FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

I remember reading exactly the same leaks about F1 2022 a couple of months ago.
Cross play never happened.
Also he has stated the PC version is going to be next gen, when it seems very unlikely this will happen, as PC specs haven't changed much in the past year and EA are not going to release a game they are not confident will work smoothly on an average PC.

I won't believe anything these days until it is announced.

All this tells me is people say they want a simulation but really they dont. Not you personally just in general.
I think it depends on peoples take on simulation - fact is no company will ever simulate football as you cant simulate human emotion etc
Back in the day WE7 was one of my favorite games but it wasn't a football simulation

I think better word is representation of football
i want midfifield battles and realistic movement , i dont want the AI or myself passing backward 50% of the time - it has to be engaging
I want good players to be good and tall players to win headers more often than not
I want defenders to be shit upfront and decent at the back (depending on their stats)

FIFA22 NG doesn't achieve all these things but it does a good job in most - i can tell the difference in good players and bad players in my career mode , i can tell the difference between Div 1 and the championship. The AI is believable in there attacking and defending and the mistakes it makes looks in context with the situation more often than not - e..g not fouling for the sake of fouling , mis placing a pass because its forced rather than just to increase the pass error stats

Sure it can be improved a lot but single player mode gets much worse press than it deserves, especially cost to play time. £40 for something i'm still playing daily , and would play more if i had the time, 9 months on.

Right, that's it, I'm caving and giving it another go. Sucker that I am.

Aimed at no-one in particular, the whole 90 minute simulation thing has been done to death. It's 60 minutes, for starters, and it's all about scale and balance of overpowering or underpowering a player's/team's physical and technical abilities in condensing 60 minutes of goals, shots, fouls and cards into 10-15 minutes. In my view, roughly, FIFA is 5-10 years past its peak in that regard, and PES 10-20. And that's why so many still play those games of yore.

Some make the gameplay faster and it's called arcade. Slower and it's a sim. it rarely stacks up. World Cup 2010 and PES5 are at the opposite ends of the speed scale, but both are beautifully balanced, represent the sport superbly, and are fucking magic.

Anyway, see you later today when - after one tyrannosaurus rex save attempt - I'm back in Dev Mode and Retroarch faster than you can say git gud.

In all of these videos, the majority of your play consists of a ruler-straight pass through an empty midfield and a shot, over and over and over again... Do you not see how barren the midfield is, and how little thought is going into building a move?

In-fact, there is no "building a move", it's just regain possession in defence, one pass to a midfielder, one pass to a striker and shoot... Over and over, except for the situations where your manual passing means the pass is off-target.

At no point are you challenged on the ball - and nor do your AI-controlled players challenge the AI team. They all shift backwards in unison like there's a pole running through them, but there is no resistance, no pressure. Just "come on through, friend".

Every game I play, 90% of my attacks look like this. Over and over again. The example I've provided here isn't a counter-attack - the AI is supposed to be defending. They do absolutely nothing to stop you, and in just a couple of passes, you should score. It's nothing like football.

This counter-attack is another example, and something I see over and over again. There's no resistance to you, you can do whatever you like to them and they will let you. I find this utterly boring and soul-destroying.

After that clip, the AI regains possession and, if not for your one-man pressing (because the rest of your team don't give a shit what happens), they'd do the exact same thing to you because your midfield does nothing to stop them - this clip is immediately after the above one.

It's just running back and forth end-to-end with no thought required to create a shooting opportunity. You may as well be running along an empty training pitch to shoot, over and over, and I don't get how that's fun.

@bsmaff posted this video of his ridiculous game as Exeter vs Liverpool, where the scoreline ends up 5-6 because of this - and I don't understand how anyone can defend this game... cos the AI certainly can't. They've never heard of defending.

I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun - I just want a football game based on football, not on the eSports ideals that A) all non-controlled players should stand still and never interfere with play, and B) more goals is more fun.
Yeah well said, Chris. For years we've been trying to get that kind of FIFA to be less about being able to pass perfectly in-stride and more resistance throughout the midfield. Meaning midfielders with their back to goal, and forced to run to provide openings - not just to run streaks to draw defenders out of position.

Even when we do get somewhat close to it, there are other completely illogical decisions made. The 1v1 defending, the committed decision not to cross the ball by the CPU, attacking players retreating on 50/50 balls in the box.

No fun being spoiled at all. I think at some point we just accept it and try to make the best out of it. If there's something to work with of course.

For me, the most important values have been to get high marking, and high error values. The high pass error with a fairly high pass speed (40) has really made for a more believable game. Yes it speeds up at times, but the goal is to humanize the CPU by making their attempts more like actual attempts - rather than just perfect passing that finishes with a strike each time. Many like a lower pass speed, in hopes of slowing the game down, but all that does is make passing much more accurate because it is easier to control - and there is never a true representation of over-hitting the passes.

These two matches, pre-patch, represent the fun I'm having. Yes, there are issues (CB Jockey/ignoring the run in the Portsmouth-Shrewsbury match), but its' FIFA and sacrifices are needed as always.

Played two games on a old career started probably during the 10 hour trial.
No it's not a great game ,not sure if it's a good game.
But ,I had fun playing it , just like enjoyed FIFA 20 (12 seasons).
So it surprised me in a positive way.

10 min WC semi pass/shooting all else manual OS sliders.
Bit too easy ,guess playing it manual will sort that or LEG difficulty.
Movement still looks ass ,but can live with that as long as other things are ok.
CPU played an ok game ,possession kept well not banging it up front constantly.

I also play this with Arminia Bielefeld in the zweite ,so perhaps lowering FT error a bit ,some crappy shots taken.

So ,enjoyable ,let's see how long this will stay just that ,but positively surprised (or starved for football)

So after almost 15 games on this ,here's my take on it.
WC 10 min semi OS sliders.
Plays pretty well ,it looks like football ,CPU plays long/short/sideways/back.
Pretty much like playing a human opponent.
Not to twitchy but a good pace ,best Fifa I've played on 22 for sure.
The only downside for me was that WC became a bit too easy after around 10 games ,CPU still pretty good offensively ,at least up till the last third then pretty blunt in attack.
So I switched it up to LEG difficulty.

Big mistake,no change to anything else but difficulty.
All of a sudden CPU started making all sorts of trick moves ,short passing only ,all the way into my box ,mixed up with all sorts of skill moves ,not dribbling ,but skill moves!
In my two games on LEG the CPU didn't cross once ,not one shoot from outside the box ,not one single long pass.
It was like being online Vs a 10 year old FUT kid.
Absolutely horrific!
(I wonder if turning off competitor mode will make it better it's not an option to turn off in WC).

Went back and played my last game on LEG but on WC ,made two changes ,went from 95 FT error (CPU) to 85 ,and also lowered passing error by 5 for the CPU and had a great game.
Got beat at home by a mid table team (Hoffenheim) didn't feel cheated made a mistake leading up to their 2-1 goal late in the game.
If this can hold up for the rest of my games I'll gladly keep going for more games.

WC with some alterations ,plays pretty good.
LEG awful

All of a sudden CPU started making all sorts of trick moves ,short passing only ,all the way into my box ,mixed up with all sorts of skill moves ,not dribbling ,but skill moves!
In my two games on LEG the CPU didn't cross once ,not one shoot from outside the box ,not one single long pass.
Absolutely horrific!
(I wonder if turning off competitor mode will make it better it's not an option to turn off in WC).
I think you can turn off the competitor mode in legendary and it in-turn turns it off in all the other difficulties.

Was one of the very first things I turned off as I think it's main function is to make the ai simulate a fut pro - absolutely no idea who in fresh hell would actually want that as a feature.

I think you can turn off the competitor mode in legendary and it in-turn turns it off in all the other difficulties.

Was one of the very first things I turned off as I think it's main function is to make the ai simulate a fut pro - absolutely no idea who in fresh hell would actually want that as a feature.
Yeah i'll tryk that ,game played absolutely horrible on LEG ,didn't really see that on WC even with that turned on.
Thanks buddy!

So after almost 15 games on this ,here's my take on it.
WC 10 min semi OS sliders.
Plays pretty well ,it looks like football ,CPU plays long/short/sideways/back.
Pretty much like playing a human opponent.
Not to twitchy but a good pace ,best Fifa I've played on 22 for sure.
The only downside for me was that WC became a bit too easy after around 10 games ,CPU still pretty good offensively ,at least up till the last third then pretty blunt in attack.
So I switched it up to LEG difficulty.

Absolutely horrific!

Went back and played my last game on LEG but on WC ,made two changes ,went from 95 FT error (CPU) to 85 ,and also lowered passing error by 5 for the CPU and had a great game.
Got beat at home by a mid table team (Hoffenheim) didn't feel cheated made a mistake leading up to their 2-1 goal late in the game.
If this can hold up for the rest of my games I'll gladly keep going for more games.

WC with some alterations ,plays pretty good.
LEG awful

Same feeling here having reinstalled and on default sliders. They clearly gave up developing the intelligence beyond World Class, and simply made the CPU near flawless in and around the box. And with Competitor Mode on it's comical. Laughable to watch Morecambe's front three all play like a 2004 Ronaldinho.

But World Class is too easy. The CPU back line is so generous on that level and lower. They'll push up so high and totally overcommit giving you acres of space on the counter.

It does give you some nice moments but oh boy the alien nonsense is hard to look past.

And somehow the CPU's five yard lofted passes remain after 932 patches. As does the blur as the ball passes behind the net. Just... How?

[types a few paragraphs, deletes because who cares]

Same feeling here having reinstalled and on default sliders. They clearly gave up developing the intelligence beyond World Class, and simply made the CPU near flawless in and around the box. And with Competitor Mode on it's comical. Laughable to watch Morecambe's front three all play like a 2004 Ronaldinho.

But World Class is too easy. The CPU back line is so generous on that level and lower. They'll push up so high and totally overcommit giving you acres of space on the counter.

It does give you some nice moments but oh boy the alien nonsense is hard to look past.

And somehow the CPU's five yard lofted passes remain after 932 patches. As does the blur as the ball passes behind the net. Just... How?

[types a few paragraphs, deletes because who cares]
Yeah I try too handicap myself as much as possible ,semi passing will most likely be manual soon ,manual through ball (it's way too easy to bang it down the wings).

I just had a real crap game on WC,my first back on it from leg was brilliant,but this one Vs a top 5-6 team (Leverkusen) was so bad.
No defending to speak of from them ,except some good pressure on my back four trying to pass it up front ,but their defence was pure crap.
On top of that they played a very fast short passing game ,to the extreme ,3-4 passes inside my box while twisting and turning with it constantly ,looked awful.
I beat them 6-2 ,could have been 8-2 or 8-6 too (10 min).

Before my last game I played FIFA 20 and that ,as i expected ,felt much more life like ,very sharp ai ,mixed ut up a lot, tougher D ,only had a 0-0 Vs a fellow bottom team.
I'll keep this up for a few more games ,there's quite a lot of good in this ,but some horrible shit as well.
The highs are better than 20 ,but the lows are far worse than 20.

Been on and off this game since last week ,some games brilliant ,some not!
Legendary isn't for me ,CPU just play horrible no matter what opposition you play.
Super fast ,no crossing ,no outside shooting etc etc.
And WC not being competitive enough for me ,semi passing/shooting manual through ball/all others.

But since @Matt10 advised me to stay on WC but use the acceleration discrepancy (49/50) I've had 3 very good games ,1-1 1-0 and 2-2 all games very tough and CPU really plays "organic" and mixing it up.

All this tells me is people say they want a simulation but really they dont. Not you personally just in general.
At this stage, I’d settle for just the really really basic stuff to look like football. For example, the movement of the players’ limbs.. When companies develop motor racing games, they spend ages getting the physics of the car movement right. EA don’t even bother to get a player’s leg to move like a human being. It twists like a piece of spaghetti - a piece of spaghetti on steroids.

Last edited:
At this stage, I’d settle for just the really really basic stuff to look like football. For example, the movement of the players’ limbs.. When companies develop motor racing games, they spend ages getting the physics of the car movement right. EA don’t even bother to get a player’s leg to move like a human being. It twists like a piece of spaghetti - a piece of spaghetti on steroids.
Couldn't agree more (see the post I've just made in the FIFA 23 thread, which looks to be the same).

Problem is, everyone says "it's a game, and a game should be a game". Somehow, this stuff doesn't matter to anyone else (outside of us "cranks") - because what matters is instant responsiveness, and who cares if your player's legs turn to spaghetti and/or pass through each other to kick the ball. That's just lols.

Couldn't agree more (see the post I've just made in the FIFA 23 thread, which looks to be the same).

Problem is, everyone says "it's a game, and a game should be a game". Somehow, this stuff doesn't matter to anyone else (outside of us "cranks") - because what matters is instant responsiveness, and who cares if your player's legs turn to spaghetti and/or pass through each other to kick the ball. That's just lols.
And still some company’s (espcially in racing) manage to get it right… at least super good. Nothing is perfect.
You just can’t image how many times I’m comparing our football situation with the racing scene (I’m enjoying for 16 month now).
The same craving I have reg. football games is fulfilled in sim racing. Maybe that’s why I’m moving away from the football (games and real life) a bit and towards Motorsport (games and real life again). I’m a “sim person” with an imaginative mind. 🤷‍♂️
And when I was a single player focused gamer, my community and the games I play helped me enjoy online multiplayer.
sorry for being slightly off topic (and maybe repeating myself) but i see similarities… just saying. 👋

Last edited:
Wait…the ball still blurs when you score a goal? How haven’t EA patched that shit yet when FIFA 23 lands in two months?

I tried something the other night, my intention was to improve the foot planting:
Full manual
World class
Game speed: fast
Sliders: latest OS sliders ( thanks @Matt10 ) with the following changes:
- Speed 10/10
- Acceleration 47/47
- First touch error 15/15
Played 4 matches, maybe it was placebo, but they were the best I've ever played in 22.
If someone is inclined to try this, please do.

I tried something the other night, my intention was to improve the foot planting:
Full manual
World class
Game speed: fast
Sliders: latest OS sliders ( thanks @Matt10 ) with the following changes:
- Speed 10/10
- Acceleration 47/47
- First touch error 15/15
Played 4 matches, maybe it was placebo, but they were the best I've ever played in 22.
If someone is inclined to try this, please do.
will give these a try. I like to try non conventional values and I remember a while ago playing fast improved fifa16 with certain slider changes. Some funky values cause a non expected change

My big thing with FIFA 22 right now is just getting the CPU to play like a human. It's tricky, especially at higher levels, but we've made a lot of progress on the sliders to allow that to be a reality more than it was before. It's refreshing to see the CPU try to break me down, and struggle like I do. On Legendary, they definitely like their driven passes, but the concept of the current set is great power = great responsibility. The higher pass error brings that into play a lot because it's about contact on the ball and how the power on that ball is controlled. This results in a variety of passes that weren't available before. Before, the passes were all in the player's running stride - which is what you see a lot on default and in FUT. Now, there are mis-hit passes or miscommunication-based ones that I like such as overhit, into space or simply trying to break the lines.

The slider base is here in the spoiler, and in the video I was testing Legendary, but with a user advantage of acceleration at 50/49 - in addition, pass error at 68/78.

r5Lhw8.png

My big thing with FIFA 22 right now is just getting the CPU to play like a human. It's tricky, especially at higher levels, but we've made a lot of progress on the sliders to allow that to be a reality more than it was before. It's refreshing to see the CPU try to break me down, and struggle like I do. On Legendary, they definitely like their driven passes, but the concept of the current set is great power = great responsibility. The higher pass error brings that into play a lot because it's about contact on the ball and how the power on that ball is controlled. This results in a variety of passes that weren't available before. Before, the passes were all in the player's running stride - which is what you see a lot on default and in FUT. Now, there are mis-hit passes or miscommunication-based ones that I like such as overhit, into space or simply trying to break the lines.

The slider base is here in the spoiler, and in the video I was testing Legendary, but with a user advantage of acceleration at 50/49 - in addition, pass error at 68/78.

r5Lhw8.png

When I set slider values from the OS website 2 days ago, those are the same values, right?! Just had a quick glance but those values seem the same, afair.
Thanks for the effort! 👌

Edit: playing fuma, I started with the latest set and forgot to lower the pass and shot error to 50. I lowered it to 55 now thinking a bit of error is fine. Do you think 50 or 55 makes a difference here for fuma players?!

Last edited:

Every single goal I see on Twitter, I just want to reply and say "where's the midfield"? Every. Single. Time. But it's like nobody really notices that it's not there any more. Nor that there's 30+ shots per game. Only "WOW what a goal".

I honestly think that's just it, now. Midfield gone. If they put any kind of defensive resistance in there, too many people would say "there used to be way more shots per game than this, this is boring".

I'm in no way a fan of this game but some context in that clip is needed.

He robs the ball off the opposition near his own box. Their LB is pushed well on, the CMs have moved into a central position - possibly expecting a cross - and he breaks on the counter and scores.

Any given weekend of professional football will see countless goals like that.

I do think people are so hell bent on seeing a perfect replica of real football, which is near on impossible to recreate in a game, that they will look for the bad in every clip shared.

I don't see what the midfield is supposed to do in that video? I played in Midfied and if my winger has the ball in that position, I'd be pushing into the box. If he is tackled or loses it, I'm not going to be able to cover the amount of ground needed to create a desired 'midfield battle' as it would be humanly impossible to make that much distance up.

Let's hope in the next 6 months, some company releases a perfect clone of real life footy, as this forum is just full of negativity. I'm not even a fan of FIFA, but come on, there is pointing out glaring issues, then there is being OCD.

Back
Top Bottom