Sony PlayStation

https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/the-matrix-is-unreal/

teaser-copy.jpg

04_city-copy.jpg

01_city-copy.jpg

I am going to try it later tonight, but will be interesting to see what resolution everything is running at and the FPS.

I await the Digital Foundry breakdown.

I didnt download the matrix tech demo but I watched it on youtube and it looks damn impressive. Like @PRO_TOO said it gives me a vibe of what GTA could be. Hope next gen can move forward not only in the graphical dept but in the AI dept as well

Hope Horizon comes to PC and I really need to finish Hellblade 1 .

Haven’t played the demo yet but seen some of it on YouTube.
Does look very good in character models and some of the buildings look great.

However it does have some weird elements like draw distance looks pretty shoddy at times and in the video I saw, frame drops are very apparent - Though this could be the YouTube video and not the game itself.
Also seemed to run slightly smoother on the Series X on the video I saw.

The main thing me though when can they sort out people walking in streets seem real?
Red Dead they seem pretty natural on this demo they are lost in the world like there is a squirrel running across a building.

Played the tech demo tonight.

Initial impressions are both bad and good.
The faces and animations are good, the amount of things going on at once are very impressive and it certainly seems like the engine has a very good future providing it is optimised.
Graphically it is certainly pretty impressive.

The downsides are the low quality textures which can be seen flashing in and out occasionally during the action scenes and when there is quite a lot going on then the textures are clearly reduced.
Frame rate for me personally was an issue, when you go out and take a car for a spin, there is very obvious frame drops and when you crash into another car there is an incredibly obvious shudder.

Did it blow me away - NO - I have seen better tech demos recently, including previous ones from Unreal Engine 5.
Very rarely have I been blown away though by graphics:-
Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast - That was incredible at the time, despite the pop ups it looked incredible for the time.
RDR2 - Xbox - I am only putting the Xbox X version here as on release and first play it looked stunning and way ahead of anything at the time.
Microsoft Flight Sim - Considering the game is world scale, and yes close up flying through New York doesn't look as good as the Unreal Demo but the grand scale of the game and how good the aircrafts look and the scenery on show - It is an absolute joy to admire the beauty of the game.

It is very early days for the Unreal Engine but with some optimisation, it is very clear to see why most developers are going to use it for the current generation of consoles.

Played the tech demo tonight.

Initial impressions are both bad and good.
The faces and animations are good, the amount of things going on at once are very impressive and it certainly seems like the engine has a very good future providing it is optimised.
Graphically it is certainly pretty impressive.

The downsides are the low quality textures which can be seen flashing in and out occasionally during the action scenes and when there is quite a lot going on then the textures are clearly reduced.
Frame rate for me personally was an issue, when you go out and take a car for a spin, there is very obvious frame drops and when you crash into another car there is an incredibly obvious shudder.

Did it blow me away - NO - I have seen better tech demos recently, including previous ones from Unreal Engine 5.
Very rarely have I been blown away though by graphics:-
Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast - That was incredible at the time, despite the pop ups it looked incredible for the time.
RDR2 - Xbox - I am only putting the Xbox X version here as on release and first play it looked stunning and way ahead of anything at the time.
Microsoft Flight Sim - Considering the game is world scale, and yes close up flying through New York doesn't look as good as the Unreal Demo but the grand scale of the game and how good the aircrafts look and the scenery on show - It is an absolute joy to admire the beauty of the game.

It is very early days for the Unreal Engine but with some optimisation, it is very clear to see why most developers are going to use it for the current generation of consoles.
I agree about the frame drops. It is particularly striking when driving at full speed.
The demo and especially the high way shooting part impressed me visually. But other than the visual and characters animations I found it quite disappointing.

Here we go lads…

edit: if I had the money… I would invite you to a holiday with Alex! two weeks of nonstop tech holidays… :)

when everybody’s talking about the FPS I just throw into the room that there is a cinematical aspect to it going 30 FPS… just saying.

Here we go lads…

edit: if I had the money… I would invite you to a holiday with Alex! two weeks of nonstop tech holidays… :)

when everybody’s talking about the FPS I just throw into the room that there is a cinematical aspect to it going 30 FPS… just saying.

Yes but cinematic films are 24FPS.

When I talked about FPS, I wasn't talking about it being 30FPS.
I was talking the game has so many noticeable frame drops, mainly when driving the car and crashing into other vehicles, it is clear as day that it drops to around 15-20FPS and anything under 30FPS just becomes incredibly noticeable.
The tech demo is fantastic and shows what is to come in the future, but it clearly needs optimising to get it to work fully on PS5/XBSX - PC version hasn't been released and I don't blame them if PS5 is struggling your average PC is going to grind to a halt.

I was impressed with it, just not blown away.
I was much more blown away by FS when I first turned that on, than the UE5 demo.

EDIT - JUST SKIPPED THROUGH VIDEO:-
Some of the scenes were purposely done at 24FPS in the cinematic parts.
As I thought the frame drops are massive when driving the car and hitting objects while doing this, but EPIC are aware of this.

The PS5 will warn me that the battery on the dualsense is low... at that point, compared to the dualshock, it seems to be a rather short charge. But if you don't recharge it the dualsense will last for an absolute age after that. So the low charge warning is very timely.

Talking about Dualsense... the battery life is pathetic . I remember previews/reviews of consoles like Marques Brownlee point that how impressed they are with the battery life and how it was better than the DS4. Now I understand that this was probably a script thrown by Sony. I have four DualSense gamepads (don't ask why :D ) and i'm not that typical gamer. I play only PES 2021 11 vs 11 time to time and I often find myself switch them due to low battery.

Talking about Dualsense... the battery life is pathetic . I remember previews/reviews of consoles like Marques Brownlee point that how impressed they are with the battery life and how it was better than the DS4. Now I understand that this was probably a script thrown by Sony. I have four DualSense gamepads (don't ask why :D ) and i'm not that typical gamer. I play only PES 2021 11 vs 11 time to time and I often find myself switch them due to low battery.
Like I said, I don't think the battery life is bad at all. The time to low battery warning seems a tad fast, but then it is fine for hours after that. They should patch a later warning into it.

Like I said, I don't think the battery life is bad at all. The time to low battery warning seems a tad fast, but then it is fine for hours after that. They should patch a later warning into it.

My PS5 controllers are the same..
Last about 30 minutes till the low battery warning then last 5 hours whilst it is flashing.

battery life without rumble compared to the dualshock 4 is noticeable better. Using the all or a lot of new rumble features in games like Astrobot can drain the battery much faster (4-6 hours). Overall the dualsense is a much better control (to me).

battery life without rumble compared to the dualshock 4 is noticeable better. Using the all or a lot of new rumble features in games like Astrobot can drain the battery much faster (4-6 hours). Overall the dualsense is a much better control (to me).
Battery life without rumble is one thing, my life without rumble is meaningless - so I'm not turning it off!

Very curious to find out what this alleged Sony answer to game pass will be. I mostly want games from the old generations, I don't even need to use my old discs, I'll buy those suckers again for a modest fee. Most of all, give me PS2 games. SSX Tricky, Onimusha 2-3, The Prince of Persias, Viewtiful Joe, just give me the gaaaaaames

If it's just some netflix for games model with no BC I won't give a shit and will rather just get an Xbox S to have alongside my PS5.

Does anyone know if DS4's are now made with a plastic finish instead of a shiny one. Can't find the answer on Google. Haven't brought one since 2016.

2020 would of been very different given during furlough I played and completed quite a few PS titles, which I never normally would of had the time to complete.

19 hours on Driveclub, that was it for me in 2021!
Nice, I downloaded it again before they took it down, always quite liked it but never got much into it. I have downloaded some of the later Need for Speed games through EA Play and they always bore me to tears within minutes, I might give old Driveclub another go.

Nice, I downloaded it again before they took it down, always quite liked it but never got much into it. I have downloaded some of the later Need for Speed games through EA Play and they always bore me to tears within minutes, I might give old Driveclub another go.

It's really annoying they didn't disable the network aspect of it, constantly get notified that it can't connect to the servers etc. but the core functionality still works and it's still a really good driving game IMO :)

Back
Top Bottom