FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

I'm thick, What exactly does playable highlights mean lol?
Think "Scenario Mode" but with random moments throughout the match, so you don't have to do any of that boring "defending" shit. Yawn, defending, am I right?

As a mode to complete with real-life situations, I get it. As a Career Mode feature... I don't. But others do.

Really, what's the point of this highlight "feature"? You can already play way, waaay less with the jumping in the simulation at every second thing. You want even less than that? To each his own, sure, but to me it sounds so silly on paper it's start reminding me of those mobile football games in which you have to just press the button on screen at the right moment of an already pre rendered animation of a shoot or a cross to keep it going. At this pace I think we aren't all that far from that to become a "feature" in some next Fifa (or whatever they'll call their future thing) as well lol.

Think "Scenario Mode" but with random moments throughout the match, so you don't have to do any of that boring "defending" shit. Yawn, defending, am I right?

As a mode to complete with real-life situations, I get it. As a Career Mode feature... I don't. But others do.
Seems like "The Jordan challenge" from 2k11 get thrown in to a situation ,you're 10 pts behind and it's 3:42 on the clock ,now win!
Or score a hattrick,you have 35 min left of the game

Agreed.

I've said before that HyperMotion doesn't actually mean any one thing, and that it's a collection of features/promises under a jazzy name.

My example: waking up, getting up, having breakfast, having a shower, brushing my teeth, and calling it a HyperMorning™.
No 'HyperMorning' is complete without a hypershit so you're already laying the groundwork for the future release of HyperMorning 2.0 - now with excessive shitting!

They know how to make a beautiful trailer, that's for sure. That bespoke commentary, the World Cup tease... Very nice.

Just impossible to believe the gameplay will be as slow as it looks in the trailer, or that players will position themselves properly. Let's see an actual gameplay video now.
For gameplay speed reference please check video 0:51 - 0:55

It also occurs to me this will be the last official football library of real world teams in traditional capacity for the foreseeable future.

It's likely next year EA will do their own F2P FUT project similar to eFootball where the emphasis is on making your own fantasy team.

For gameplay speed reference please check video 0:51 - 0:55
I did actually try and get some sense of the speed of the game (and whether skating has been worked on, and whether midfielders bother to mark anybody now) from the very brief clip of the tackle-from-behind (in the women's match).

WumEkWU.gif

The leg movement of the player in white at the top of the screen - pretty sure the typical broken animation happens (where the leg animation "resets" in the middle of running), and the speed looks ridiculous to me. The clock speed looks normal, I think.

But obviously this is horribly desperate over-analysis.

Yeah I wouldn't expect any drastic epiphany from EA to make a better sim this year, those animations resetting causing the legs to skate is done purely to reduce inertia and make the game as responsive as possible at the expense of physics.

It's called hypermotion for a reason, to make the game as hyper sensitive and as hyper responsive as Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting.

Yeah I wouldn't expect any drastic epiphany from EA to make a better sim this year, those animations resetting causing the legs to skate is done purely to reduce inertia and make the game as responsive as possible at the expense of physics.

It's called hypermotion for a reason, to make the game as hyper sensitive and as hyper responsive as Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting.
EA never tried to make a simulation game and so I dont understand why people still expect that...

I've watched the trailer on 0.25 speed and it appears that foot planting is better, there isn't any obvious skating.

I've watched the trailer on 0.25 speed and it appears that foot planting is better, there isn't any obvious skating.

I bet there's no obvious skating in the 22 trailer too, so it doesn't mean much, it's a trailer, it won't highlight flaws.

EA never tried to make a simulation game and so I dont understand why people still expect that...

I haven't seen anyone expecting it though? Most of us have extremely low expectations & are saying just that.

There are also many shades of grey between sim/arcade, it's not an on/off switch & it was definitely in a better place in the not so distant past, so it doesn't hurt to see if it's making any steps in the "sim" direction, but yeah, I don't see anyone expecting a sim.

Last edited:
I bet there's no obvious skating in the 22 trailer too, so it doesn't mean much, it's a trailer, it won't highlight flaws.
Regarding the skating/sliding, this is from Eurogamer:

"This year, we're taking the active touch system to dribbling. That results in a very responsive dribble system where the personality of the players really shines. It's something you're going to feel right away."

Rivera admitted FIFA 22 sometimes feels "slidey", with players sometimes skating when turning. The new system for FIFA 23 makes players more grounded, and turning feels better, Rivera said. There are machine learning-powered steps in-between dribble touches, which should make for better visuals.

https://www.eurogamer.net/fifa-23-has-a-new-power-shot

Regarding the skating/sliding, this is from Eurogamer:

"This year, we're taking the active touch system to dribbling. That results in a very responsive dribble system where the personality of the players really shines. It's something you're going to feel right away."

Rivera admitted FIFA 22 sometimes feels "slidey", with players sometimes skating when turning. The new system for FIFA 23 makes players more grounded, and turning feels better, Rivera said. There are machine learning-powered steps in-between dribble touches, which should make for better visuals.

https://www.eurogamer.net/fifa-23-has-a-new-power-shot

That'll be great until the Live Team rips it up in mid October.

Really like the title of that article, and the first line. "FIFA 23 has a new power shot". You can just feel the author going...

partridge-i-dont-know.gif

I like this:

"It's worth noting the new power shot takes the input command of the low driven shot seen in previous FIFA games. Low driven shots are still in FIFA 23, but are now governed by the amount of power you put behind any shot, rather than a dedicated input command."

But then I think to myself, that means even less error. You don't undercook shots any more. But I do like the contextual nature of it.

Also:

"EA said improvements have been made to AI positioning - a response to an issue in FIFA 22 where teams drop back too deep, crowding their own box and forming a wall of defenders to create blocks that are too powerful. EA says FIFA 23 blocks are more realistic - "they're not as perfect" according to Doskov, and there is a "consequence" to dropping back deep. 'There's a pro and con to the different tactics you choose. There isn't going to be one that is as overpowered as we saw in FIFA 22.'"

I reckon that directly correlates with what USA Today observed, i.e. defenders are even more traffic-coney than ever if you try to drop off, and it ends up becoming a goalfest:

"The only major downside to the build we played was the AI, which often refuses to stick with the player they’re supposed to be marking. This leads to a 'one for you, one for me' cadence where you’re trading goals with the other player."

Really like the title of that article, and the first line. "FIFA 23 has a new power shot". You can just feel the author going...

partridge-i-dont-know.gif

I like this:

"It's worth noting the new power shot takes the input command of the low driven shot seen in previous FIFA games. Low driven shots are still in FIFA 23, but are now governed by the amount of power you put behind any shot, rather than a dedicated input command."

But then I think to myself, that means even less error. You don't undercook shots any more. But I do like the contextual nature of it.
For me the positive out of the interview is that they are at least addressing and admitting issues like skating. If the changes have an impact we will see, but it is is a positive that they talk about it.

I haven't seen anyone expecting it though? Most of us have extremely low expectations & are saying just that.

There are also many shades of grey between sim/arcade, it's not an on/off switch & it was definitely in a better place in the not so distant past, so it doesn't hurt to see if it's making any steps in the "sim" direction, but yeah, I don't see anyone expecting a sim.
but you all are expectin it going into the sim direction or criticise for not going there...

but you all are expectin it going into the sim direction or criticise for not going there...
Merely commenting on it, and criticising it from the point of view of someone who expects some football in their game about football, that's all. This is a forum, made for discussion, and discussion about different opinions.

If all you want to read is praise for FIFA, A) I'm not sure why you're on (Pro) Evo-Web, and B) you're better off following fan accounts on Twitter.

Merely commenting on it, and criticising it from the point of view of someone who expects some football in their game about football, that's all. This is a forum, made for discussion, and discussion about different opinions.

If all you want to read is praise for FIFA, A) I'm not sure why you're on (Pro) Evo-Web, and B) you're better off following fan accounts on Twitter.
The forum is more anti fifa. The negatives seem to be highlighted
more for fifa and a lot of positives ignored and with PES there's a lot of focus on the positives whilst ignoring a lot of the negatives. Generally speaking.

talking bout discussion and different opinion but then when I critisise, you write something like this: "If all you want to read is praise for FIFA, A) I'm not sure why you're on (Pro) Evo-Web, and B) you're better off following fan accounts on Twitter." Sounds a little bit like a hypocrite but ok.
I think FIFA is the most complete football game on the market. Maybe not perfect and not perfect for every type of gamer but still better than efootball (coming from someone who played a lot of pes over the last years) and stuff like "Expecting some football in their football game" is just absurd...

more for fifa and a lot of positives ignored and with PES there's a lot of focus on the positives whilst ignoring a lot of the negatives. Generally speaking.
Go and look at the eFootball thread and the amount of people complaining (fairly) that it's an incomplete game, devoid of features, with potential that may never be realised.

For God's sake, this was the last post in there:

You can not compare both games because they are light years away , Fifa is a finished product and the other one... just a pre demo

I promise you @hitmanuk, you're seeing a bias that isn't there because you like FIFA. Some share that opinion, some don't, but those who disagree (like me) aren't preventing you from posting about it. Only stating their opinion. That some people react as though they are hurt by a difference of opinion - an opinion about a video game, no less - which really boggles my mind.

I think FIFA is the most complete football game on the market. Maybe not perfect and not perfect for every type of gamer but still better than efootball (coming from someone who played a lot of pes over the last years) and stuff like "Expecting some football in their football game" is just absurd...
I agree that it's the most complete. I disagree that my statement is absurd, because when pass accuracy is always 80%+ from the AI (and usually 90%+ from the human), that represents less variety in the gameplay than FIFA used to have (let alone PES).

That's just one example; when the ball moves like a bullet and online games more often than not finish with absurd scorelines when compared to reality, I see FIFA 22 being closer to Mario Strikers Charged than, for example, FIFA 16 - and there's good reason to believe the game will continue to move in this direction.

However, we're here to discuss these opinions, and whether it should be closer to a sim, or whether it's "just a game". That's the enjoyment of a forum.

It also occurs to me this will be the last official football library of real world teams in traditional capacity for the foreseeable future.

It's likely next year EA will do their own F2P FUT project similar to eFootball where the emphasis is on making your own fantasy team.
No

About the slide, there is hardly any, and you will understand next week. Sliding hinders responsiveness, because you waste time with a sliding animation.

Last edited:
We had game scenario back in the time, where we had to jump at some key moments of classic games and try to turn the game.
Is this highlights thing something somewhat similar?

Another old thing sold as a new feature?
Scenario mode in Pro Evo was a thing of beauty. Seem to remember there being a Euro 96 one where you was Holland and 4-1 down against England.

I will grant you that a lot of praise & criticism for either game has its roots on whether someone sees himself as a loyal member of either tribe & may not be sincere.

There are also some grown ups present & I've just learned to pay attention to only maybe 10 or 20 people when it comes to opinions.

For me the lack of defending is not just another flaw though, it's a game breaker, I will say so & since I'm not anti-fifa, if 23 is the same I'll just go back to playing an older fifa game & not the train-wreck that is e-football, which I can only describe as something you would get if you ordered FUT from wish. Anyway, not every opinion is about 1 game vs the other.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom