Serie A Thread - 2014/15 Season

Re: Serie A Thread - 2010/11 Season

Both, ManCity and Liverpool are qualifyed for the play-offs. You can not tell me the exact figures for the premiums in the Serie A and I can not tell you the ones from the EPL but according to the club spendings of both leagues, they must be similar. Therefore the non-qualification of all the Italian teams for the play-offs of EL is a disgrace. Italian clubs have no national pride if all they care for is money.

Sounds reasonable to me amigo. You were so close last season. Hopefully this season you'll go one better. :COOL:

By the way your English is very ,very good. Though I don't like seeing textspeak in written form. ;)
thanks mate. and actually you're right, i should really stop writing in textspeak as i'm starting to get too used to it, and that sometimes brings me to write like this ("u" instead of "you") also ina professional context. writing in this forum is doing wonders for my english, but i got to put more attention in theese little but important things :))
-----------------------------------------------------------
@ Ilfenomeno: money is not exactly a pressing issue for clubs like man city and liverpool, mate. God knows how much money man city wasted over the last few years... yet that doesn't seem to bother the ownership that much (for obvious reasons)... as for a club like liverpool, they have such a huge fanbase all over the world their menchandising incomes alone will probably be worth 4 times the overall palermo incomes.
as for epl figures, i don't know em either, but i know they're unbelievably higher than serie a's ones. for instance a few years ago i heard that palermo's share of the collective tv-right deal, is pretty much the same money a neopromoted\bottom of the table club gets in england, and that a serie a neo-promoted club gets pretty much what a championship club gets in england (those are just rumours i heard though, i got no official sources on this).

anyway u do have a point when u say italians don't really have a "national pride"... there are several historic reasons (reasons i won't discuss in here to save u from one of my longests posts.... and also coz it would be a monumental off topic)......
... but to be honest mate, i really don't think that's something bad... infact i like this particular aspect of italian culture.
there's an aphorism from Oscar Wilde i love: "patriotism is the virtue of the vicious".... i really couldn't agree more with it.

however, as i said to rfu, u don't pay wages wtith pride. football clubs are companies... football is a business, so money is certainly one of the most important aspects, like it or not.

i wouldn't say "we only care about the money".... it's more about showing some sense.
if europa league had a less hectic schedule, if there were no group stages, if the visibility of the competition was higher, and if our domestic league (the same stupid 20 clubs format also epl and liga have) didn't force us to play 38 matches per season..... then the italian clubs effort in europa league would definitely be more serious....
but in theese circumstances.... u either focus yourself on one competition only (and like i said, serie a is more valuable than europa league) or u have to sign extra players to be able to compete on both fronts..... but europa league related incomes don't justify such a financial commitment. it's pretty simple.

there are 2 good aspects in delivering well in a competition; the financial aspect and the glory\visibility factor.
talking about the financial aspect, europa league actually turns out to be an expense (and not a source of incomes) for italian clubs.
as for the glory\visibility\international recognition factor, just look at fulham.... they had an outstanding europa league campaign last season... they beated some great teams and played some of the most tidy, neat and beautiful football displayed by english teams last year........ and yet, what recognition they got for this? nothing. i even read someone in this forum labelling fulham's football as conservative?!?!.... and those were english fans (who should be supposed to know their clubs even better than foreign fans).

i'm sorry but the way this cup is conceived...... it's just not worthy for a serie a midclas club (the situation is obviously different for other clubs in europe).
so failing in europa league isn't seen as a disgrace in italy.... because it isn't. you don't lose much on the financial aspect (actually u're better off) and you also don't lose anything in terms of visibility and international recognition.
falling from the 5th to the 8th or 9th position in the domestic league... that would be a disgrace :))
---------------------------------------------------------------

Zeem, terrible news about thiago silva! what happened?
as for rakitic.... sweet player, i love him... but i really can't see him coming here... we already have plenty of options in his role.... plus i can't see rakitic leaving shalcke to join palermo..... the guy is top club material. :))

Last edited:

Lo zio, your explanation makes sence. I also just read that the accumulated payouts from the champions league are 15 times higher then those from the EL (600 mil vs 37 mil in the year 2009).

Stankovic injured

facepalm.jpg

Coutinho called up for the olympics, gone till Feb....

facepalm___.jpg

Inter's 2010/11 season so far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI&feature=related

It's just pathetic... and I'm not just waking up to the fact because Inter may end up 4th at seasons end, but I've been saying this for months. But this is just embarrassing. No italian side made it out of the group stage... of the EUROPA CUP :LOL:

Whatever. That's fine. Lets see Palermo or Napoli reach 3rd to get that UCL spot. Will never happen. Serie A has really screwed itself here. Watch and see. I don't understand why it is so difficult to take a couple of serie b players on loan to enlarge your squad. Palermo went about it the right way with Maccarone and Pinilla. If only they had got a decent CB and full backs.

Anyway, good news is serie a just got that harder, especially for those of us still in Europe. Can't wait till May 2011, it won't be pretty.

Brilliant rfu, just like the Inter of old that I sorely miss, please stick with Rafa, he's great:P

Yeah I can't see Rakitic going to Sicily either.

If he leaves Schalke which looks very likely now, I think it'll be to a more 'glamorous' club.

From 2012 we will only have 2 automatically qualifying Italian teams in the Champions League. Galliani today:

a partire dal 2012 avremo solo due squadre italiane in Champions". Questione di ranking Uefa: "È un danno per il nostro calcio - aggiunge piccato - e di questo dobbiamo 'ringraziare' chi ha giocato in Europa Legue"

"Starting in 2012, we'll only have 2 Italian teams in Champions." About the UEFA rankings: "It's damaging our football - we should 'thank' those that have played in Europa League"

Last edited:

Should we thank Galliani's AC Milan team of 2008-9, the one that only made it to the round of 32 in the UEFA Cup that year ?

Juventus havent taken the competition seriously this season, Milan didn't last time they were there, so the big teams don't exactly take is seriously do they ? (Maybe you can make an exception for Inter who got to the Quarter finals last time (vs Marseille in 2004) but that was so long ago it's no longer counted for the co-efficient).

indeed. very hypocrite of galliani to blame it on midlcass clubs.... how many coefficent points did milan bring home in the last few years?... it's not like they have done well in champions league\uefa cup either.
he missed a good chance to shut up....:TD:

btw, adriano won the "bidone d'oro"..... again!!! :LOL:

Last edited:

I think the difference he's trying to make is that our CL teams often go as far as the German teams go, but in the EL, we always fall behind them, no matter which Italian team is participating.

fair enough. but then again, it's always been like that, ever since the beginning of this decade. german clubs have always done better than italian clubs in uefa cup\europa league, while italian clubs have always done better than their german counterparts in champions league.

the reason why we began to lose points was because, from 2006 on calciopoli hit juve and berlusconi changed his strategic approach (milan spent less money and didn't deliver in CL as it used to).

there was a drop in our champions league results, and that costed us our place in the ranking.
that's why i said CL is the turf where we have to get those uefa coefficient points required to overtake bundi again. :))

Read this today: "Ci sono tre modi per calciare le punizioni: di precisione, di potenza o alla Del Piero". I love Fabio Caressa. He basically said "There are 3 ways of taking a free kick: precision, power or Del Piero."

Del Piero's freekick yesterday was awesome and how great is Krasic!!! Juve made an epic choice choosing him over Diego.

and yeah that was a very wrong thing from Galliani but you can get his anger, it could cost him a lot of money in the future but why did he say 2 spots?

EL has blame for this but last season the CL did a lot of damage. Juve went out of the group stages to bayern when they could have eliminated them(that is 4 cofficient points), bayern then eliminated fiorentina(1 point), and this year sampdoria lost to werder bremen in the qualifiying round(4 coff points). Avoiding those could have kept Serie A out of danger for a while. That is the messed up thing, surviving the group state in both competitions makes more points or as much as going from the 16 round to the final.

Last edited:

He means 2 teams with automatic qualification. We have to thank Inter for doing so well last year, and hope that they don't just die in Europe.

I think the difference he's trying to make is that our CL teams often go as far as the German teams go, but in the EL, we always fall behind them, no matter which Italian team is participating.

I think you could say the English teams don't do so well in the UEFA / EL either. They do a little better than Italian teams, but not enough to mean it's only UEFA/Europa League that is the differential factor - it has also to be the poor performance of Italian teams in the CL.

Just looking at UEFA teams, not CL drop outs
2006-7

Newcastle, Blackburn, Tottenham

Parma, Livorno .

The only team to make it to the QF was Tottenham

2007-8

Everton, Bolton

Fiorentina,

Fiorentina make it to the semis (inc beating Everton). This despite the other Italian teams not even making the group stage.

2008-9

Man City, Tottenham, Villa

Udinese, Samp, Milan

Both Udinese and Man City get to QFs

2009-10

Fulham, Everton,

Roma,

Fulham get to final[/i]

La Viola were very unlucky not to get into the final that year. Rangers used catenaccio against the Italians to knock them out on penalties.

When a team is that many times "unlucky" like Fiorentina, there is something wrong with that team...a constant lack of luck is not a lack of luck.

The way Inter are deteriorating while Juventus and Milan are improving, we could see a return to old school, pre-Calciopoli Serie A.

didn't watch the game but I heard we were absolutely dreadful but c'mon, we fielded our 2nd choice B team for that Werder game... That was Orlandini first official game I thing, Eto'o was only given a run out because he has a ban... Can't believe how easily we have been written off. This inter will bounce back, we just need to go 2 months injury free and then get some continuity. Bring in Cassano, a quality CMF (Montolivo or Inler) and Ranocchia and we're good to go. Remember Benito not has to do without the sort of players he needs to play the type of possession football he wants, but he's had to deal with massive/lengthy injuries... I've never seen anything like it.

Now about Sneijder omission from the FIFA/Ballon D'or top 3 nominees... WHAT THE HELL!!! Okay he's not as talented as the Messi, Iniesta or Xavi, clearly in fact, but damn, Iniesta wasn't even fit in the latter half of last season, Messi had a so-so world cup, Xavi wasn't his prominent self throughout the WC, Sneijder on the other had WAS... oh and he won a treble... seriously tho, what more did Snijder to do to warrant a nomination? I'm not even arguing that he sould have won, I'm just asking, why wasn't he nominated. Maybe because he has scored in Serie A for some months but then why include GKs and DFs in the list of nomination. Just mind boggling.

Yeah Sneijder's omission from top 3 is VERY strange! You could well argue that he should not ONLY have been a contender (Among top 3) but very well be the favourite and even win it considering the year he's had.

If I were him, I'd be seriously pissed off!! On the other hand.... whatever what's done is done... no point dwelling on it or thinking about it... but yes he sure deserved it.

Sneijder should be among the contenders. But Messi had a very good World Cup in a team with a clueless coach.

If the Ballon D'or is about the best player in the world Messi should probably win it the next 10 years. No matter how good Sneijder migth have been, Messi is the best player in the world and only Xavi comes close.

But the Ballon D'or is a useless award. Football is a team sport, individual awards in a team sport are nonsense. Messi is the best player in the world, but he can be that brilliant because players like Busquets, Touré, Xavi, Dani Alves are helping him...he wasn't helped much in the WC so his brilliance was less obvious (but he was very good, maybe just a litle bit unlucky).

And honestly, i'm not sure if Sneijder played such a good World Cup, he reached the final and scored 'lots' of goals...but IMO he was not as good as with Inter in the CL or Serie A. Despite the team result and the fact that Sneijder scored goals, Messi had a better WC than Sneijder.

And if you take goals in considering, then why not think about Milito for the Ballon D'or?

Who the hell votes on this award if all the coaches and even Platini said Sneijder should have been there? Messed up trophy.

Some interesting things happened lately. Palermo signed a highly rated defender Milan Milanovic(:D), Buffon seems to be angry for some reason, and Cassano's fate will be decided maybe today. A lot of presidents said they will not sign Cassano cause it will be disrespectful to Garrone and because the guy is nuts. I read Zeman said he wouldn't want him in his team. Things seem to go smooth for the first months because coaches bare him but after a while the coach loses his patience. Surely Del Neri will not let Juve sign him.

and LOL at this
gazdec14.jpg

Last edited:

Imo, Napoli has chances to win Scudetto this season! They learned to win in italian style: 1-0 vs Genua, 1-0 vs Palermo (very difficult game), 1-0 vs Cagliari. These are the qualities that come from Mazzarri and this is what helps Napoli to stay on track.

Besides Napoli has a strong squad, they have quality both in attack with Lavezzi and Hamsik (who's been a real leader and not only this season) and defence.

In addition, Napoli has financial means to strengthen the team. The are few problems in the center field and it is very possible that Inler from Udinese will be brought on board. Money is there, De Laurentiis is very ambitious, he really wants Napoli to play in the CL next year.

Btw, Napoli is the only Italian team that still has chances to qualify for the knock outs of the EL.

All in all, Napoli = Scudetto 2010/11 :WORSHIP:

Also here's another thing, everyone who didn't watch Juve - Lazio has really missed something. Krasic is a beauty.

And.. Juventus has by far the best middlefield in the Seria A: Aquilani, Melo, Krasic, Marchisio. The problem about Juve is that they don't have strong forwards: Amauri always injured, no idea what's happening with Iaquinta, Del Piero is ready to play only 10-20 minutes, Quagliarella is basically the only forward. As I see things, Juve needs a quality signing for the forward department because if they solve this, they are ready to fight for the 2nd CL ticket.

It would be awsome if Juve signed Benzema, I think that's the kind of a player they need right now, too bad that Benzema most likely won't come this winter.

Edit: I guess Di Vaio or Acquafresca will come but Benzema would be a dream, maybe he'll come in the summer, new stadium opening, Juve will need something flashy, Benzema's the man (or maybe Dzeko).

Last edited:

Oh, and one thing about Inter, as far as I heard if Inter doesn't win the Club WC Moratti will fire Benitez. Don't think this is a good ultimatum, because if Benitez goes, who will replace him??

The coach Genoa just sacked a couple of weeks ago...i think he's very good (but i can't remember his name).

Moratti's first choice has always been Capello. Then there is Spaletti,Zenga,or Leonardo. Leonardo is something serious as he is good friends with him and he always said Milan have a jewel in Leonardo.

I don't think Pirlo has a new position, it's just the way he plays. He is free to join the attack more with Seedorf out and he passing is more towards Robinho and Zlatan than Antonini and Seedorf now. Abate has been a great improvement this year.

Last edited:

Oh, and one thing about Inter, as far as I heard if Inter doesn't win the Club WC Moratti will fire Benitez. Don't think this is a good ultimatum, because if Benitez goes, who will replace him??

Rumoured it will be Capello. He'll pay up his contract with the FA and move on.

Rafa could return to Spain perhaps Sevilla.

Back
Top Bottom