[General Discussion] What have you been playing this week?

I think I'm in World Cup hangover mode, so I haven't touched any footy games recently and have been spending a lot of time with @El Pajaro's NHL 04 Rebuilt. It's a masterpiece: right now, I'm playing a 97-98 season with my Detroit Red Wings, and I'm at the point of the season where the real Olympics took place, so I'm playing an Olympic tournament at the moment. So far, I'm still in the group stage, but Canada and the Czechs look like they're going to be difficult to beat.

I'm having issues with goalscoring, despite playing 10-minute periods and getting a realistic number of shots in both directions. In my season, I'm averaging just under 3 goals scored per game, and while I'm not complaining because I like tight, difficult sports games (especially in the Olympics and Playoffs), I do find the learning curve on this game to be fairly steep. But it's a fucking blast, especially with the added music playing during pauses in play adding tremendous realism, and grinding out a 3-2 or 2-1 game is very rewarding.

I was a bit playing KCD.

But I'm more like this black knight fella...

798.jpg

It's February and we have in our hands another great game after Hi-Fi Rush and Hogwarts Legacy. It's Atomic Heart. If some of you guys are old enough and played games like White Gold and Boiling Point you're in for a treat. This is a polished version of the games mentioned above with a superb story.
Oh and the soundtrack is phenomenal.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Its a newer Ubisoft title, so on Default you get shit loads of trash all over your screen, levelling guns and other weirdness.

But set it to immersive mode and find a mate to play with.

With no Hud, Extreme Difficulty and injuries set to Always - this is one of the best co-op games I have played in years!

Clusterfuck example from last night :LOL:

I've been playing some Virtua Striker 2, mainly Naomi's ver 2000 and Dreamcast's ver 2000.1 (as they're the ones I can play on my gaming rig, Supermodel doesn't get on pretty well with the latest* AMD drivers apparently).

I must admit that it's a game that aged well, better than I used to remember actually... And it made me want to play a "Road to International Cup" campaign with Virtua Striker 3 ver. 2002 now.

*released from 2014 onwards

Ive actually stuck with Nioh 2. Weird bc I hate hard games. But combat is incredibly satisfying. Still praying I dont hit a wall but im 65% in the game so far before endgame. Ive enjoyed this combat so much that i downloaded the final fantasy game from the same dev. So far the combat is pretty good. Reviews are mixed bc of story and cringy-ness but i skip all that and theres a less hardcore nioh game there if you enjoy combat and ignore everything else

just downloaded WoLong Fallen Dynasty demo from the same dev , game releases in gamepass next week. Also have been having fun With the combat

One 10 minutes match in €Commerce2023, 3 friendly matches in Fifa23 both on my Console and WWE2k22on my Series x too.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Its a newer Ubisoft title, so on Default you get shit loads of trash all over your screen, levelling guns and other weirdness.

With no Hud, Extreme Difficulty and injuries set to Always - this is one of the best co-op games I have played in years!

I just saw a video of this few days ag, looks bang up my street. Like Arma or something like that.

Finally the time has come! Valheim on Xbox.
What a treat that is! Simple yet beautiful graphics, with amazing weather effects.
Gives me World of Warcraft vanilla vibes.
Just starting, but I already know - it will be a great journey!
Pity all my survival/crafting mates are on Playstation.. they are missing out on a little gem.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Just purchased the game for PC. Gonna play with my best friend. We completed Ghost Recon Wildlands during the pandemic, and became by far my favorite game ever. Mixing up Andes mountains, Black Hawks + Mexico is a kryptonite for me.

People say it's quite a downhill (game plot and stuff) from GRW to GRB, let's see.

People say it's quite a downhill (game plot and stuff) from GRW to GRB, let's see.
Story wise - very much so. Voice acting is quite poor, missions are samey, world is very sterile and empty, cutscenes are terrible (I think its the first game ever where I really wanted to skip all the cutscenes)

But

Gameplay is fantastic. Very smooth. Injury system is great. I really recommend going with hardcore settings , coz they are not as scary as they look when you are setting it up.
Plus - if you have someone to play with - thats a winner. Even if story is flat as a pancake - playing it with a mate(s) is brilliant.

Story wise - very much so. Voice acting is quite poor, missions are samey, world is very sterile and empty, cutscenes are terrible (I think its the first game ever where I really wanted to skip all the cutscenes)

But

Gameplay is fantastic. Very smooth. Injury system is great. I really recommend going with hardcore settings , coz they are not as scary as they look when you are setting it up.
Plus - if you have someone to play with - thats a winner. Even if story is flat as a pancake - playing it with a mate(s) is brilliant.
First hour playing, both of us felt we were playing The Division as a Ghost Recon cameo. JUST WRONG. But we will keep on playing 🤪

Just finished Wo Long from gamepass. I really enjoyed it. Had no clue what was going on with the story but the combat was satisfying. Wish it had more variance in enemies and some QoL aspects had carried over from nioh. It’s basically a parry game, not as fleshed out as sekiro.
Some bosses were bullsh*t but beating them after a few or sometimes much more tries felt great. I think Nioh 2 is a better game but this one was easier and simpler (felt more barebones). Now I have to try to go back to nioh as i left it at 75% and relearn all the muscle memory patterns

I recommend it though as I found it approachable, just don’t get discouraged with the first boss. Ng+ seems crappy though, just difficult for the sake of being difficult

its always the “this is impossible im never gonna beat this guy”, and then 20 deaths later “nailed it”

Alright, for the first time I decided to get a WWE game. I was watching a bit of this show back in late 80s, early 90s so I don't have a clue in general. I must admit I really like WWE 2k23. It's fun. I really don't know what's going with all these modes and categories. I feel like someone who has never played a basketball videogame and you throw him right away in MyLeague NBA2k. 😀
I've started a MyGM mode and it's like teaching my children to play Crusader Kings, Stellaris or Victoria. 😬
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I guess hardcore fans of the show (I'm quite sure this is not a sport, it's all staged?) will complain about many things. As a casual I'm having a blast. I don't even care if I'm losing fights or whatever, I'm treating the game as a show.

Last edited:
Dead Island defenitive edition on my console. What da hell is this a blody game. Bought it for 4,49€ on xbox store.

And also I was playing SW: Jedi Fallen Order ( on my xbox sx too) to finish it befor the launch of SW: Jedi Survivor. But had some trouble to finish Kashyyk. Need more time...

Been playing Mass Effect for a few weeks, absolutely loving it.

In terms of sci-fi, whilst I will always say Half-life was the greatest and the game that changed gaming for me, this trilogy is up there.

Love the characters and the story.

FD

I havent played anything else since Valheim released on Xbox. Over 100hrs done there already. Absolutely phenomenal game and recommend to anybody with Xbox to give it a go.... just wait another week or two...

There's a bug currently on Xbox with game saves. They can be corrupted and will reset your world to day 1.
Whatever you built - and you will build a shit ton of stuff - gone, like fart in the wind.
Bug hasnt happened to me on series X yet (apparently the weaker xbox the quicker it happens), but their attempts to eliminate this bug so far brought more bad than good. Currently - the game crashes on almost every auto-save. So for me, who havent had big issues so far - its almost unplayable now, after their "fix".
Anyways - early access, game is absolutely fucking amazing, so Im just gonna wait for the proper fix and return to it.
Also - apart from that one, admittedly, huge fucking bug - I havent experienced any other ones, which for an early access game is pretty crazy (in comparison to all AAA fully released games lately)

Now just have to find something to play in the meantime.

I havent played anything else since Valheim released on Xbox. Over 100hrs done there already. Absolutely phenomenal game and recommend to anybody with Xbox to give it a go.... just wait another week or two...

There's a bug currently on Xbox with game saves. They can be corrupted and will reset your world to day 1.
Whatever you built - and you will build a shit ton of stuff - gone, like fart in the wind.
Bug hasnt happened to me on series X yet (apparently the weaker xbox the quicker it happens), but their attempts to eliminate this bug so far brought more bad than good. Currently - the game crashes on almost every auto-save. So for me, who havent had big issues so far - its almost unplayable now, after their "fix".
Anyways - early access, game is absolutely fucking amazing, so Im just gonna wait for the proper fix and return to it.
Also - apart from that one, admittedly, huge fucking bug - I havent experienced any other ones, which for an early access game is pretty crazy (in comparison to all AAA fully released games lately)

Now just have to find something to play in the meantime.

Valheim is an incredible game and probably one of the best multiplayer online games I played.
It was so good going through the game with mates and it has such good progression throughout, where you have to move to the next level before going to the next biome.

It was incredible, kept meaning to go back to it when Mistlands was released but we never got round to it.
I am sure we will though at some point.

It was incredible, kept meaning to go back to it when Mistlands was released but we never got round to it.
You might as well wait until Ashlands and Deep North are released. As far as I know - Ashland is fairly far in development. Besides - if you "unlock" Ashlands and Deep North before its actually released - you'll have to start new game for them to be updated.

But yeah - fantastic game. Im blown away by building mechanics.
Even tho whole system seems simple and... minecraft'y at first glance - the physics, support system and the amount of blocks combinations make you feel like you put every single brick yourself when you finish.🤯

You might as well wait until Ashlands and Deep North are released. As far as I know - Ashland is fairly far in development. Besides - if you "unlock" Ashlands and Deep North before its actually released - you'll have to start new game for them to be updated.

But yeah - fantastic game. Im blown away by building mechanics.
Even tho whole system seems simple and... minecraft'y at first glance - the physics, support system and the amount of blocks combinations make you feel like you put every single brick yourself when you finish.🤯
The building mechanics are definitely the best of any game I have played - Never played Minecraft never appealed to me.

I had a google for Ashlands and Deep North and the latest seems to be a late 2023 early 2024 release date, which is a shame really.
The developers massively worked on patches and quality of life improvements when the game was released and took so long to release Mistlands, it overrun by absolute months before it was finally released.

It is a shame that a lot of these games state development paths and fall so far behind on them, as it is the same with V-Rising which was another incredible game from last year - That has a whole area greyed out with the potential for new bosses and features, but instead they are concentrating on new building elements rather than expanding the game to make it bigger and longer.

Sons of the Forest is the next game on our list to start playing next, as online people state that is the best online survival game ever made, which I kind of doubt.
DayZ Epoch will always probably be my favourite as don't think I ever played a game as much as that, just disappointing that the full release DayZ was just over complicated and a poor version of the game - The mods helped but it was never as good as Epoch.

As for Valheim building all I ever managed to do was a two storey house with rooms which a bit too small, as found that smaller rooms gave a higher comfort level.
Some people have created absolute masterpieces, which must of taken them absolute hours:

2089-1671279737-873157732.jpeg

I heard very good things about V-rising, but I also heard very bad things about Sons of the Forest. First one was a bit meh for me and a lot of people said second is more shallow.

Im gonna give Grounded proper bash, while waiting for Valheim patch, coz last time I only looked at it and it has great reviews.

Been playing Sons of the Forest this week for about 4-5 hours and must admit it isn't the greatest.
I don't think I am anywhere near started, but also there seems to be very little skills tree and development.
You just get lucky on what you find and where, so I found the 3D printer instantly which gives the mask to allow you to enter cannibal villages, which is something you probably shouldn't get straight away, also got a gun instantly.

Also found an electric unicycle which is pretty cool and allows you to move around quickly.

Shouldn't judge a game like this after a couple of hours, but TBH I just don't feel like continuing in the slightest.
I will give it a couple more nights this week, but personally think I will be switching it off after this week and trying something new.

Keep meaning to get back into DayZ and trying it with multiple mods, but last time I played that they just made it stupidly over complicated and removed a lot of the fun.
But I am sure there is some fun to have in it with a heavily modded server.

Despite loads of these type of games being released regularly there are actually very few gems.
Valheim, 7 Days to Die, DayZ Epoch, Ark, V-Rising are about the only ones which have been worthwhile playing.

Despite loads of these type of games being released regularly there are actually very few gems.
Valheim, 7 Days to Die, DayZ Epoch, Ark, V-Rising are about the only ones which have been worthwhile playing.
Id add Green Hell (which is very complex and underrated) Subnautica (very atmospheric and scary at times) and my newly discovered Grounded (savage game, very immersive)

Not tried Green Hell but have it in my Steam for some reason, must of purchased when very cheap one day.
I am not sure if tried Grounded - Is it the Honey I Shrunk the Kids game type game?

Might try and get my mate to try Green Hell next, but if V-Rising comes to Xbox I highly recommend it the view and gameplay takes a bit of getting used to but the progression and bosses are excellent.

I am not sure if tried Grounded - Is it the Honey I Shrunk the Kids game type game
Yes! I tried it before, when it was very early access and I found it very clunky and frustrating.
This time it clicked. They added a lot of new "biomes", like sandpit being a 'desert' and fallen bbq being a 'volcanic' place. Its actually gas game! :LOL:

Green Hell takes survival to another level. You dont just eat food. You need to eat proteins and carbs and fats, to keep it ballanced. And you need to manage your sanity, coz you'll start going insane and have hallucinations. Also - you have to inspect your body for wounds, bites and leeches.
Its very deep, to a point that some find it over the top. But it feels fresh and different because of it.

Back
Top Bottom