PC Gaming

I just wanted to say thank you for giving me the push to go for a self made build.
Following that video I have been successful without any trouble:

I have spent quite some more than the price of that pre built PC I was showing, but I have now an incredible PC that should be on par with 4k gaming for the years to come and that is fully upgradable. The price increase mostly come from my decision to go for a lot of ssd memory (1T M2, 2x 2T M2, 2T 2.5) because I hate having to delete a game to be able to add a new one. I also broke the bank to go for a RTX4080 (MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO) that was for a couple of days at its MSRP here in Switzerland. I know this card doesn't have good reputation because of its high price for performance ratio for a new generation card, but compared to the 3090, it worth the extra 50 bucks (the 3090ti is even a bit more expensive).

That is a very good build.
An awful lot of SSD's in there.

The only reason the 4080 has a bad rep, is not that it is a bad card - It isn't - It is the 2nd best card on the market.
It just gets slated as it is priced so badly - Not worth the increase over the 3090Ti, but priced to high so not worth getting compared to the 4090.

I would probably look at getting an AIO cooler as well over an Air cooler - They are better at cooling and make the system look a lot cleaner and nicer.

I just wanted to say thank you for giving me the push to go for a self made build.

I have spent quite some more than the price of that pre built PC I was showing, but I have now an incredible PC that should be on par with 4k gaming for the years to come and that is fully upgradable. The price increase mostly come from my decision to go for a lot of ssd memory (1T M2, 2x 2T M2, 2T 2.5) because I hate having to delete a game to be able to add a new one. I also broke the bank to go for a RTX4080 (MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO) that was for a couple of days at its MSRP here in Switzerland. I know this card doesn't have good reputation because of its high price for performance ratio for a new generation card, but compared to the 3090, it worth the extra 50 bucks (the 3090ti is even a bit more expensive).

Those parts look like a great PC man! Congrats. Happy you took the jump, which kinda sucks for me bc I've been browsing pre-builts and now I think once my time to get a new one comes Ill have to make the jump too into building one. Good thing about it is a few years you can just start updating parts. I have a pre-built now and Im screwed bc everything is proprietary so there are very few parts I can salvage, I think I cant even use the case.
Thanks for the video will def bookmark it

32689B58-7B8D-4E47-AFD5-B2D46633D7B6.gif
congrats to that amazing build! 💪
Im sure you’ll have a very good time for the coming years. I’m using a pure base 500 as well. 😊

This is my baseline results at PassMark:
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=169717153214

The gaming performances and experience are incredible. Rdr2 on 4k ultra with all the custom settings set to max (except msaa) runs at 75+ FPS. Strangely, the performance displayed by shadow play returns extremely low CPU usage (<3%). Is it something you ever heard about @bsmaff ? Not that I care about a number on a screen, but it surprised me.

Edit: It seems like their is a discrepancy between what geforce (<3%) and task manager (>40%) are reporting.

Last edited:
I am currently using at 6800 XT and I’m satisfied with it. Running 1440 triples around 100-120fps.
Today I got an offer for an Nvidia 3090 for €850 (3 month old).
Would you guys do the upgrade? Yes, no, pros, cons, your opinion?!

I am currently using at 6800 XT and I’m satisfied with it. Running 1440 triples around 100-120fps.
Today I got an offer for an Nvidia 3090 for €850 (3 month old).
Would you guys do the upgrade? Yes, no, pros, cons, your opinion?!

Absolutely no. The brand new 7900XTX is much better than even 3090TI in performance. It's only €100 expensive than the used 3090(non-TI) you told of.

Yes. I had a nice conversation with the seller and did not buy the card in the end.
Good choice.
The 3090 is not worth 850 notes these days, I would expect the 3090Ti to be around the 850 mark by now.

The 7900XTX is a much better product at £1000, but good luck in ever finding one at this price.
If you could get a 3090Ti for around 750 then I would possibly bite, but not till then.

Motherboard arrived yesterday so finally got to put the new build together, all went great except the RAM, refuses to post at all if I put the sticks in A2/B2 as they're supposed to be, will post if I put them in A1/A2 but shows errors in memtest and when I tried to run Cinebench my PC immediately shuts down. If I put the sticks in separately then they run fine, each will complete a full memtest run in about an hour with no errors.

It's annoying as I was super careful to order compatible RAM for this motherboard :(

1671699128300.png
1671699152922.png

Fortunately I have until Jan 31st to arrange a return with Amazon so I'll just use 1 stick for now and try to source an alternative 2x16gb that's on the compatibility list.

Edit: Just to add yes of course I downloaded the latest bios as soon as the computer booted up!

Motherboard arrived yesterday so finally got to put the new build together, all went great except the RAM, refuses to post at all if I put the sticks in A2/B2 as they're supposed to be, will post if I put them in A1/A2 but shows errors in memtest and when I tried to run Cinebench my PC immediately shuts down. If I put the sticks in separately then they run fine, each will complete a full memtest run in about an hour with no errors.

It's annoying as I was super careful to order compatible RAM for this motherboard :(

View attachment 193743
View attachment 193744

Fortunately I have until Jan 31st to arrange a return with Amazon so I'll just use 1 stick for now and try to source an alternative 2x16gb that's on the compatibility list.

Edit: Just to add yes of course I downloaded the latest bios as soon as the computer booted up!
Are you running the RAM with XMP enabled?
If so disable it and then see if RAM is still faulty.

Since upgrading my PC to 13th Gen Intel the XMP settings are incorrect.

Are you running the RAM with XMP enabled?
If so disable it and then see if RAM is still faulty.

Since upgrading my PC to 13th Gen Intel the XMP settings are incorrect.

I've tried both XMP and auto, if I put it in A1/A2 Auto + speed set to 4800mhz it'll boot to windows then the PC instantly shuts down if I start Cinebench and in Memtest it was full of errors instantly.

Hmm so the Cinebench reboot issue apparently isn't RAM related, just tried running it for the first time with the one stick and same thing PC shuts down and restarts...

So it seems I have two issues to resolve :(

Hmm so the Cinebench reboot issue apparently isn't RAM related, just tried running it for the first time with the one stick and same thing PC shuts down and restarts...

So it seems I have two issues to resolve :(

I wouldn't change the RAM speed, let it run at absolute lowest speed and see if it gets issues.
The XMP on my RAM these days thinks I have 3600 DDR4, but I have 3200 and my machine kept crashing.

It seems there is a bug with the 13th Gen processors, as system worked perfectly with 12th Gen.

My RAM is now underclocked for it to work correctly.

Ok thanks I'll try that, at least I know Cinebench crashing my PC isn't related to the RAM problem so can set that aside for now, I ran Novabench which worked fine, nice to see the upgrade versus my old system!

1671717009902.png
1671717054190.png

I see a lot of people usually go with the mid ATX tower.
I was wondering if I get a Micro ATX tower is taht ok. Im asking both heat wise and if I want to get something like a 6700XT/6800XT. I understand I need a motherboard for that size, I dont plan to overclock or add 128GB of ram or anything fancy. Would just like to get into 2K gaming eventually.
Or should I just get a bigger tower for the ease of installing and heat dissipation? Mostly because I want to hide the computer and the smaller the better

I have never had a Micro ATX tower.
I had a normal ATX tower but now have a full tower , as a full tower knock about 10c of the CPU temp.
When I had a normal ATX tower the PC always felt warm, where with a full tower it is nice and cool.

Whats that program that everyone uses to monitor cpu usage and temps and fps? The one that is all the YouTube videos when they are running game benchmarks?

Merry Xmas all

OK boys and gals, so I'm hoping to start building a new PC this month, I've decided to take the plunge now that papinho81 did it.
Now @bsmaff and the rest of the people Ill be posting questions here and there. Just trying to get my parts ready. For now Im aiming at 2K gaming (will purchase a new tv for superbowl sunday hopefully when the mrs is out of town). Again I would love a lot of power but budget and as a first PC Im aiming for one of the new intel 13th gen (13500 or a AMD 7600X?) and a 6700XT. Would a 650W PSU be OK?
Also decided to go with a midtower ATX , larger but I think it will give me more options and at least better cooling.
Hope to start buying things soon.

OK boys and gals, so I'm hoping to start building a new PC this month, I've decided to take the plunge now that papinho81 did it.
Now @bsmaff and the rest of the people Ill be posting questions here and there. Just trying to get my parts ready. For now Im aiming at 2K gaming (will purchase a new tv for superbowl sunday hopefully when the mrs is out of town). Again I would love a lot of power but budget and as a first PC Im aiming for one of the new intel 13th gen (13500 or a AMD 7600X?) and a 6700XT. Would a 650W PSU be OK?
Also decided to go with a midtower ATX , larger but I think it will give me more options and at least better cooling.

If you're building a new PC now, would look at getting a 13th Gen Intel and DDR5 (unless you have DDR4 still kicking around)
I would get the highest Wattage PSU you can find for the money, but make sure it is gold rated and Tier 1 or above.
Again GFX card when you know your budget then let everyone know and try and get the best one possible for the price - You may even get lucky and get a 3000 series founders edition new.

I have a 12GB 6700XT and a 650W PSU, AMD Ryzen 7 5800x CPU.
PC is liquid cooled.

If you're building a new PC now, would look at getting a 13th Gen Intel and DDR5 (unless you have DDR4 still kicking around)
I would get the highest Wattage PSU you can find for the money, but make sure it is gold rated and Tier 1 or above.
Again GFX card when you know your budget then let everyone know and try and get the best one possible for the price - You may even get lucky and get a 3000 series founders edition new.

I'm also leaning more for Intel 13 gen vs AMD. Seems in the last few years they have good price -performance ratio vs AMD. Had not considered DDR5 bc in my mind it was very expensive, so I just added random ddr4 memory from the list in my pcpartpicker . Ill check ddr5 and see if it fits my budget (is the performance increase really worth it?)
Seems getting a reference card 3000 will be hard. I would aim for a 3060Ti or a 3070 but seems those are very hard to get. Unless I keep waiting but then who knows... for now Amazon has a XFX 6700 XT for a price Im willing to pay

I have a 12GB 6700XT and a 650W PSU, AMD Ryzen 7 5800x CPU.
PC is liquid cooled.

Do you need liquid cooling? Im actually finding out if I can survive with a stock cooler until I build the PC and then see if I get a normal better fan .
Thanks for the info, have an eye on a 650W one

I'm also leaning more for Intel 13 gen vs AMD. Seems in the last few years they have good price -performance ratio vs AMD. Had not considered DDR5 bc in my mind it was very expensive, so I just added random ddr4 memory from the list in my pcpartpicker . Ill check ddr5 and see if it fits my budget (is the performance increase really worth it?)
Seems getting a reference card 3000 will be hard. I would aim for a 3060Ti or a 3070 but seems those are very hard to get. Unless I keep waiting but then who knows... for now Amazon has a XFX 6700 XT for a price Im willing to pay

Do you need liquid cooling? Im actually finding out if I can survive with a stock cooler until I build the PC and then see if I get a normal better fan .

Liquid cooling not expensive, have never had a pc like this, it does not know the meaning of getting warm !

If I was building a new PC now, would only buy DDR5.
There is absolutely no reason to go DDR4, you would be restricting yourself to having absolutely no future proofing.

If you can get a GFX card a 3070 or even a 2nd hand 3080 would be ideal - Not sure about prices in US but a 3080 2nd hand is only worth about £500.

As for liquid cooling it has many more advantages over air cooling - Mainly it makes your pc so much better looking.
Cooling performance is better but not by much compared to the high end air coolers + AIO coolers are noisier.

Back
Top Bottom