eFootball (All Platforms)

-Body collisions and physics
-Player awareness (exactly what knightMD said)
-Ball physics (still too floaty and slow sometimes)

These 3 key elements should be fixed.

This is the most arbitrary statement.
ef2022 will be the same game with constant updates and fixes. That's why the names "Season 1", "Season 2" etc.
If efootball receives constant updates and fixes... then when will have a complete game? I mean if they are constantly updating, breaking, and fixing his own game when will have a complete full game with no issues? Never and thats is interesting for konami cause on this way we would be "hyped" for every update/fix, is a shame, whole game is a shame

If efootball receives constant updates and fixes... then when will have a complete game? I mean if they are constantly updating, breaking, and fixing his own game when will have a complete full game with no issues? Never and thats is interesting for konami cause on this way we would be "hyped" for every update/fix, is a shame, whole game is a shame

This is how "Game As A Service" works... When is PUBG or Fortnite "complete" ? Never! It's a contentious process...

Looks nothing like football. Nothing. I don't understand how anybody has stuck by this. Seems like those that did have justified konamis decision.

I never ever move buttons around. I always learn from the default either PES/FIFA as certain combinations become warped when you move buttons around.

I'm a bit shocked so many are changing L2 matchup to X as it creates problems where you could hit a first time pass if pressed at the wrong time. Its more effective than the pressure button in making tackles but I'm surprised people don't adjust to it as the traditional L2 jockey that has been in most football games for a while now, its just better.

Right now offline I'm sticking to my '55-65' overall rated players development project, to take my team of Jamaicans, Arsenal kids and R9 archetype striker/wingers as far as possible as the best form of enjoyment, Dream Team is still a mess, I just hope Konami release some proper offline content for next season in August to get back into this outside of new kits and tactics for PES 2021.

Interesting tweet from Galvani, as well as his replies.
I'd like it very much if what he says would really come true

Not really interesting, is it? Just more baseless speculation from our friend, the ever reliable (/s) RG. Moreover, even if it's true, what does it mean?
This is the most arbitrary statement.
ef2022 will be the same game with constant updates and fixes. That's why the names "Season 1", "Season 2" etc.
Indeed, totally arbitrary. I disagree we'll get content constant updates and fixes, but yeah overall it's going to be less pegged to particular changes of version or season.
Agreed. Completeness is out the window at this point, and indeed that's been the tendency in this GaaS sector, partly as a means of frontloading excuses for bugs and lack of content or features: problem? don't worry bud, what you want is later on the rOaDmAp.

I never ever move buttons around. I always learn from the default either PES/FIFA as certain combinations become warped when you move buttons around.

I'm a bit shocked so many are changing L2 matchup to X as it creates problems where you could hit a first time pass if pressed at the wrong time. Its more effective than the pressure button in making tackles but I'm surprised people don't adjust to it as the traditional L2 jockey that has been in most football games for a while now, its just better.

Right now offline I'm sticking to my '55-65' overall rated players development project, to take my team of Jamaicans, Arsenal kids and R9 archetype striker/wingers as far as possible as the best form of enjoyment, Dream Team is still a mess, I just hope Konami release some proper offline content for next season in August to get back into this outside of new kits and tactics for PES 2021.
I agree, and tend to do the same. But the only thing I changed (and I did this after a couple months) with eFlopball is R1 for team press. You talk about button changes making things warped: there's a Konami-created warp for you!

The likelihood of setting off teampress when you want to Super Cancel is very high now. You can avoid it if you press R1 and R2 at exactly the same time, but it's not ideal in a pressure situation, and you'll destroy your backline and concede needlessly.

So what happens when you switch it to Square is you'll occasionally set off accidental press when you are scrambling to shoot a loose ball in the box – annoying, but less annoying than what Konami themselves give you.

Incidentally, the mapping of team press to R1 feels like yet another attempt to make their game as easy as possible for FIFA players to switch to, as well as caring less and less about players having manual overrides. For all the "omg the defending is so manual now!!" hype (spoiler: it's false), here's another example of Konami dumbing it down and hoping you keep playing as assisted as possible.

I agree, and tend to do the same. But the only thing I changed (and I did this after a couple months) with eFlopball is R1 for team press. You talk about button changes making things warped: there's a Konami-created warp for you!

I mean in more in a sense of using every single function in the game smoothly whether its FIFA or PES and certain functions which require you to hold at least 2 buttons at once, this for things like feints, skills and specific types of passes. I feel its always best to embrace the default button layout setup.

The likelihood of setting off teampress when you want to Super Cancel is very high now. You can avoid it if you press R1 and R2 at exactly the same time, but it's not ideal in a pressure situation, and you'll destroy your backline and concede needlessly.

So what happens when you switch it to Square is you'll occasionally set off accidental press when you are scrambling to shoot a loose ball in the box – annoying, but less annoying than what Konami themselves give you.

Incidentally, the mapping of team press to R1 feels like yet another attempt to make their game as easy as possible for FIFA players to switch to, as well as caring less and less about players having manual overrides. For all the "omg the defending is so manual now!!" hype (spoiler: it's false), here's another example of Konami dumbing it down and hoping you keep playing as assisted as possible.

Its funny you mention this because I find that the game is still manual feeling off the ball enough not to use super cancel so much and I do find the double tap of R1 to make teammate press happen deliberate enough never to miss press it. I use L2 so much that takes the need to use super cancel so much like back in the PES 2021 and previous games. They made the huge mistake to copy the fifa controls layout for v 0.9.0 disaster and have embraced their roots more with this layout with yes, the clear inclusion of teammate press at R1 to soften FIFA players in. I guess its about how each individual feels comfortable with their layout

The real crime from Konami right now is all in the current game objective layout which is forcing everyone into Dream Team only which is a boring mess. I enjoyed the authentic team games online way more than any dream team games, far too many players who are either shit or average getting away with it because they choose to spend 20/50/100 dollors/pounds etc... to pimp their team out which means your either losing or drawing against the same guy that your 3-0 up in 25 minutes and quits in the authentic online challenges where you have to play some football and get good to succeed. I passed that last 3 SPL challenges with Motherwell, Dundee (mates account) & Hibernian respectively for the challenge and won most games (all but 1 vs Celtic & Rangers), occasional losses to a 5 at the back whimp (I'm sorry how can you play with 5 at the back vs a significantly weaker team, anyone who does that is a pussy, prove your skill and win with a progressive attacking formation since its not as if you don't have the players). You can see from the corporate level the main objective is money, money and milking as much microtransaction as possible to make up for the huge losses of income from the 0.9.0 fiacso. This hurts because the core gameplay is still special, there is so much which can and should be built from this but its a shell of what it should be and 1.1.1 has improved and refined certain aspects but I preferred 1.0.0

Dream Team desperately needs team strength tier challenges to keep it engaging rather than this boring arms race of fantasy football due to the ridiculously overpowered stats. I don't care how realistic the game could get its irrelevant with players with 95+ even 99/100 level stats. This isn't helping the games development either as what can be learned from these insane rated players? So I'm frustrated, efootball fixes the worst aspects of PES 2021 and while PES 2021 is still a far better overall experience and it has proper offline content, I find it hard to fully go back into the past, just the movement alone with the left stick is such a huge evolution from before it makes the left stick/right stick/R2 from PES 2021 feel old fashioned and mechanical. I may just stick to tactics and watching CPU vs CPU.

Thing is I can only blame myself for feeling frustrated, I shouldn't be so naïve to trust Konami based on everything we have seen the last 10 months or so.

Its funny you mention this because I find that the game is still manual feeling off the ball enough not to use super cancel so much and I do find the double tap of R1 to make teammate press happen deliberate enough never to miss press it. I use L2 so much that takes the need to use super cancel so much like back in the PES 2021 and previous games. They made the huge mistake to copy the fifa controls layout for v 0.9.0 disaster and have embraced their roots more with this layout with yes, the clear inclusion of teammate press at R1 to soften FIFA players in. I guess its about how each individual feels comfortable with their layout
I thought the same at first, and then realised you still need it to override the arc run back to a loose ball e.g. (your player is slower than they're capable of because arcing all the time to the centre of the ball), or for jockeying into position for headers, being physical with other players (the butt push of the manual shield by contrast is useless/hilarious), and so on. Considering that switching is still pretty poor (though a thousand times better than 0.9.x, I found you needed to use SC to properly run into lanes.

Meanwhile, if you're not judicious with L2/Match-up, you'll run into a ton of problems. Holding it all the time means you'll trigger those awful stumble animations where you get megged every pass. So you have to slow pace to match the opponent, get into the lane, then press just before the ball comes to you. That means you still can (and often should) use SC to get exactly where you want to be.

Seriously, after I switched configuration and started using SC again like I did in all previous PES games: relief – and I realised how much the game still needs it. Manual movement, it is not.

So I'm frustrated, efootball fixes the worst aspects of PES 2021 and while PES 2021 is still a far better overall experience and it has proper offline content, I find it hard to fully go back into the past, just the movement alone with the left stick is such a huge evolution from before it makes the left stick/right stick/R2 from PES 2021 feel old fashioned and mechanical.
I'll grant you that LS movement is better in eFootball, but that's largely it for me. It certainly doesn't fix the worst aspects of PES, and in fact just imports many problems straight over to the new game: players running into each other (actually worse now, because off-ball movement is more active), or running into the path of the ball (very bad on manual passing); no tactical realism or midfield battles (as bad if not worse); actually worse player awareness (I think partially because intercepting has become a 1v1 match-up based command, so AI players are just zombies); weird body pile-ups, or dancing round a ball that nobody can find (worse now); lots of backheels and unnecessary deft passing animations (worse now); and the dreaded animation to try receiving a ball by stretching the back leg out and killing moves 10/10 (maybe slightly less frequent but still there). And that's not to mention the new problems that eFootball brought with it.

Played a few games of 2021 recently, and though I found the old problems soon apparent enough, what I found refreshing in particular was how I didn't have to fight the game to get passing moves going, because the response times were just so much better, the target locking isn't broken to shit, and the pass direction isn't bugged on 1-2s or GK throws (e.g.).

Regardless of their state, efootball 2022 is the best footy game on the market. After playing fifa 22 which is now on xbox gamepass and ea play, a free to play efootball plays like a proper football despite fifa's production value. It is a very low bar to compare i know, yet efootball gives you certain form of control despite its obvious bullshits.
EAs take on football has saturated to a point where it feels like the same stuff, mindless arcade fun that has been rehashed over and over and feels the same even after you've skipped the past 3 iterations and is a lot more frustrating than efootball.

I thought the same at first, and then realised you still need it to override the arc run back to a loose ball e.g. (your player is slower than they're capable of because arcing all the time to the centre of the ball), or for jockeying into position for headers, being physical with other players (the butt push of the manual shield by contrast is useless/hilarious), and so on. Considering that switching is still pretty poor (though a thousand times better than 0.9.x, I found you needed to use SC to properly run into lanes.

Meanwhile, if you're not judicious with L2/Match-up, you'll run into a ton of problems. Holding it all the time means you'll trigger those awful stumble animations where you get megged every pass. So you have to slow pace to match the opponent, get into the lane, then press just before the ball comes to you. That means you still can (and often should) use SC to get exactly where you want to be.

Seriously, after I switched configuration and started using SC again like I did in all previous PES games: relief – and I realised how much the game still needs it. Manual movement, it is not.

I'll grant you that LS movement is better in eFootball, but that's largely it for me. It certainly doesn't fix the worst aspects of PES, and in fact just imports many problems straight over to the new game: players running into each other (actually worse now, because off-ball movement is more active), or running into the path of the ball (very bad on manual passing)

Yes, the basketball style screening which happens too much off the ball as you spoke about regarding off the ball runs really annoys me. I don't hardly play manual on efootball because for me manual is at its best on minimum 15 minute games or more where i have time to not just setup my team but plan the game more, anything less than that the game feels very rushed and this game being still rather new its just not ready to utilize manual properly, however i miss it, i really do because Level 3 passing is so annoying. the amount of times it passes to the wrong player completely or just misplaces the pass straight into the opposition winds me up, the ack of L2 manual arrow passing is badly missed.

We all agree the game still needs a lot of work on collisions.

no tactical realism or midfield battles (as bad if not worse); actually worse player awareness (I think partially because intercepting has become a 1v1 match-up based command, so AI players are just zombies);

Actually at a fundamental core efootball is better tactically than PES 2021 and previous, I have to give it to Konami on this one in terms of core setup because if we actually get the depth back from PES 2021 with tactics sliders and fluid formation it should be better all round. Overall PES 2021 is still better tactically due to the depth which highlights my current frustration On PES 2015-2021 with the setup being fully manual this leads to many positional contradictive conflictions which don't happen as much if at all in efootball.

Take the 'Deep Defensive Line' fiasco of Konami by default giving to almost 80% of teams by default despite their tactics sliders giving them at many times frontline pressure/aggressive so the game is giving that team the opposite instructions defensively at the same time to pressure high but defend deep, absolutely bizarre, this is the worst of the extremes but this a metaphor of the worst element of the tactics on those games which isn't a factor in efootball. PES 2015-2021 felt at times like you needed to babytalk players off the ball to position themselves where you needed and there were some weird buggy positional errors such as the ultra defensive AM off the ball which as you see from many of the tactics I did had to change into SS via fluid formation just to stay up the pitch. They have gone back to the PES 2011-2014 setup of having a preset style gameplan which has helped the off the ball movement for your team in a defensive sense where players follow especially their instructions much better and fluidly compared to the fox engine. I've won many games from utilizing my midfielders to seize control of the match so I do disagree there is no midfield battle, there is and I feels its very underused even by some pro players conceding silly goals drawing their center backs out because as @bluchampblogger said years ago and I learned decades ago, always, always defend with your midfielders as priority and keep your backline as fixed together as possible. Its amazing how effective this is, I see this game defensively is defined by good anchormen/destroys along with a quality box to box midfielder.

The relationship between formation and team playing style is now even more important than on PES 2015-2021. I do find the best formations are:

3-2-4-1, 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 can be good if you pressure like crazy using quick counter or possession game. i feel the sensation of no midfield again comes from Dream team where the game is a mess, you have 99 rated players with teams with 99 team spirit so you dot even need to bother with a realistic strategy with these teams. with stats that crazy its just silly. In the Authentic matches the midfield battle usually decided the match from my experiences. really important to have the right player with right playing style in certain positions, Anchor man is great for a DM, try to avoid using 'Box to Box' players as DM like even Vieira as they usually run out of position forward in attacks, hence 'box to box', this may leave your team open and give opponents too much space.

weird body pile-ups, or dancing round a ball that nobody can find (worse now); lots of backheels and unnecessary deft passing animations (worse now); and the dreaded animation to try receiving a ball by stretching the back leg out and killing moves 10/10 (maybe slightly less frequent but still there). And that's not to mention the new problems that eFootball brought with it.

Agree with this, it will happened i think even more on manual with how bad the player switching is in general still and worse so on manual, that stretch to shoot animation pisses me off the most.

Played a few games of 2021 recently, and though I found the old problems soon apparent enough, what I found refreshing in particular was how I didn't have to fight the game to get passing moves going, because the response times were just so much better, the target locking isn't broken to shit, and the pass direction isn't bugged on 1-2s or GK throws (e.g.).

Yes, its a properly refined offline gameplay experience vs the AI which is more enjoyable than any of the Dream Team stuff in efootball and manual is the best way to enjoy the game for me also. I sometimes if im on something strong stick to the default but nothing beats putting balls into space and well times through balls, chipped passes and manual shots when you have the time to play the way you enjoy.

So all in all i agree with most of what you say bar tactics which have a much better setup than previous years but needs more depth.

Regardless of their state, efootball 2022 is the best footy game on the market. After playing fifa 22 which is now on xbox gamepass and ea play, a free to play efootball plays like a proper football despite fifa's production value. It is a very low bar to compare i know, yet efootball gives you certain form of control despite its obvious bullshits.
EAs take on football has saturated to a point where it feels like the same stuff, mindless arcade fun that has been rehashed over and over and feels the same even after you've skipped the past 3 iterations and is a lot more frustrating than efootball.
No its not , the 2 games are shit .

Actually at a fundamental core efootball is better tactically than PES 2021 and previous, I have to give it to Konami on this one in terms of core setup because if we actually get the depth back from PES 2021 with tactics sliders and fluid formation it should be better all round. Overall PES 2021 is still better tactically due to the depth which highlights my current frustration On PES 2015-2021 with the setup being fully manual this leads to many positional contradictive conflictions which don't happen as much if at all in efootball.
On the (only) point of disagreement – I see your point. For a little while I was quite astounded and enamoured by the fact that finally my team would push up to the halfway line and a little ahead, especially +1 on attacking. Hadn't seen that in a PES game in a long, long time. But rarely would you get a defending side also pushing up to meet them to compress play, so you practically never see that compressed band of 20 players about the entire width of the midfield circle.

In so many real matches, both teams have pushed up to that sort of distance, and this band of players roves back and forth, usually getting a bit more congested on one side or another. It's much more obvious from the stands, and I think one reason we don't get this on football sims is that they want to replicate the TV viewing experience, where rarely do you get overhead shots. So people don't even notice that the shapes and the spaces are completely inaccurate.

As a result, you still – even with better pushing up – are able to pass a ball from your CB to your CF in pretty much every match in eFootball. There's still acres of space, and in my experience nothing resembling the kind of midfield battle we see all the time in modern football. Nothing where a team really has to focus, patiently, teasing players out of zones to "unpick" a midfield. It's just not there, in my opinion.

I've won many games from utilizing my midfielders to seize control of the match so I do disagree there is no midfield battle, there is and I feels its very underused even by some pro players conceding silly goals drawing their center backs out because as @bluchampblogger said years ago and I learned decades ago, always, always defend with your midfielders as priority and keep your backline as fixed together as possible. Its amazing how effective this is, I see this game defensively is defined by good anchormen/destroys along with a quality box to box midfielder.
So maybe you mean more than the example you're giving here of how you use midfielders to win matches. If all you did mean was that it was vital to use midfielders to press/recover than break the back line – then yes, I agree that's probably more vital than it's ever been, though it's always been recommended (funny fact: that Mazen guy who was in here for ages being a prat said he was the first person to offer this piece of tactical advice for eFootball :LOL: ).

So I don't know what to make of what you're saying outside of that sort of case really. Maybe sometime you can paste a video of a good midfield battle. But insofar as I take that phrase to mean what I outlined above – I'm frankly very sceptical!

Agreed, btw, about the conflated tactical systems on PES, the rigidity, and the weird positional shit (dropping AMFs being number one bugbear). So I do think it's a good thing the tactical options are stripped back and that the 5 options on offer are more coherent. But now they need to add stuff back in to make it tweakable, and to be able to get fine-grained with pressing options (more so than what PES had) and how the team should play in different zones and different phases of play.

The thing is, I just don't think they've the appetite for these sorts of changes, and I'm very dubious whether they'll implement things to my satisfaction. I don't think it's a mistake that we only have 5 tactical options and no opportunity to tweak. I think that they wanted that simplicity for mobile crossplay and a "level playing field" on the esports scene. To the extent they allow some depth and complexity, it will be because they decide to veer away from those ambitions.

On the (only) point of disagreement – I see your point. For a little while I was quite astounded and enamoured by the fact that finally my team would push up to the halfway line and a little ahead, especially +1 on attacking. Hadn't seen that in a PES game in a long, long time. But rarely would you get a defending side also pushing up to meet them to compress play, so you practically never see that compressed band of 20 players about the entire width of the midfield circle.

In so many real matches, both teams have pushed up to that sort of distance, and this band of players roves back and forth, usually getting a bit more congested on one side or another. It's much more obvious from the stands, and I think one reason we don't get this on football sims is that they want to replicate the TV viewing experience, where rarely do you get overhead shots. So people don't even notice that the shapes and the spaces are completely inaccurate.

As a result, you still – even with better pushing up – are able to pass a ball from your CB to your CF in pretty much every match in eFootball. There's still acres of space, and in my experience nothing resembling the kind of midfield battle we see all the time in modern football. Nothing where a team really has to focus, patiently, teasing players out of zones to "unpick" a midfield. It's just not there, in my opinion.

So maybe you mean more than the example you're giving here of how you use midfielders to win matches. If all you did mean was that it was vital to use midfielders to press/recover than break the back line – then yes, I agree that's probably more vital than it's ever been, though it's always been recommended (funny fact: that Mazen guy who was in here for ages being a prat said he was the first person to offer this piece of tactical advice for eFootball :LOL: ).

So I don't know what to make of what you're saying outside of that sort of case really. Maybe sometime you can paste a video of a good midfield battle. But insofar as I take that phrase to mean what I outlined above – I'm frankly very sceptical!

Agreed, btw, about the conflated tactical systems on PES, the rigidity, and the weird positional shit (dropping AMFs being number one bugbear). So I do think it's a good thing the tactical options are stripped back and that the 5 options on offer are more coherent. But now they need to add stuff back in to make it tweakable, and to be able to get fine-grained with pressing options (more so than what PES had) and how the team should play in different zones and different phases of play.

The thing is, I just don't think they've the appetite for these sorts of changes, and I'm very dubious whether they'll implement things to my satisfaction. I don't think it's a mistake that we only have 5 tactical options and no opportunity to tweak. I think that they wanted that simplicity for mobile crossplay and a "level playing field" on the esports scene. To the extent they allow some depth and complexity, it will be because they decide to veer away from those ambitions.

Yes, it's a simple difference in philosophy.

Your manual 24/7. I'm only manual on 15 minutes +. A real midfield battle dosen't happen organically in such short games of 10 minutes anymore. PES 5 was a very long time ago in 8 directions albeit it was the secound last of a long 7-8 year development cycle. Movement and feints right now are a different world to anything back in the ps2 eras. We are still a long way away from this realism depth for efootball and I don't even expect it without time and refinement, i think Konami are making this point by locking the match time offline to 10 to say, 'It's still not ready to play seriously and 100 on real immersion'. It sucks, this incompetance but life aint perfect.

We are both most importantly still manual enthusiasts so thats where mostly agree as we want the same thing which is a brilliant long, 30 minute or even longer offline experience. I'm really happy with what i have seen even though it clearly needs more depth. There is midfield battles, tactical chessmatches but at a core level but not enough options to really be indepth.. most of these matches happened in 'Authentic' team challenges.

As for video footage my best footage isnt even me playing. Its a PC Version CPU sort of vs CPU match between Blackburn and West Brom. Theres a few rough parts as it's 1.0.0. I was really blown away by how intelligently the AI played. The quick nimble players being that and taking on their man. Players really furfilling their player styles. What I stood back and said was this despite its flaws CPU vs CPU blows every single football game thats ever existed out of the water with ease.

I don't mind the auto passing and i feel its important that the game is still quite raw and this build is 2 months old to really drill it to see its ups and downs on the default setup given by Konami. What i've seen in manual is sadly its being disappreciated but its right now base, vanilla potential for when the game actually has offline ready content ready.

Edit mode and new season cups and leagues will arrive most likely now in August as they know they need to release early ahead of everyone to make up for the disaster last year. This is coming with a completion to all of this fancy new cutscenes pre match.

Last edited:

His source is anonymous, and it sounds like complete bullshit to me. But, reporting it anyway...
It's not unlikely. FIFA do not want to not be in the market. EA did not budge and offer them the ridiculous price they're asking for. They're not going to build a game studio from the ground up to make a game, unless they're looking for RBI Baseball style results. Konami, for better or worse, does have skin in the game.

The problem is that the FIFA license is fairly meaningless. It offers little in terms of licenses. Plus whatever player-base they could have garnered by simply mistaking the game because of its name is a non-factor these days, people have much more access to information and EA is making sure people know about EA FC in all their social media channels. They probably are gonna spend a pretty penny in marketing too.

The road ahead for FIFA is not going to be easy. They severely overestimated how much their name is worth. It would not shock me if they came back to EA in 2 years pleading to make a deal and lowering the price many times over.

His source is anonymous, and it sounds like complete bullshit to me. But, reporting it anyway...
Do you remember the 2005's hot topic/wet dream in PES forums? ..aka "FIFA Evolution Soccer" (a game with FIFA's licenses, presentation and PES gameplay)...

Now we can have it, but it will be neither FIFA, nor Evolution!!! :D

I'm kidding, in more serious tone, i can't see why EA would share their piece of pie with KONAMI, since they hold much larger playbase/customers, and possibly larger microtransactions profit.

I can see this collaboration possible in the future, if a 3rd footy comes, 2K or whatever else development, that will hold the rights for FIFA license agreement. The same license that EA had until now: FIFA logo, brandname, "prestige", and World Cup rights.

Last edited:
I'm kidding, in more serious tone, i can't see why EA would share their piece of pie with KONAMI
Oh it wouldn't have anything to do with EA, the "rumour" is that the organisation FIFA are in talks with Konami, not the FIFA game producers.

It'd be the ultimate revenge from FIFA, to partner with EA's biggest football-game rival, Konami ... except the reality would be a janky World Cup game with the same "New Football Game" gameplay we've come to accept as "barely acceptable for the 21st century", and it'd be no different from what we have now.

I really hope FIFA at least partner with a new developer, like 2K. I'm not saying it'd be the best game ever made - it would more than likely be another fruit machine poorly disguised as a sports title. That's all sports games seem to be now. But it would at least be different, and hopefully something between "Unresponsive Zombieball 2022" and "Hyperalien Icehockeyball on Cocaine 2047".

Konami's Fifa could actually be alright. They would have to at least make a semblance of a game for that. Unless...

*Player picks Portugal for World cup
Konami: Wow you picked Portugal! But there is no Ronaldo on your team? Luckily we have a few top players available in this Special players promotion! Also Beckham is there, he could do a job for Portugal! Spend a few coins to find out, good luck 😄

Oh it wouldn't have anything to do with EA, the "rumour" is that the organisation FIFA are in talks with Konami, not the FIFA game producers.

It'd be the ultimate revenge from FIFA, to partner with EA's biggest football-game rival, Konami ... except the reality would be a janky World Cup game with the same "New Football Game" gameplay we've come to accept as "barely acceptable for the 21st century", and it'd be no different from what we have now.

I really hope FIFA at least partner with a new developer, like 2K. I'm not saying it'd be the best game ever made - it would more than likely be another fruit machine poorly disguised as a sports title. That's all sports games seem to be now. But it would at least be different, and hopefully something between "Unresponsive Zombieball 2022" and "Hyperalien Icehockeyball on Cocaine 2047".

:LOL: To be honest i did suspect FIFA doing something like this when the whole EA split happened. Something broke down badly between EA and FIFA, EA NEED that licensing, while they still have a stranglehold on the Premier League, Bundesliga & La Liga especially, the editing capabilities of Konami mean they can survive without having all the important licenses, EA can't. There's a deeper problem which brewed between the two companies and I do agree, would be nice to see no exclusivity, the FIFA license shared among a number of developers.

Do you remember the 2005's hot topic/wet dream in PES forums? ..aka "FIFA Evolution Soccer" (a game with FIFA's licenses, presentation and PES gameplay)...

Now we can have it, but it will be neither FIFA, nor Evolution!!! :D

I'm kidding, in more serious tone, i can't see why EA would share their piece of pie with KONAMI, since they hold much larger playbase/customers, and possibly larger microtransactions profit.

I can see this collaboration possible in the future, if a 3rd footy comes, 2K or whatever else development, that will hold the rights for FIFA license agreement. The same license that EA had until now: FIFA logo, brandname, "prestige", and World Cup rights.

When I first read it, my immediate thought was why would EA want to collaborate with Konami, then I remembered that EA were ditching the FIFA branding. But it shows that the name FIFA is synonymous with the EA game.

So who knows, if it does become FIFA eFootball, there might be a bunch of uninformed customers out there think it's the next installment of the EA game and blindly buy it, and Konami will make a pile of underhand profit. Except they made just their game free :CONF:.

When I first read it, my immediate thought was why would EA want to collaborate with Konami, then I remembered that EA were ditching the FIFA branding. But it shows that the name FIFA is synonymous with the EA game.

So who knows, if it does become FIFA eFootball, there might be a bunch of uninformed customers out there think it's the next installment of the EA game and blindly buy it, and Konami will make a pile of underhand profit. Except they made just their game free :CONF:.
Yeah, thankfully @Chris Davies imidiatelly corrected me, cause i read it rushed too, and did not pay attention that FIFA was the "governing body" of Football. :BRICK:

Fun FAct here: I was in an article years ago, that was analysing the success of EA FIFA over KONAMI. Among a lot facts,the article was stating, that in USA market, there were videogaming players/consumers, that were unaware that FIFA (the federation) was something different than FIFA (the EA sports game). Especially those that do not watch football closely, were convinved that the real life FIFA, is another IP of EA Sports.... And this was pushing the EA sports footy game, over KONAMI's PES, due to look like more "prestigious".

Now i fell in them same trap :P :D , but not out of unawareness, but cause i rushed and did not read carefully, the tweet Chris posted.

In other news, same rumor. Will/can KONAMI pay the crazy amount of money FIFA was asking by EA sports? Cause for similar reason, very high cost, over little to no direct and clear profit, they ditched the Champions League License in 2019. It was not the same of course, just similarities, Competition Logo, Tournament format, and prestige in negotiations with others.

:LOL: To be honest i did suspect FIFA doing something like this when the whole EA split happened. Something broke down badly between EA and FIFA, EA NEED that licensing, while they still have a stranglehold on the Premier League, Bundesliga & La Liga especially, the editing capabilities of Konami mean they can survive without having all the important licenses, EA can't. There's a deeper problem which brewed between the two companies and I do agree, would be nice to see no exclusivity, the FIFA license shared among a number of developers.
I think the issue seemed to stem from the fact that FIFA did not get paid a % on the mtx that was making EA billions. They tried to get into that pie and EA said no. So they went with the other obvous route, which is ask for an unreasonable amount of money for the license itself. EA also said no.

Seriously doubt this will have much of an impact, if any, on the EA FC brand they're building.

I mean, it's extremely believable since FIFA IS already shopping around for games to take up its licenses. Thing is, if you aren't naming the actual game 'FIFA', the FIFA license is ultimately good for one thing, and that's the World Cup. After 2022, it will be another 4 years before it becomes worth having again. During these 4 years, I'd rather Konami invest in features, modes, STADIUMS, porting to UE5 etc, rather than pay a dime to FIFA during the few years when having the license won't be mean much anyway.

TLDR: The only way a FIFA license would be useful is if they guarantee rights to FIFA World Cup 2026, all its US/Canada/Mexico stadiums, and its qualifiers, with all those national team anthems and kits in both qualifying stages and finals.

Last edited:
LOL, if Konami landed the FIFA license they would shut down every other videogame interest they have and become the FIFA game maker.

LOL, if Konami landed the FIFA license they would shut down every other videogame interest they have and become the FIFA game maker.
I don't think so. KONAMI has already abolished the AAA game producing. Today they are only focused on casino-games, PES eFootball, and YuGiOh.

I can't see them abondoning neither pachinkos, nor YuGiOh, as it is a very big IP by itself, and together with Magic the Gathering and Pokemon TCG , are of the top-3 Trading Card Games in our world.

When you have a such profitable result in both games/franchises (YuGiOh is a multi-IP, physical game, video games, anime, manga, merchandising) , you can't just abolish it.

They can continue to offer work with half-arsed results in both games, (talking about the video game part in both games) and still be profitable in both of them.

Back
Top Bottom