FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

From this Polygon article posted alongside the trailer:

"There’s some fine print on cross-platform play. It’s only available for the same console family, so, PlayStation 4 with PS5, and Xbox One with Xbox Series S/X."

That's not crossplay then, is it!!

Playable highlights? Oh good, cos I buy football games to play the least amount of football possible.

Fucks. Sake. "Disappointing" is right.

This screams of some dickhead consultant looking at the amount of people who start a Career Mode save and never get past the first season, and immediately think they know why. "People just don't have the time to play full matches any more!"

No. They just don't want to play a shit game.

From this Polygon article posted alongside the trailer:

"There’s some fine print on cross-platform play. It’s only available for the same console family, so, PlayStation 4 with PS5, and Xbox One with Xbox Series S/X."

That's not crossplay then, is it!!
Well EA writes something different on the official page: In FIFA 23, cross-play will be available for players on the same platform generation. PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Stadia, and PC versions of FIFA 23 will be cross-play compatible with one another, and PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of FIFA 23 will be cross-play compatible with one another.

So Polygon got it wrong. They probably mistaken same console generation for same console family.

Two things that needs to be addressed before I buy this. First is defense. Defending in FIFA 22 is non existent. Second thing that needs to be addressed is the fact that shit teams are way better than good teams. Teams like Burnley plays ping pong passing around the box with 99% pass completion.

Totally agree of course, but I think this is one issue, the 2nd one is a direct result of the 1st one.

How do you make higher difficulties harder if AI defending is banned from the game? Yeah, with over the top attacking AI. Go back 10 years and professional difficulty is a proper challenge because the bloody game is properly balanced.

"The only major downside to the build we played was the AI, which often refuses to stick with the player they’re supposed to be marking. This leads to a “one for you, one for me” cadence where you’re trading goals with the other player".

:LMAO:
How dare they not realise it's supposed to be like that and that it's brilliant, actually.

How old was this journalist FFS? If you're not 12, you just won't understand.

Playable highlights 😿

Remember when football games were about trying to replicate football?
I don't understand the critique about playable highlights to be honest. Like if it would replace being able to play a full game okay. But otherwise?

I know a couple of people who play a 30 year season and simulate smaller league games or the pre season friendlies. I myself sometimes used the Football Manager Style sim they had in 22 for Pre Season friendlies.

But if I can now play highlights of those pre season games (which by the way still for me represents football, it's like when I watch the highlights of my team on TV since I didn't get to watch the full game) and this way have more influence on the outcomes I probably will use it for those games, to focus more on transfers and building teams and speeding up the pre season of my long running career modes.

I don't understand the critique about playable highlights to be honest. Like if it would replace being able to play a full game okay. But otherwise?

I know a couple of people who play a 30 year season and simulate smaller league games or the pre season friendlies. I myself sometimes used the Football Manager Style sim they had in 22 for Pre Season friendlies.

But if I can now play highlights of those pre season games (which by the way still for me represents football, it's like when I watch the highlights of my team on TV since I didn't get to watch the full game) and this way have more influence on the outcomes I probably will use it for those games, to focus more on transfers and building teams and speeding up the pre season of my long running career modes.
Playable highlights are exactly what the FUT oriented crowd/younger generation wants.
It's highlights for them nowadays ,quick clips instead of full games ,it's all in the line of where EA is taking this game.
Attention span is getting shorter and shorter.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're imbedded in an app on Fifa ,like IG or Tik tok or a replica of it to make it "authentic"

Playable highlights are exactly what the FUT oriented crowd/younger generation wants.
It's highlights for them nowadays ,quick clips instead of full games ,it's all in the line of where EA is taking this game.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're imbedded in an app on Fifa ,like IG or Tik tok or a replica of it to make it "authentic"
I am nearly 40 and I like the idea of highlights to use for example for Pre Season games. I want to play 30 year career mode but have a job and private life and not so much time for gaming anymore. So if I can simulate some matches and still enjoy a long term career and influence outcomes, why not.

Has nothing to do with FUT Crowd. I bet I am not the only one my age who will like that feature.

;)

"We want it to be effective, we want people to try it, but we don't want it to be the meta or overpowered. We test throughout the whole year [ahead of release], and are trying our best to balance it. But we know the reality is that when the game goes live, millions play it, and they will find things that we didn't see. If that happens, we have a dedicated team that monitors this feedback on a day-to-day basis, and will act on it quickly via the Live Tuning tool," Doskov adds.

I am nearly 40 and I like the idea of highlights to use for example for Pre Season games. I want to play 30 year career mode but have a job and private life and not so much time for gaming anymore. So if I can simulate some matches and still enjoy a long term career and influence outcomes, why not.

Has nothing to do with FUT Crowd. I bet I am not the only one my age who will like that feature.
Not directed at you ,directed at EA and the short attention span customers.
I'm sure this feature is created for that ,and not 40 year olds wanting to play 30 year careers.
That's my point.
Have they changed fifa in to 30 years max now? ,used to be 10 max

The only part that's missing from their big "reveal" is to include some announcement of mobile cross-play to compete with eFootball, so we can increase our skill gaps pulling some roulettes with one swipe when were on the toilet... I guess that big reveal plus the Tik Tok integration and the NFTs will be included next year when FIFA will finally transform into F2P...

The only part that's missing from their big "reveal" is to include some announcement of mobile cross-play to compete with eFootball, so we can increase our skill gaps pulling some roulettes with one swipe when were on the toilet... I guess that big reveal plus the Tik Tok integration and the NFTs will be included next year when FIFA will finally transform into F2P...
Pretty sure it's heading that way too mate

Not directed at you ,directed at EA and the short attention span customers.
I'm sure this feature is created for that ,and not 40 year olds wanting to play 30 year careers.
That's my point.
Have they changed fifa in to 30 years max now? ,used to be 10 max
I think 15 was the max but I hope for 30 years. Still that is a lot if I play all games with limited time.

And what I mean: before you attack a feature maybe think about if it also has good sides for some gamers. You immediately attack it as: this is for the FUT crowd. But if you think about it it can also be for the crowd that has less time because of other things in their life and still wants to enjoy career modes and for example building a team out of their youth academy.

I think sometimes features are just looked at from a certain perspective: "they want to not have long football matches anymore" instead of that it can be also more inclusive and make more people enjoy something. If for example it has a positive influence on more engagement in Career mode, that would be a positive for me since it then means interest in career mode is rising again.

Take NBA games for example. I love their franchise mode but can't play 82 games a season, same with MLB. So I love if I can have something in Sports games where I can play highlights and still feel that my input matters instead of just watching a sim.

I think 15 was the max but I hope for 30 years. Still that is a lot if I play all games with limited time.

And what I mean: before you attack a feature maybe think about if it also has good sides for some gamers. You immediately attack it as: this is for the FUT crowd. But if you think about it it can also be for the crowd that has less time because of other things in their life and still wants to enjoy career modes and for example building a team out of their youth academy.

I think sometimes features are just looked at from a certain perspective: "they want to not have long football matches anymore" instead of that it can be also more inclusive and make more people enjoy something. If for example it has a positive influence on .ore engagement in Career mode, that would be a positive for me since it then means interest in career mode is rising again.

Take NBA games for example. I love their franchise mode but can't play 82 games a season, same with MLB. So I love if I can have something in Sports games where I can play highlights and still feel that my input matters instead of justw watching a sim.
FYI I play 4x12 qtrs on NBA 2k ,usually 5-10 seasons (though I sim too)

I think you misread my take on it ,it's not Vs you and the ability to this ,but I'm 100% sure that EA didn't have you or people wanting to play like you do in mind when creating this ,I'm pretty sure it's for the crowd I mentioned since those kids/younger persons by choice watch highlights Vs a full game.
Think @Chris Davies mentioned some survey taken by people of that age group (sorry to drag you in Chris mate)

FYI I play 4x12 qtrs on NBA 2k ,usually 5-10 seasons (though I sim too)

I think you misread my take on it ,it's not Vs you and the ability to this ,but I'm 100% sure that EA didn't have you or people wanting to play like you do in mind when creating this ,I'm pretty sure it's for the crowd I mentioned since those kids/younger persons by choice watch highlights Vs a full game.
Think @Chris Davies mentioned some survey taken by people of that age group (sorry to drag you in Chris mate)
Even if it is for this crowd I still don't see the negative about the feature: if you want to play a full game you still can. And for people who want to use highlights for different reasons (be it attention spans or be it time reasons), it is now a new option to engage with Career mode which also is not a negative, since it could mean more people getting invested in Career Mode.

I just don't understand what is negative about an option, that you don't have to use if you don't want to and doesn't negatively impact your experience, but could make a mode more enjoyable for others.

I just don't understand what is negative about an option, that you don't have to use if you don't want to and doesn't negatively impact your experience, but could make a mode more enjoyable for others.
The negative is twofold - firstly, they've spent development time on it, when there are vastly bigger things they could add, or even just fix. There are things the community has begged for, for years. This isn't one of them.

Secondly, this is their headline feature. The guy who leaked this news (and others have confirmed it) said himself that the Career Mode features list is, at least so far (though it's likely the final list), "disappointing".

Playing less of the game is not a feature. Let alone the big, exciting, headline feature. It's absolutely a negative. In itself it's not, but in terms of the unevolved product we get as a consequence of adding this, it is.

Even if it is for this crowd I still don't see the negative about the feature: if you want to play a full game you still can. And for people who want to use highlights for different reasons (be it attention spans or be it time reasons), it is now a new option to engage with Career mode which also is not a negative, since it could mean more people getting invested in Career Mode.
I don't really see me saying it was a bad thing ,I just pointed out the fact ,I'm sure it's useful.
Then again if more and more shorter solutions to playing a full game gets implemented maybe gameplay or the the game itself changes?
Fifa not being a proper football game (as we see it) but a separate entity.
No clue?
I don't care if they implement this or not ,I don't even watch halftime/full-time replays

The negative is twofold - firstly, they've spent development time on it, when there are vastly bigger things they could add, or even just fix. There are things the community has begged for, for years. This isn't one of them.

Secondly, this is their headline feature. The guy who leaked this news (and others have confirmed it) said himself that the Career Mode features list is, at least so far (though it's likely the final list), "disappointing".

Playing less of the game is not a feature. Let alone the big, exciting, headline feature. It's absolutely a negative. In itself it's not, but in terms of the unevolved product we get as a consequence of adding this, it is.
I disagree in this point "playing less of the game is not a feature". For me as a fan of career modes in gaming it is a very welcomed feature and actually important since it definitely changes my investment in the mode.

So it is not an absolute negative like you are painting it. Especially if maybe more people engage in Career mode.

And here lies my problem in general: saying they should have invested more time in something else, will always be subjective. You might not like the feature and think it was bad that it took development time while for me for example it is a great addition. Sometimes I wish we as football gamers would be less gatekeeping and more open to different approaches.

Last edited:
I disagree in this point "playing less of the game is not a feature". For em as a fan of career modes in gaming it is a very welcomed feature and actually important since it definitely changes my investment in the mode.

So it is not an absolute negative like you are painting it. Especially if maybe more people engage in Career mode.

And her lies my problem in general: saying they should have invested more time in something else, will always be subjective. You might not like the feature and think it was bad that it took development time while for me for example it is a great addition. Sometimes I wish we as football gamers would be less gatekeeping and more open to different approaches.
I take your point on it being subjective. There's not much point going around in circles - you say it adds value to certain people, you are right. But it takes value from people like me, who want Career Mode to have at least half of the management features that Football Manager has, by the fact that it was chosen to be one of the year's biggest features.

Who are there more of? I'm tempted to say the former, because gaming is being made more and more bite-size and hands-off by the minute. But I don't know - a lot of Career Mode players would like more management features, and I suspect the ones who stop playing after a month of their CM save (the ones EA think they're giving a lovely feature to) stop playing because the gameplay and/or CM bugs are just too frustrating.

Who knows. Either way, I'm unhappy about it and I would hope you could see my position like I can see yours.

I take your point on it being subjective. There's not much point going around in circles - you say it adds value to certain people, you are right. But it takes value from people like me, who want Career Mode to have at least half of the management features that Football Manager has, by the fact that it was chosen to be one of the year's biggest features.

Who are there more of? I'm tempted to say the former, because gaming is being made more and more bite-size and hands-off by the minute. But I don't know - a lot of Career Mode players would like more management features, and I suspect the ones who stop playing after a month of their CM save (the ones EA think they're giving a lovely feature to) stop playing because the gameplay and/or CM bugs are just too frustrating.

Who knows. Either way, I'm unhappy about it and I would hope you could see my position like I can see yours.
I understand your position but I think we both want the same: I also want more management features in Career Mode. But that is why I am all for giving more people a reason to try out career mode

That's why I take myself as an example I love Career modes but I never manage to do more than a couple of seasons.

But if engagement maybe gets higher through this addition, it could also mean that there will be more features then added and for example a better Youth Academy (which is an area I would like to see improved).

We had game scenario back in the time, where we had to jump at some key moments of classic games and try to turn the game.
Is this highlights thing something somewhat similar?

Another old thing sold as a new feature?

Go back 10 years and professional difficulty is a proper challenge because the bloody game is properly balanced.
You're wrong. The games haven't gotten any easier over the last 6 years. Professional was also already piss easy back then.

By the way, why did nobody notice the dynamic time of day feature in the trailer?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom