idea. Is there a log we can analyse or something? Perhaps just a step by step created for someone that is on a system that has no EA App, no FIFA, no FMT for exactly what has to happen in what order. Maybe there's some silly little thing those of us having problems are all doing.

Hey guys is it possible to get the faces from Fifers mods to work with FMT? If so any chance someone could outline a way to apply them etc

Honestly, I think that would work if there were for some reason instructions that weren't being followed properly or incredibly complex installation steps. But this couldn't be easier. I think the problem is more likely something to do with the way our FIFA installs choose to work with FMT. FMT works. FIFA runs. So something that FIFA does on some of our systems prevents FMT from communicating properly with the FIFA install. How or why that is happening I have no idea. Is there a log we can analyse or something? Perhaps just a step by step created for someone that is on a system that has no EA App, no FIFA, no FMT for exactly what has to happen in what order. Maybe there's some silly little thing those of us having problems are all doing.
The steps are super basic. Not more than 6 I guess… 🤷‍♂️
in the end it will probably be down to some users individual windows or program settings.

In simple terms FMT does the following steps:
  • When clicking on the Icon of "FIFA 23", it attempts to discover the Registry Key for the installation. Found here 1677656303097.png1677656808748.png
  • With that, it will initialise the game profile (in this case FIFA 23) against this Installation
  • After adding some mods and clicking launch, it will copy and paste Data and Patch to ModData/Data and ModData/Patch
    • # This COULD be a point of failure. - If we are working out of the wrong FIFA 23 installation, then we could be copying this somewhere else
  • Using ModData/Data and ModData/Patch discover what the mods want to change. This is done via Bundle Numbering in TOC Files (this knows how to match mods with files in your game) since recent (23.15? I'd have to check) FMT updates, where as before it used to use the FIFA23.Cache to know. # This COULD be a point of failure - I am not aware of patches changing these numbers as they are essentially hash of names of bundles, which havent changed for years
  • Once complete, it will apply the mod data to the CAS (essentially big 1gb data files) files (using the previous step to know which cas files to use) and provide itself a new position of the new data. # This COULD be a point of failure - Bad TOCs = Bad Knowledge of Data Positioning
  • It will then use this new positional data to apply the changes to TOC (so these files know where to look etc)
  • IF EA Desktop
    • Close down EA Desktop
    • Read the EA Desktop configuration file (found in C:\Users\{Current USER of Windows}\AppData\Local\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop) and apply -dataPath ModData to it for that game # This COULD be a point of failure - If your PC is not using the same configuration for whatever reason, then this step is manual via the EA App, it should however ERROR if it cant find it
    • Run game (automatically opening EA Desktop)
    • Enjoy mods
  • IF Origin (which I think we have all been shifted off)
    • Launch game EXE (discovered via Registry above) with parameters

EDIT: Forgot to add. Check your Environment Variables havent completely messed up. I've been told Environment Variables can cause all kinds of issues with Frostbite! If you see any "dataPath" or "GAME_DATA_DIR" in there, remove them.

Last edited:
  • When clicking on the Icon of "FIFA 23", it attempts to discover the Registry Key for the installation. Found here View attachment 205233View attachment 205234
  • With that, it will initialise the game profile (in this case FIFA 23) against this Installation
  • After adding some mods and clicking launch, it will copy and paste Data and Patch to ModData/Data and ModData/Patch
    • # This COULD be a point of failure. - If we are working out of the wrong FIFA 23 installation, then we could be copying this somewhere else
  • Using ModData/Data and ModData/Patch discover what the mods want to change. This is done via Bundle Numbering in TOC Files (this knows how to match mods with files in your game) since recent (23.15? I'd have to check) FMT updates, where as before it used to use the FIFA23.Cache to know. # This COULD be a point of failure - I am not aware of patches changing these numbers as they are essentially hash of names of bundles, which havent changed for years
  • Once complete, it will apply the mod data to the CAS (essentially big 1gb data files) files (using the previous step to know which cas files to use) and provide itself a new position of the new data. # This COULD be a point of failure - Bad TOCs = Bad Knowledge of Data Positioning
  • It will then use this new positional data to apply the changes to TOC (so these files know where to look etc)
  • IF EA Desktop
    • Close down EA Desktop
    • Read the EA Desktop configuration file (found in C:\Users\{Current USER of Windows}\AppData\Local\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop) and apply -dataPath ModData to it for that game # This COULD be a point of failure - If your PC is not using the same configuration for whatever reason, then this step is manual via the EA App, it should however ERROR if it cant find it
    • Run game (automatically opening EA Desktop)
    • Enjoy mods
  • IF Origin (which I think we have all been shifted off)
    • Launch game EXE (discovered via Registry above) with parameters

EDIT: ho dimenticato di aggiungere. Controlla che le tue variabili d'ambiente non siano completamente incasinate. Mi è stato detto che le variabili d'ambiente possono causare tutti i tipi di problemi con Frostbite! Se vedi "dataPath" o "GAME_DATA_DIR" lì dentro, rimuovili.
Thanks Paul. I'm checking today. If it can be useful to understand what doesn't work, I'll describe my experience.
1) everything worked fine up to FMT 23.15 then nothing
2) with FMT23.18 it loaded correctly, only twice, but after Paul fixed the mod it didn't work again and so it has been until now despite the various updates.
One last thing: the modded fifa spash screen doesn't appear the gameplay mod doesn't work but the .fifamod mods, loaded at the same time, do.
Thank you all for your patience and collaboration

Well this was all extremely helpful to help understand the process. And super interesting! Despite all the trouble I've had running the mod I have always loved the way all this software stuff works in game mods. The file replacement and the modification of ini files, I could play with ini files and graphics files all day.
Sadly, there isn't anything in that process that my game isn't doing. Meaning, my experience getting the mod installed ticks all those boxes so I don't see anything in particular that I'm doing wrong or incorrectly or that would indicate my game is not set up right.
I could, I suppose, wipe everything... again. And start everything... again. But this will be the 4th time I abandon a season because of the mod no longer working and I'm honestly starting to grow tired of the whole process. I get limited time to play as is, and if I sit down with FIFA I can waste 30-40 minutes of testing and failing to the point where I don't really have any time left to play so I've taken more lately to just choosing a different sport (I have an NBA and NHL season going on as well).
I suppose at this point if there was a clear and not too time consuming way to try that would definitively get things running properly I would try it. Maybe through a TeamViewer session or something? But even once it's working, it has always then gotten to a point where it no longer works. So I don't even know how long it would last for.... so frustrating.

Well this was all extremely helpful to help understand the process. And super interesting! Despite all the trouble I've had running the mod I have always loved the way all this software stuff works in game mods. The file replacement and the modification of ini files, I could play with ini files and graphics files all day.
Sadly, there isn't anything in that process that my game isn't doing. Meaning, my experience getting the mod installed ticks all those boxes so I don't see anything in particular that I'm doing wrong or incorrectly or that would indicate my game is not set up right.
I could, I suppose, wipe everything... again. And start everything... again. But this will be the 4th time I abandon a season because of the mod no longer working and I'm honestly starting to grow tired of the whole process. I get limited time to play as is, and if I sit down with FIFA I can waste 30-40 minutes of testing and failing to the point where I don't really have any time left to play so I've taken more lately to just choosing a different sport (I have an NBA and NHL season going on as well).
I suppose at this point if there was a clear and not too time consuming way to try that would definitively get things running properly I would try it. Maybe through a TeamViewer session or something? But even once it's working, it has always then gotten to a point where it no longer works. So I don't even know how long it would last for.... so frustrating.
It seems like exactly the same problem Jay (if you remember Jay) was having about 12-18 months ago with FIFA 21. It started after a random Windows Update. He reinstalled well over 20 times to try and fix it and it just wouldn't work, on FET or FMT. It did however, eventually, magically work one day and worked since.

Yet despite all of this, many others and I don't have any issues at all. Like we are all using different copies of the game OR our PCs are doing things I/FET team are not aware of. At the end of the day, both software are at the beckon call of what C# .NET does under the bonnet for reading stuff and handling memory. (unless we go crazy and write stuff raw ourselves)

The very fact that @danilik has pointed out that some *.fifamod files are working when the *.fbmod isn't says to me that its the two mod loading sequences are causing an issue. Which is right in the middle of the whole sequence I provided.

Problem is that for me, how the heck do I debug something I have never had an issue with? Maybe put many more checks in when loading the files and log everything? Then that just adds additional pressures on someone like you to test it every time I make a release (this wound Jay up quite a bit and he just didnt want to do it again for FIFA 22 and 23).

As it seems you are at your end of your nerve with this and dont have the time. I'd recommend stepping away for a while, play your other sports games, until you're bored and what to come back.

Y'all may have noticed I am much less interested in doing this these days. FMT / my mods are much less popular than they ever were so I just put less and less time into them, other than for my enjoyment. So I don't really want to go diving in to too much code either, to be fair.

"Y'all may have noticed I am much less interested in doing this these days. FMT / my mods are much less popular than they ever were so I just put less and less time into them, other than for my enjoyment. So I don't really want to go diving in to too much code either, to be fair"

this, I'm sincerely sorry, until I was able to play with your mod it was, for me, the best virtual football experience ever played, a total pleasure

I'd recommend stepping away for a while, play your other sports games, until you're bored and what to come back.
Thanks, Paul. And Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus.
I think you may be right. I'm going to do just that for a while. FIFA will draw me back whenever it draws me back. Right now I'm primarily motivated to get it to work just to get it to work, not even out off some deep desire to play it. Yes, of course I remember Jay. Didn't know he had had problems though. Both of you helped me a great deal over on discord.

I may even just put up with it out of the box for a while and completely attack everything with sliders (althought I know that offers very little hope). Thanks again for everything as always.

Thanks, Paul. And Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus.
I think you may be right. I'm going to do just that for a while. FIFA will draw me back whenever it draws me back. Right now I'm primarily motivated to get it to work just to get it to work, not even out off some deep desire to play it. Yes, of course I remember Jay. Didn't know he had had problems though. Both of you helped me a great deal over on discord.

I may even just put up with it out of the box for a while and completely attack everything with sliders (althought I know that offers very little hope). Thanks again for everything as always.
If you are going to play with sliders. Dont be afraid of mixing the sliders with my Locale INI only mod. Which will 100% work as the process for that is completely different. :)

Test the other mods in the future whenever I update FMT.

Thanks for everything @Paul-v - I've said it before but it's only your mods that made FIFA 23 even vaguely playable for me this year. Sliders are nice but without twice the amount of them (and deep AI behaviour options to play with) it's just horrible for me without your mods. I really appreciate the time and effort you've put into all of your work, so thank you.

Don't blame you for stepping away from it with how convoluted modding the game successfully across different installations has got this year, and given that so much of the core is forcibly "arcade" now I'm personally done until EASFC - and I dread to think how much more super-speedy alien-responsive no-midfield 1v1 that'll be.

Will cross my fingers that you're interested enough to come back then and give us all some hope.

Back
Top Bottom