FIFA 22 Discussion (Console Versions)

I'm in no way a fan of this game but some context in that clip is needed.

He robs the ball off the opposition near his own box. Their LB is pushed well on, the CMs have moved into a central position - possibly expecting a cross - and he breaks on the counter and scores.

Any given weekend of professional football will see countless goals like that.

I do think people are so hell bent on seeing a perfect replica of real football, which is near on impossible to recreate in a game, that they will look for the bad in every clip shared.

I don't see what the midfield is supposed to do in that video? I played in Midfied and if my winger has the ball in that position, I'd be pushing into the box. If he is tackled or loses it, I'm not going to be able to cover the amount of ground needed to create a desired 'midfield battle' as it would be humanly impossible to make that much distance up.

Let's hope in the next 6 months, some company releases a perfect clone of real life footy, as this forum is just full of negativity. I'm not even a fan of FIFA, but come on, there is pointing out glaring issues, then there is being OCD.
I take your point, and this is a counter-attack so it doesn't look too out-of-place. But A) the vast majority of the game is one counter-attack after another because the midfield is so disengaged (hence there being ~30 shots per game in a very small timeframe), and B) when it isn't a counter-attacking opportunity, the midfield still isn't there.

It's not just nit-picking or complaining for the sake of it - an entire element of football (the midfield battle, having to pick the right passes and use the right players for those passes) has gone.

I went into it a little more in the post below, but see this throw-in clip particularly. No danger from there, but just waltzes from defence to attack. The vast, vast majority of the game looks like this.

Also, when so many attacks are counter-attacks, it's not really a highlight any more.

In all of these videos, the majority of your play consists of a ruler-straight pass through an empty midfield and a shot, over and over and over again... Do you not see how barren the midfield is, and how little thought is going into building a move?

In-fact, there is no "building a move", it's just regain possession in defence, one pass to a midfielder, one pass to a striker and shoot... Over and over, except for the situations where your manual passing means the pass is off-target.

At no point are you challenged on the ball - and nor do your AI-controlled players challenge the AI team. They all shift backwards in unison like there's a pole running through them, but there is no resistance, no pressure. Just "come on through, friend".

Every game I play, 90% of my attacks look like this. Over and over again. The example I've provided here isn't a counter-attack - the AI is supposed to be defending. They do absolutely nothing to stop you, and in just a couple of passes, you should score. It's nothing like football.

This counter-attack is another example, and something I see over and over again. There's no resistance to you, you can do whatever you like to them and they will let you. I find this utterly boring and soul-destroying.

After that clip, the AI regains possession and, if not for your one-man pressing (because the rest of your team don't give a shit what happens), they'd do the exact same thing to you because your midfield does nothing to stop them - this clip is immediately after the above one.

It's just running back and forth end-to-end with no thought required to create a shooting opportunity. You may as well be running along an empty training pitch to shoot, over and over, and I don't get how that's fun.

@bsmaff posted this video of his ridiculous game as Exeter vs Liverpool, where the scoreline ends up 5-6 because of this - and I don't understand how anyone can defend this game... cos the AI certainly can't. They've never heard of defending.

I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun - I just want a football game based on football, not on the eSports ideals that A) all non-controlled players should stand still and never interfere with play, and B) more goals is more fun.

Last edited:
I take your point, and this is a counter-attack so it doesn't look too out-of-place. But A) the vast majority of the game is one counter-attack after another because the midfield is so disengaged (hence there being ~30 shots per game in a very small timeframe), and B) when it isn't a counter-attacking opportunity, the midfield still isn't there.

It's not just nit-picking or complaining for the sake of it - an entire element of football (the midfield battle, having to pick the right passes and use the right players for those passes) has gone.

I went into it a little more in the post below, but see this throw-in clip particularly. No danger from there, but just waltzes from defence to attack. The vast, vast majority of the game looks like this.

Also, when so many attacks are counter-attacks, it's not really a highlight any more.

Agreed. Such a shame what the 1v1 "feature" took away from the midfield of FIFA 16, 17 and even 18. What has to be done to get any kind of resistance is raise marking and tighten up the lines significantly, then manufacture a way that the CPU isn't hell-bent on breaking lines constantly. I highly doubt it will be even a sniff of concern addressed in FIFA 23. This is basically what we're left with. The hope is that something inadvertently helps it.

Every single goal I see on Twitter, I just want to reply and say "where's the midfield"? Every. Single. Time. But it's like nobody really notices that it's not there any more. Nor that there's 30+ shots per game. Only "WOW what a goal".

I honestly think that's just it, now. Midfield gone. If they put any kind of defensive resistance in there, too many people would say "there used to be way more shots per game than this, this is boring".
Well i am not big fan of FIFA-physics, but these ball physics , after FIFA 2020 and every next year to worse.... The ball in this clips, looks like 5-tons heavy when rolling "free", and under players control, it looks like those lady-bug balls from gas station.

I mean for someone coming from the other side, is too difficult to get familiar with the game feeling, when from the moment of cement, goes to the extra responsive madness. Don't know what to tell. I think for me , it is the very first missing link, when i can't even feel the flow of control.

The midfiled, to be honest, is missing in both games, more or less, so i have stopped ticking on it, as an issue. I've taken my decision, that footy videos games, are mostly played in 1st and final third of the digital pitch...

As for the 1vs1 feature in both games, but let's stay in FIFA only, to be more accurate..

Lately i have either became complete insane, or i am tired of watching gameplay clips, where the CPU controled defending teamates, while at least they are running backwards for reason (kudos to this :P ), in most crucial moments, they either stop, or change direction, or take 2~3 steps to another direction and then back again, just splitting the defense space apart, or leaving empty, for some crucial seconds, the space in the field, they have to "guard"...

Trouble is, I think we are beating a broken drum with these companies producing footy games.

The dollar is in fast paced, card based gambling, playing a game built for kids who want to score rabonas and dribble past 11 players every time.

I still enjoy PES21, I don't play it non-stop so that helps, but other than that it's retro or nothing.

Trouble is, I think we are beating a broken drum with these companies producing footy games.

The dollar is in fast paced, card based gambling, playing a game built for kids who want to score rabonas and dribble past 11 players every time.

I still enjoy PES21, I don't play it non-stop so that helps, but other than that it's retro or nothing.
I agree completely. I really don't think it can ever go back, or there would be too many complaints about games feeling "boring" without the current "take it in turns to shoot" gameplay that the fanbase have become accustomed to.

It's just so tragic. As is desperately holding onto the hope that FIFA will try harder to emulate football at some point in the future, I suppose.

I just can't bear to see all of the genuinely awe-inspiring gameplay elements they've put together, all ruined (if you want to play a football-like experience, not the eSport it has become) by how warped the basics are for the sake of "fun". And yet, even the FUT players rip it to shreds and say it's terrible, so who the hell is happy here?

(Other than those rolling around in the piles of money it makes.)

I agree completely. I really don't think it can ever go back, or there would be too many complaints about games feeling "boring" without the current "take it in turns to shoot" gameplay that the fanbase have become accustomed to.

Hoping the one and only default gameplay will suddenly go back to football is indeed stupid, but I really can't understand why there's no addressing this via sliders (obviously talking about a new slider: "AI brainz / defending" or something!) or any other option. I can only assume EA doesn't give a fuck until there's a hashtag trending or they really don't want to do something like that. I'm not sure which one it is, but the CM community seems to just accept and play whatever trash they are served, while the Pro clubs community (I think it must be a smaller community than the CM crowd) can at least get a hashtag going...

There's sometimes outrage about a lack of new features, or bugs, but frankly what's the point if the gameplay is a shallow, boring & brainless affair.

Last edited:
Even if there were new sliders introduced in FIFA 23, EA 24, 25 etc; it still wouldn’t fix the games and give us realism because the fundamentals in the core gameplay code can’t be changed unless EA patch it. Which they do regularly with updates - and usually, the game gets faster and/or worst with every update.

These days, I think the best bet for the single player career mode crowd is to just stick with your favourite football games from the past. We know EA / Konami won’t keep updating them and generally, the Ignite Engine FIFA games and the old PS2 PES games are simply better experiences than modern day games.

I dusted off FIFA 16 today and it’s so much fun compared to FIFA 22. The CPU actually plays the ball around the midfield! And there are penalty kicks! In a football game! Remember them?

plus graphically, FIFA looks like shit these days. On PS5 version of fifa you’ve still got that weird glow around some players heads and that blurry effect when the ball goes near the goal. On PS4 / PC without mods; the pitches are dull and the colours are all washed out.

FIFA 16 looks much better graphically despite some weird looking player models. Why is this? Why is a game that released in 2015 better than one which launched in 2021?!

it’s very sad but it’s very true. FIFA 23 is going to be the same old BS catered for the addicted kids who buy fifa year in year out regardless of how it plays as they’re more interested in showing their latest FUT pull to their friends who also do the same.

It’s not about what happens on the virtual pitch now, I would say a big majority of FIFA players just don’t care that much. They just want to talk about SBCs and ‘Halloween Edition Mohamed Salah’.

It’s over for us. And it has been for a few years now.

Agreed. Such a shame what the 1v1 "feature" took away from the midfield of FIFA 16, 17 and even 18. What has to be done to get any kind of resistance is raise marking and tighten up the lines significantly, then manufacture a way that the CPU isn't hell-bent on breaking lines constantly. I highly doubt it will be even a sniff of concern addressed in FIFA 23. This is basically what we're left with. The hope is that something inadvertently helps it.
The 11v11 capture inadvertently helped, but it needs much more work. I feel like another way they could address it is just give us something they call 'assisted defending' as a toggle on and off switch - and just put the code back in from 16! Why we have 8 million on and off toggles but they can't give us any which could help out the sim crowd is beyond me.

well this is actually am improvement over 20 and 21 to me. 20 and 21 are same thing i think. anyway hi all.:BYE:
Welcome back ,long time no see!
20 to me is not the same game as 21 ,21 is horrible and unplayable ,very weird game tbh!
Think 20 is more end to end Vs 22 ,but also tougher and a smarter ai.
Then again ,that's just me

I tried something the other night, my intention was to improve the foot planting:
Full manual
World class
Game speed: fast
Sliders: latest OS sliders ( thanks @Matt10 ) with the following changes:
- Speed 10/10
- Acceleration 47/47
- First touch error 15/15
Played 4 matches, maybe it was placebo, but they were the best I've ever played in 22.
If someone is inclined to try this, please do.
Started a Champions League with these changes had really good games. Thanks

Welcome back ,long time no see!
20 to me is not the same game as 21 ,21 is horrible and unplayable ,very weird game tbh!
Think 20 is more end to end Vs 22 ,but also tougher and a smarter ai.
Then again ,that's just me
yeah, i really meant the looks of it, i haven't played 21 or 22 much yet because i just got EA Play. 22 players look better shape wise quickly noticed. but after awhile all Fifa seems like Fifa doesn't it?
i played 19 and 20 a lot then moved on to other stuff been away from football games for a couple of years.

yeah, i really meant the looks of it, i haven't played 21 or 22 much yet because i just got EA Play. 22 players look better shape wise quickly noticed. but after awhile all Fifa seems like Fifa doesn't it?
i played 19 and 20 a lot then moved on to other stuff been away from football games for a couple of years.
Yeah ,they do tend to feel like FIFA's after a while .
Same here ,pretty much lost interest in football games after Pes 19/Fifa 19 ,played a lot of fifa 20 though ,but that's been about it.
Better sports games or better games in general out there ,tired of being pissed off playing ,so it's a blessing being away from them

Well i am not big fan of FIFA-physics, but these ball physics , after FIFA 2020 and every next year to worse.... The ball in this clips, looks like 5-tons heavy when rolling "free", and under players control, it looks like those lady-bug balls from gas station.

I mean for someone coming from the other side, is too difficult to get familiar with the game feeling, when from the moment of cement, goes to the extra responsive madness. Don't know what to tell. I think for me , it is the very first missing link, when i can't even feel the flow of control.

The midfiled, to be honest, is missing in both games, more or less, so i have stopped ticking on it, as an issue. I've taken my decision, that footy videos games, are mostly played in 1st and final third of the digital pitch...
It s not even a match the other game to this when it comes to the cheer variety that happens on the goal mouth or inside penalty area, the other game is too rigid and has much less variety in the penalty area

Has anybody tried the Operation Sports new slider set? Working nicely for me at the moment. The only change I made was Sprint Spd at 30 and Acc. at 45 because 35/50 was a little fast for me. I’m finding lower scoring games and more midfield involvement.

Attachments

• A7BE3436-E142-4F83-9346-2D85AD0A76CF.png
    A7BE3436-E142-4F83-9346-2D85AD0A76CF.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Has anybody tried the Operation Sports new slider set? Working nicely for me at the moment. The only change I made was Sprint Spd at 30 and Acc. at 45 because 35/50 was a little fast for me. I’m finding lower scoring games and more midfield involvement.

Yeah - i tend to use em' with a couple of little tweaks here and there to try and eliminate some of the bonkers erratic movements (quite simmilar to the ones you've used here, actually)

I find that once you find the slider settings that work for you, it's a perfectly enjoyable game with lots to like. I've played mostly Pes 21 (and enjoyed it) for the past couple of years, but as an xbox owner (so no gameplay mods or option files) it's run it's course for me now.

It just chaps my ass that I/we have to do it.......all because they've kept changing the game to please a whining online crowd that don't even like football

Last edited:
How are you liking the acceleration at 45? We've never gone that low out of fear of losing the fatigue effects (lower acc = more stamina). I imagine it slows things down to an acceptable level?

How are you liking the acceleration at 45? We've never gone that low out of fear of losing the fatigue effects (lower acc = more stamina). I imagine it slows things down to an acceptable level?
You know, I’m not entirely sure mate. I think your speed/acc settings might be better but I’ve come from a few months of playing PES21 again (until the glaring flaws became too much again) and I think the slower gameplay on that made me not ready to play too fast just yet but you’re correct on the stamina, it doesn’t seem to drop much at 45 for acc.

I was concerned at the first touch error being that high but I think it really does make a difference in highlighting technically good players/teams from weaker ones which isn’t too noticeable with it set below 80. Shit players feel shit and shit teams play shit which is what you want.

With a bit more testing (and taking into account that the gameplay changes speedwise randomly to the tune of +\- 3 places on the slider for Speed/Acc from game to game depending on the stadium, weather effect and time of day) I’ve found 31/46 to be the most realistic speedwise but not in terms of fatigue, which definitely increases as you up the acceleration, but I find the erratic body/leg movements start getting more noticeable past 47.

Last edited:
You know, I’m not entirely sure mate. I think your speed/acc settings might be better but I’ve come from a few months of playing PES21 again (until the glaring flaws became too much again) and I think the slower gameplay on that made me not ready to play too fast just yet but you’re correct on the stamina, it doesn’t seem to drop much at 45 for acc.

I was concerned at the first touch error being that high but I think it really does make a difference in highlighting technically good players/teams from weaker ones which isn’t too noticeable with it set below 80. Shit players feel shit and shit teams play shit which is what you want.
the flaws are so obvious in pes 21 after a while, the one dimensional gameplay near or inside the area...it s too obvious.it s too rigid

With a bit more testing (and taking into account that the gameplay changes speedwise randomly to the tune of +\- 3 places on the slider for Speed/Acc from game to game depending on the stadium, weather effect and time of day) I’ve found 31/46 to be the most realistic speedwise but not in terms of fatigue, which definitely increases as you up the acceleration, but I find the erratic body/leg movements start getting more noticeable past 47.
Will have to try that out. I've always felt that fatigue for the user is still there regardless of acceleration. I just think the indicators don't match up. However, any way to make the animations more smooth is always a plus.

Scored this, it's nothing too special, but it felt really rewarding on full manual.
Funny to see this after playing some eFootball and fully realizing how far away from next gen graphics it is. Fifa 2022, when not displaying some horrendous animations or unrealistic passes, at least looks superb.

Playing os sliders on world class, in defense, there is mainly the waiting game to be played, right!? AI is passing like crazy every time i want to lunge for the ball using X. Defensive stand plus sprinting while covering lanes to their receivers is all I do till they finally play a bad ass. 🤷‍♂️ They seem to not like to go one on one… always passing when I’m close to battle them. Sometimes it looks absolutely crazy, when they pass like crazy in a super fast way in super close space (next to or in my pen area)...
First I thought it was me pushing to hard… but when I stay off to just cover receivers, game slows down a bit bit still they pass unnaturally good/awkwar/frantic…
on professional or with lower league teams its not that bad (but I’m missing a bit of a challenge when in offense).

any tips here?! I already watched some def. tutorial videos again. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Almost done with my first season with Arminia Bielefeld ,still not thinking this is a good/great game ,but good enough.
A few things still pissing me off.
The shortpassing in to the box ,not as frequently as it was before changing my sliders (OS with a sprint discrepancy +1 for the CPU)

Goalkeeper (human ) lets in too many long rangers.
I'm still on the old set (previous one but with GK to 45)

Good enough but not great.

the flaws are so obvious in pes 21 after a while, the one dimensional gameplay near or inside the area...it s too obvious.it s too rigid
Yeah. It’s sad and the only way to bypass much of that is by going FUMA but on the higher difficulty levels you have to be so good or play so basic/route 1 (through-ball spam after repeated long clearances - you’ll always win about 50%) that it ruins the point. The ‘semi’ passing in PES21 is too assisted compared to FIFA.

Back
Top Bottom