PC Gaming

My new PC pumps out so much heat it's crazy, it adds about 10c to the temp of my room, guess it's a cheap way to heat in winter! There's been days I've been gaming and despite it being -5c outside I've had to open the window my room gets so hot, without any heating on in the room! I think the AIO and system fans are just that efficient, my understanding is that the new Intel CPUs run pretty hot anyway and mine doesn't go over about 70c when gaming.

My new PC pumps out so much heat it's crazy, it adds about 10c to the temp of my room, guess it's a cheap way to heat in winter! There's been days I've been gaming and despite it being -5c outside I've had to open the window my room gets so hot, without any heating on in the room! I think the AIO and system fans are just that efficient, my understanding is that the new Intel CPUs run pretty hot anyway and mine doesn't go over about 70c when gaming.

Yes, same here except the +10°c in my room, but I am playing in my living room, so probably more space to heat here. With the dark rock pro 4, the game that gives me higher CPU temperature is FIFA23, which reaches 68°C in cut scenes. Fans are running close to 80%, but they are really not loud. The loudest thing in my set up is..... 🥁 🥁 🥁 ....... my GPU. Not because of its fans, they are really silent and keeping the thing always bellow 70 °C. But man, now I know what coil whine is. It is not of the loudest type you can find on the web, but certainly the noisiest/strangest noise part of my PC when FPS are high or on some games. FIFA 23 gives me the most coil whine. I have some with RDR2 particularly when watching the full moon at night. I am playing most of the time with a headset, so the sound is barely noticeable. But listening close to the case you can hear it buzzing. For the record my card is a MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO.

I have paired my PC with a lg oled 48c2 (my self 40 yo birthday present (they were crazy price cut here in Switzerland, 800CHF) ) and I am now in gaming even (with bees sometimes around). The picture quality is insane compared to my previous TV (a tcl 43p615) for watching series but also for gaming. Gsynch and the low input lag makes it incredibly responsive and fluid. All these had a cost of course, which ended being quite higher than what I was planning to put at beginning (to balance things out, I sold my old tv, my RTX3060 ti and my Series X (I was never using it)), but I feel like I am set up for quite some time now.

@el niche I think if you can afford it, go with DDR5. It doesn't get you much performance increase over DDR4 at the moment, but as @bsmaff said it will guaranty your build to be ready for potential future upgrades. Good luck with your build!

Last edited:
Yes, same here except the +10°c in my room, but I am playing in my living room, so probably more space to heat here. With the dark rock pro 4, the game that gives me higher CPU temperature is FIFA23, which reaches 68°C in cut scenes. Fans are running close to 80%, but they are really not loud. The loudest thing in my set up is..... 🥁 🥁 🥁 ....... my GPU. Not because of its fans, they are really silent and keeping the thing always bellow 70 °C. But man, now I know what coil whine is. It is not of the loudest type you can find on the web, but certainly the noisiest/strangest noise part of my PC when FPS are high or on some games. FIFA 23 gives me the most coil whine. I have some with RDR2 particularly when watching the full moon at night. I am playing most of the time with a headset, so the sound is barely noticeable. But listening close to the case you can hear it buzzing. For the record my card is a MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GAMING X TRIO.

I have paired my PC with a lg oled 48c2 (my self 40 yo birthday present (they were crazy price cut here in Switzerland, 800CHF) ) and I am now in gaming even (with bees sometimes around). The picture quality is insane compared to my previous TV (a tcl 43p615) for watching series but also for gaming. Gsynch and the low input lag makes it incredibly responsive and fluid. All these had a cost of course, which ended being quite higher than what I was planning to put at beginning (to balance things out, I sold my old tv, my RTX3060 ti and my Series X (I was never using it)), but I feel like I am set up for quite some time now.

@el niche I think if you can afford it, go with DDR5. It doesn't get you much performance increase over DDR4 at the moment, but as @bsmaff said it will guaranty your build to be ready for potential future upgrades. Good luck with your build!

Will do with the DDR5, I checked prices and I think its doable, although most sell is 16x2 , so I guess Ill go that route. Maybe 16GB doesnt cut it and will prob be better in the long run with 32GB

Quick dumb question @bsmaff and fellow pc builders.
If I get a 600-series motherboard for the 13th gen intel. Will I for sure have to flash a BIOS update? Can this be done without any other hardware (I mean just a USB will do) or do I need another older chip to do it?
Also, is a 13600 is the same as the 13600K just that the 13600k can be OC'd? Meaning if I dont touch the 13600K it would basically be a 13600 with the same voltage/power draw and all?

Thanks

If you buy a 600 series motherboard then you would probably need to update the bios.
Some boards have the ability of updating the bios via USB without a processor being inserted, others sometimes need a compatible processor inserted to be upgraded.

TBH there is not much difference between the 600 series boards and the 700 series boards, except the 700 series boards have been reported to have cheaper AUDIO codecs put on them to save costs.
Whilst the 700 series have more PCI 4 lanes.

Quick dumb question @bsmaff and fellow pc builders.
If I get a 600-series motherboard for the 13th gen intel. Will I for sure have to flash a BIOS update? Can this be done without any other hardware (I mean just a USB will do) or do I need another older chip to do it?
Also, is a 13600 is the same as the 13600K just that the 13600k can be OC'd? Meaning if I dont touch the 13600K it would basically be a 13600 with the same voltage/power draw and all?

Thanks

My non expert opinion on a k vs a non k CPU as a i7 13th gen k owner. Those new CPU run hot and as much as you might never need to overclock it, you might want to undervolt it to keep it cooler. My CPU temperature have decreased by 12 degrees celsius after a -0.1v undervolt, for almost no performance lost.

I believe non k voltage can't be tweaked.

My non expert opinion on a k vs a non k CPU as a i7 13th gen k owner. Those new CPU run hot and as much as you might never need to overclock it, you might want to undervolt it to keep it cooler. My CPU temperature have decreased by 12 degrees celsius after a -0.1v undervolt, for almost no performance lost.

I believe non k voltage can't be tweaked.

How hot does your CPU get?
Mine idles at mid-high 20's, when running games will occasionally jump to mid 60s but normal gaming it sits on about 40c.

How hot does your CPU get?
Mine idles at mid-high 20's, when running games will occasionally jump to mid 60s but normal gaming it sits on about 40c.

Mine idles around 35c and goes between 50c and 65c while playing FIFA23 or RdR2 on max settings 4k (gsync up to a max of 120hz for FIFA and around 75 for Rdr2) with some peaks to 75-80c during cut scenes. My CPU fans are set to silent (dark rock pro 4 air cooler) mode though and this was before I undervolt the CPU.
But yesterday I decided to give cinebench R23 a go and it gave me a score of 29000 during the shortest test while review announced a score of 31000 for my CPU. It ended that temperature went really high quickly, reaching 100c and thus throttling (my case fans, x4 sw4 pro set to the middle setting, are getting their control from the system 1 spot, which doesn't really correlate with the CPU temp, so some room for tweaking here too). With the 0.1 undervolt IAM getting a max temperature of 92c at the end of the 10min stress test with a score of 30500. So not bad with an air cooler. I still have to test the changes in temperature while gaming, but idles is at the temperature of 35c.

Edit: Max CPU temperature spot is at 68°c while playing Rdr2 for an hour now after the undervolt (monitored with HWINFO64).

Last edited:
Is it possible to record/capture a video game played with a variable refresh rate wihtout lag/frame skipped? Shadowplay and OBS both look really twitchy (capturing at 60 fps).

New PC built over the weekend.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming Wifi motherboard and 32GB DD5 Memory.

Old components now on eBay and hopefully will lose minimal amount of money.
Although had to downgrade from 64GB to 32GB and the motherboard ending up costing more than expected.

But least now PC is done and will remain the same for a couple of years now, as won't upgrade to 14th Gen this year and 4090 is so powerful, I doubt will ever need to upgrade this until the next consoles come out - Even then I doubt the PS6 would be able to touch the 4090.

Although had to downgrade from 64GB to 32GB and the motherboard ending up costing more than expected.

But least now PC is done and will remain the same for a couple of years now, as won't upgrade to 14th Gen this year and 4090 is so powerful, I doubt will ever need to upgrade this until the next consoles come out - Even then I doubt the PS6 would be able to touch the 4090.
I just ordered my parts and hope to put this together next week. I adjusted to my budget but wanted to ask you if for someone who doesnt OC, will the cooler that comes with the ryzen 7600 (not X)be enough. Im pairing with a red devil 6750xt. That will be ok for 2k gaming?

I just ordered my parts and hope to put this together next week. I adjusted to my budget but wanted to ask you if for someone who doesnt OC, will the cooler that comes with the ryzen 7600 (not X)be enough. Im pairing with a red devil 6750xt. That will be ok for 2k gaming?

The default coolers are perfectly fine just never overclock

Random question, does anyone use Plex? I've got an external hard drive connected to my HTPC, and want something to easily sort all my media. I'm not bothered about accessing it anywhere else, and have put Kodi on for the moment but really aren't a fan.

EDIT: Installed Plex Server and HTPC, much nicer than Kodi :)

Last edited:

Upgrading to AM5 right before the Release of the new 7000X3D CPUs is not a thing i would do 😅

Upgrading to AM5 right before the Release of the new 7000X3D CPUs is not a thing i would do 😅
I didn’t upgrade to AM5, just changed my motherboard to DDR5.
So got a Z790 motherboard instead of Z690.

But won’t upgrade now for a couple of years, as upgrading components is now a very expensive hobby.

Guys, I can't believe it but this thing turned on. After procrastinating for being afraid I might screw an expensive part, I have to say one of the most satisfactory feelings was pressing the ON button and seeing the fans spin and the windows installation screen.
Thanks to @papinho81 for the youtube video he provided. I do have some quick questions :

- Do I need more fans? I currently have one fan in the front one in the back (im not overclocking). Obviously more is better, but can I survive with 2
- The GPU is heavy, is it normal to just secure it to the left side with screws to the case? I feel a bunch of the weight on the right side is not supported, cant imagine the weight of the chunky 3090 etc. Or should I put like a lego stick to hold it up a bit?
- I installed windows. Windows and the motherboard tell me the speed of my ram is 4800, I bought 5600. Should I just enable xmp to get to that number and is it worth it or might it bring some instability? Or find middle ground (like 5400). Is the difference worth it?
- Any other tip that I might be missing (such as the xmp thingy?)

Anyway, it was a nice project to do with my daughter on a rainy afternoon.

PXL_20230206_162402009.jpg

Guys, I can't believe it but this thing turned on. After procrastinating for being afraid I might screw an expensive part, I have to say one of the most satisfactory feelings was pressing the ON button and seeing the fans spin and the windows installation screen.
Thanks to @papinho81 for the youtube video he provided. I do have some quick questions :

- Do I need more fans? I currently have one fan in the front one in the back (im not overclocking). Obviously more is better, but can I survive with 2
- The GPU is heavy, is it normal to just secure it to the left side with screws to the case? I feel a bunch of the weight on the right side is not supported, cant imagine the weight of the chunky 3090 etc. Or should I put like a lego stick to hold it up a bit?
- I installed windows. Windows and the motherboard tell me the speed of my ram is 4800, I bought 5600. Should I just enable xmp to get to that number and is it worth it or might it bring some instability? Or find middle ground (like 5400). Is the difference worth it?

Anyway, it was a nice project to do with my daughter on a rainy afternoon.

View attachment 201258
I used that to sustain my chunky rtx4080

https://www.digitec.ch/fr/s1/product/jonsbo-vc-20-boitiers-pc-accessoires-19461145?supplier=406802

A bit expensive (there is surely some cheaper), but it does the job.

As for the ram speed, you surely want to activate the xmp profile in the bios. The guy at the end of the video really explain well how to do it.

More Fans are always better. It looks like you installed your Fan in the front in the Wrong way (cant tell for sure because of the angle of the Pic). Its looks like it blows out, but it should blow in. Fans in the front and in the Bottom should always blow in and Fans on the back and on the Top should always blow out. 99% of all fans are blowing in the Direction of the "Fan Grill".

Thats normal and some GPUs have a GPU standoff included. If i install a GPU i always push the GPU up and simultaneously screw the screws in. You could also stabilise the GPU with some cable management. If your PCIE cables are long enough and your case has the holes you could route the Cable upwards, then in the back and then to your PSU.
Always enable XMP. Its always worth it and it can make a big difference. The RAM is made for 5600 mhz and should support it with no problems.
Otherwise: RMA
(I dont know your components, but your Mainboard should of course support the speed too)

-That "cable management" on the Front Fan 😅
-This looks like the Stock CPU Cooler. This thing can be pretty loud.
I personally wouldnt use that one because of bad temperatures and its way too loud.
But if you satisfied with it then leave it be.

Last edited:
The only issue with the video, as didn't watch any of the building stuff is the changing of settings after Windows is installed.

Whenever I build a machine setting up the BIOS is the single first thing I do.
Set XMP and change any other settings in the BIOS which may need disabling e.g. any onboard features like onboard NIC and sound.
Save the BIOS then I would normally run MEMTest for 1 pass, which takes about 20 mins.
Then I would install the latest build of Windows 11.

Last edited:
I would also make sure I had all the drivers ready to go on USB stick, so that I didn't have to connect to internet during the installation of drivers.
This is due to the issues with Microsoft noticing drivers missing and having the habit of downloading incorrect drivers for devices.
Also the biggest help ever for installing Windows 11 - As soon as you get the Windows splash screen and it asks you to select language.
SHIFT+F10
on command prompt type OOBE\bypassnro
You will thank me later.

I would also make sure I had all the drivers ready to go on USB stick, so that I didn't have to connect to internet during the installation of drivers.
This is due to the issues with Microsoft noticing drivers missing and having the habit of downloading incorrect drivers for devices.
Also the biggest help ever for installing Windows 11 - As soon as you get the Windows splash screen and it asks you to select language.
SHIFT+F10
on command prompt type OOBE\bypassnro
You will thank me later.
I usually install windows 10 clean and before I install the updates I disable driver installation by windows. That ok?!
BIOS is set, with xmp, but I’ve not disabled unused features yet. Anything in particular I should look for; some resource hungry option?!

TBH there isn't many changes I make.
Core Optimisation is one I disable but this is mainly something that affects Intel CPU's.

Yes, I hate Windows driver installation from Windows update, it always installs really old drivers + generic ones.
XMP is the only real thing you need to enable in BIOS.
Disabling items is normally just crap on the motherboard - I always disable the NIC and onboard sound.
Always disabled the ASUS Aura, but this is very board specific to ASUS and always run ASUS Q-Fan makes a massive difference to the fan speed and optimisation of the internal cooling.

The other thing I forgot to mention as well as downloading the latest drivers on USB, I also always download the latest BIOS and install that instantly as well.

I will look more when I get home, as I do have a list somewhere of stuff I disable in Windows.
But the main thing to speed stuff up is to disable pretty much everything that runs on startup - Using msconfig

More Fans are always better. It looks like you installed your Fan in the front in the Wrong way (cant tell for sure because of the angle of the Pic). Its looks like it blows out, but it should blow in. Fans in the front and in the Bottom should always blow in and Fans on the back and on the Top should always blow out. 99% of all fans are blowing in the Direction of the "Fan Grill".
Thanks, they actually came preinstalled, I think they are ok, I feel the air blowing in, and as they say "faces suck" and the face is looking outward so its blowing air inside. But thamks, I can see how it can look that way
Thats normal and some GPUs have a GPU standoff included. If i install a GPU i always push the GPU up and simultaneously screw the screws in. You could also stabilise the GPU with some cable management. If your PCIE cables are long enough and your case has the holes you could route the Cable upwards, then in the back and then to your PSU.
Yeah I think I have a heavy cable that might be able to give it some support

Always enable XMP. Its always worth it and it can make a big difference. The RAM is made for 5600 mhz and should support it with no problems.
Otherwise: RMA
(I dont know your components, but your Mainboard should of course support the speed too)

Gonna do it tonight

-That "cable management" on the Front Fan 😅
-This looks like the Stock CPU Cooler. This thing can be pretty loud.
I personally wouldnt use that one because of bad temperatures and its way too loud.
But if you satisfied with it then leave it be.

Ha! I know that cable looks pretty bad, I took the picture before I did any cable management in case I needed to fix something... it turned on and in the end that cable stayed liked that... My PC is usually hidden so I dont mind, but next time I open it ill do something about it.
I might eventually look for another cooler, but for now Im running stock frequency, its been pretty quiet and monitoring the temps lately it seems to be at around 50-65 degrees so I think that should be OK. Ill still monitor and keep an eye out for it

Can you share some more info about that one please? Tried googling but didn't get anywhere helpful :)

Found my little Text File which has some stuff in it.

It is actually called Core Isolation which I disable, with Intel CPU's it can add 10-20% extra FPS when gaming.
Search settings - Change to classic - This stops Windows Indexing everything
Services.msc - Disable Connect user Experience and Distributed Link Tracking
Defrag - Turn Off - Always have done - But with Windows 11 this is disabled by default already
Capture Settings - Disable - Only do this as use Nvidia Shadow Play for this.
Apps Startup - Basically disable everything from loading when Windows boots.

Found my little Text File which has some stuff in it.

It is actually called Core Isolation which I disable, with Intel CPU's it can add 10-20% extra FPS when gaming.
Search settings - Change to classic - This stops Windows Indexing everything
Services.msc - Disable Connect user Experience and Distributed Link Tracking
Defrag - Turn Off - Always have done - But with Windows 11 this is disabled by default already
Capture Settings - Disable - Only do this as use Nvidia Shadow Play for this.
Apps Startup - Basically disable everything from loading when Windows boots.
So you have a small txt file too… 😂

mine is listing the steps for a fresh install and stuff I need to install and in what order. 😂 nerds! 😎

Back
Top Bottom